Mothering Forum banner

Vaccine exemption in PA?

3K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  6unvaxxed 
#1 ·
Hi everyone -- we are relocating from FL to PA this summer and need to figure out what we need to do in terms of vaccine exemptions for public school (we have one who will be starting 5th and another starting 7th). Here in FL, I had to go sit at the health department, watch a movie aimed at convincing me my children would die, and then get them to sign a special form which I have submitted in lieu of vaccine records.

What will need to do in PA? We'll be in the Great Valley School District (outside of Philly) if that matters -- though I suppose it shouldn't.

Thanks!!

#3 ·
When I registered dd for homeschooling with the district, I used the below template:

Medical Exemption Form To the Superintendent of the ___________________________School District:

I am the parent of _________________________________________________. I object to the following procedures for my child(ren) on religious grounds or on the basis of strong moral or ethical conviction similar to a religious belief: _______ immunizations _______ medical examinations _______ dental examinations.

Sincerely,

I turned that in along with her most recent checkup, and there was no issue.

#4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindful Mom View Post

Hi everyone -- we are relocating from FL to PA this summer and need to figure out what we need to do in terms of vaccine exemptions for public school (we have one who will be starting 5th and another starting 7th). Here in FL, I had to go sit at the health department, watch a movie aimed at convincing me my children would die, and then get them to sign a special form which I have submitted in lieu of vaccine records.

What will need to do in PA? We'll be in the Great Valley School District (outside of Philly) if that matters -- though I suppose it shouldn't.

Thanks!!
I hope strongly along with all your school paper work you register to vote ASAP ( and you can't do in when you do your driver's license - that tends not to really work so well!!) - PA had a big Governor's race coming up. Also you might want to find out where your local reps stand as we are the home state of Paul Offit and he wants to do away with your right to take a religious exemption. He would like to see you charged with child abuse for not vaccinating and is pushing for mandatory vaccines in PA and around the country too.

Senate Bill 20 is what you need to refer to if you contact your local Senator, as "some" don't want to be too forth coming and tell you what exactly is in that Senate bill, it's nice to think it's just all about "abuse" and "protecting children", sound much better. Since many Senators in PA are supporting it you many want to look into things to get a feel for what is going on in the state.

http://articles.philly.com/2013-05-10/news/39144680_1_child-abuse-neglect-first-century-gospel

PA is a funny state and not in the ha ha way! Some district do common core but largely the state is far from "common" - we DO NOT have real mandates, we have standards and what one district does another may not do - this can be hard if you move around be it education or homes school - each district essentially makes their own rules on TONS of issues! AND each district handles vaccine exemptions in their own sweet way - know the law, don't expect to be told by the administration the laws, know them so you learn what you are being told is the truth.

Just some FYI - EACH district also will handle how they treat your child (children) when it comes to an "outbreak"! The Dept of Health has "guidelines" but each district handles them differently. I do know personally about a mother on here and how much school her kids missed because of a chicken pox outbreak - be prepared, it can we weeks.

ALSO don't vac for even one thing and think you can slip it by - we do have a state registry as well and vaccines are reported and the district will know.

:w
to PA!

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindful Mom View Post

Thanks!!
Just an FYI for future readers:

In FL, it is not legal for them to make you watch a movie, read a brochure, or sign a waiver. You do not have to bring your child(ren) with you, you do not need to bring any medical records, and you do not need anything from your PCP.

In Florida, all you do is go to the HD (they may ask you to make an appt, that's ok) and ask for the DH-681. They can't make you wait, there is no cooling off period, and you should not have to come back later to pick up the form. Even the line for the child's SSN is optional.

OP, I'm sorry you had that experience! I hope it goes better for you in PA.

#6 ·
Just wondering how this would work for my situation. We live in Berks County, PA. My oldest ds has up to date vax, but from here on out will not be receiving any. My middle child was up to date, until recently when she needs her second dose of MMR and needs varicella, both of which I do not plan on getting for her to attend kindergarten. How should I go about this, since they are partially vaxed? I should have every right to decline whenever I deem necessary.

#7 ·
Either you DO all or you MUST take an exemption in PA.

Your Kindy one is not up to date, thus you must take an exemption, we only have 2 medical or religious

Your older one (you don't say how old) is up to date as of now, you turn in what you have. If the child is say entering 7th and needs X vaccine for that grade and you don't do it, at that point you turn in their exemption. You are find not doing them deepening on the grade and if they have met what is needed up to that point. The area where you need the exemption is when the next set of requirements come into play.

We are an all or nothing state. Partial is the same as unvaccinated thus you take an exemption or become "up to date".

It's sort of clear - there are requirements for K, X number needed, if you don't do it to the letter of the law, you either do them or take the exemption.

If you homeschool you also must do the same.

Hope that helps.

Here is the grades listings - http://www.portal.state.pa.us/porta...ns/14141/school_children_immunizations/557995

#10 ·
This was something that was far easier than I anticipated (for us at least). We started out homeschooling (for 3 yrs) and I simply wrote a short and sweet letter when registering. Once we switched to public school I was expecting a hard time but I just filled out a little post card from the school nurse and to date haven't had any issues. I have one in 4th & one in K.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.