Geisinger Wilkes Barre birth options - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 02-10-2014, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Does anyone have any experience with the midwives and/or doctors at Geisinger Wilkes Barre?  I have one friend who had a very negative experience with one doc there, but it was 6 years ago, so wondering what the climate is like there.  Do they have tubs for birthing? Are the nurses pushy with meds or respectful of natural births?  Looking for some personal experiences so I can get a better sense of the practice.  Thanks!!

#2 of 2 Old 02-13-2014, 05:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm sorry I don't have personal experience but I researched my birthing options in the area about 3 years ago for my 3rd pregnancy with my almost 2 year old.  I'm located east of Moses Taylor in Scranton and after my horrible 2nd birth at Moses researched as many hospitals as I could. 

From my research I only got one positive comment about either of the WB hospitals.  It was for Geisinger but it was from a nursing student who went through some schooling there for a short period of time.  In general from comments made here on Mothering and from people IRL the WB hospitals have a terrible rep.  The long and short of it is, is that there is lots of talk about being 'holistic', 'mother-baby friendly', 'BF'ing friendly' etc. but the actual experiences are far from that and sometimes nightmarish.  The general consensus seemed to be that Geisinger was the better of the two WB hospitals but still not great. 

Depending on where your at in WB, Leigh Valley Hospital/Danville hospitals are a better option.  If you are farther from those hospitals the only other ones I would personally consider are Lourdes Hospital in NY just outside of Binghamton (I had a great 1st delivery there but don't take their BF'ing advice even the LC's give bad info but they are supportive) or Wayne Memorial in Honesdale.  The Wayne Memorial Hospital is as good as it gets towards having a natural delivery in a hospital, especially if you get the CNM"s there, who are pretty great. 

The only local hospital I have experience with is Moses.  Please, I can not stress it enough, DO NOT GO THERE!!! I was talked down to and treated like garbage the whole time I was there.  First of all, they don't seem to have enough birthing rooms and their rooms are ONLY birthing rooms, meaning as soon as you deliver they are shoving you out the door.  There is only one tub for the whole floor to use so depending on when you get there, good luck using it, the nurses aren't helpful in getting you down to use it either. I had no interest in using it knowing there were other ladies needing it.  It wasn't relaxing at all. 

I was 'lucky' enough to get the head of obstetrics.  First he broke my water without consulting me or me giving him my permission, while I was in the middle of getting some much needed sleep.  When I felt the need to push I was checked and told I couldn't possibly be ready to push since I was only at a 7.  When I informed them I delivered my first baby in 15 min's after reaching a 7 I was scoffed at and told I had hours left to go (no epidural or pain meds so it wasn't comforting to hear that).  I began giving little light pushes anyway as the nurse left.  It hurt not to.  DD was born 12 min's later the head of obstetric's got there just in time to catch.  DD was tossed on my chest and sat there for a few seconds and then she was wisked away.  About 30 seconds after delivery (with not even a separation bleed or any problems whatsoever) the OB told me he suspected a uterine rupture.  Looking back over my medical records there is NO medical indication for him to have suspected a uterine rupture.  I was feeling fine and have no prior uterine surgeries so there was nothing to indicate I was more likely to have a UR.  When he told me that he was acting frantic and told me he needed to do an exam immediately. 

I was still in a fog and agreed to an 'exam'.  The 'exam' turned into him shoving his arm, nearly up to his elbow into me to rip out my placenta.  I screamed and tried to kick him off me all the nurses did was 'shush' me and hold my legs down to allow me to be assaulted a little better.  I had zero pain medication and it was the worst pain I have ever been in in my entire life.  I ended up with PTSD that was debilitating still occasionally affects me today.  I still have dreams of being 'raped' by my Dr's arm.  The 'exam' put me at risk for hemorrhage, life threatening infections, and infertility.  They also lied about it happening on my medical records so pursuing  legal action against them was made even harder because of that. 

After hearing about this happening to several other women at this hospital I had a meeting with the vice president of the birthing suites.  She consulted with the head of obstetric's where she was told that this is standard of care at the hospital and it's to help prevent excess bleeding-though there was no excess bleeding in my case as my placenta hadn't even had a chance to separate yet.  There was no apology and no sympathy.  There was no  talking to anyone about it.  They truly felt like they were doing the right thing.  So it happens there A LOT. 

There really was no medical reason for this to be done.  My best guess is that it's done at this hospital to move patients out of the delivery rooms faster. 

I know you weren't looking for info on Moses but every time I see a women who is asking about delivery options in this area I feel the need to spread the word.  You may also find a thread of mine on mothering titled "birthing options near Scranton Pa " helpful.  If I remember right I wrote it a short time after my second delivery. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page