Looking for a midwife for a home water birth near Aston PA - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-30-2014, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,
I just happened across this site during my online search for a midwife in our area that will do a home water birth...I have been unsuccessful on my own and figured it couldn't hurt to ask if anybody knows of anyone close to us? We live in Aston PA. I would prefer a midwife that would come to us for prenatal visits, but if they are really close to us, I would be ok with going to an office for prenatals as long as I could still have my home water birth. We are not currently pregnant but we ARE planning our second child and my last thing to find is a midwife before I can be comfortable with going ahead and trying to get pregnant again, I do not want to be stressed out during pregnancy trying to find someone we can work with. Can anyone help me with this? I tried going rough our insurance company to find a midwife but they didn't seem very supportive or cooperative, and the list of "midwives" they sent me was not what I asked for...none on the list do home births. I've come to terms with the fact that we will probably need to pay out of pocket for this, and we are ok with that, but so far I have only received a response from one midwife who is over an hour from us and we would have to travel to her for all prenatal visits, plus her cost was near $5k on top of the constant traveling and still needing to buy things for the birth. Thanks for any help anyone can provide!
Adriane
#2 of 5 Old 04-01-2014, 09:32 AM

I had a home birth with my 2nd son, we live in Media, PA.  I used Karen Webster http://womanwise.info/ for a midwife.  She was absolutely wonderful!  She commonly does water births too.  I opted not to, but I peacefully birthed in my bedroom.   She's out of Elkton, MD, not too far away for visits if you need to go there.  We had to pay out of pocket, though she did arrange with the insurance (BCBS) to have her be out of network...so we got reimbursed 80% of her fee.  I think this took her hours on the phone, and is not common, and I'm not sure how it all worked out, but we did pay up front (had borrowed from a family member to do so).  

i also recommend Kym for a doula if you're looking.  She's in the area too, currently out of Havertown.  http://www.berrihealthy.net/  She's a fabulous massage therapist, and if I had another baby I'd have her for a doula.

#3 of 5 Old 04-01-2014, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

It's funny, I JUST came across Karen's website last night by accident and sent her a message! How far was Karen from you in Media? You're really close to me, about 5-10 minutes down the street. Would help with figuring out travel times! How much was Karen's fee? I expect to have to fight the insurance company to get them cover at least a portion of the service, we have Keystone Health Plan East. But if Karen took care of that too, that would be amazing! I wondered how "necessary" having a doula would be, what exactly did Kym do for you? I've never looked much into doulas. My first child was a hospital pregnancy (I didn't know anything about home births, midwives, or even Birth Centers at the time) and the hospital experience was horrible. Just plain horrible. I'll never go back to Crozer for delivery.
#4 of 5 Old 07-07-2014, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Karen is great. I am a doula in the area so wanted to chime in. You might not have as much luck with getting even OON coverage with Keystone but its always worth a try.

Also I wanted to point out that you might consider the Wilmington Birth Center, too. The midwives are fantastic there, and it's a small lovely little birth center. Just not sure if they'd accept PA state insurance there or not either. ?

Best!

Already!?!?! cold.gif  ~ Lori, doula, childbirth educator, wife to Jermaine 6/04, and mom to two happy and energetic boys - Tatum 6/06 and Keegan 3/09

#5 of 5 Old 07-07-2014, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2tatum View Post
Karen is great. I am a doula in the area so wanted to chime in. You might not have as much luck with getting even OON coverage with Keystone but its always worth a try.

Also I wanted to point out that you might consider the Wilmington Birth Center, too. The midwives are fantastic there, and it's a small lovely little birth center. Just not sure if they'd accept PA state insurance there or not either. ?

Best!
Thanks, mom2tatum! I had actually originally settled on The Birth Center in Wilmington...but after just 1 visit, I was left with a bad taste in my mouth. First off, the area it is in is HORRIBLE. There is no designated parking for clients, so you either have to hope for a spot on the street in front of the office (which is near impossible as it is also a residential street), or you have to park a block and a half away in a parking garage...which I was then advised to "be careful" parking there and walking during my night appts because they'd had people robbed before. They preach all this control over your birth and pregnancy, and yet I've NEVER been more out of control at a prenatal visit than I was at my first visit there. There was testing that I had refused with a regular OB with my first pregnancy, and never had an issue with them over it, that TBC would not let me refuse with this pregnancy..I didn't want any internal checks (for personal reasons), nor did I need a Pap smear but they required that I lay on the table and spread my legs for both. I should have honestly just up and left at that point but I thought it was my only option. I cancelled my next appt not even a week later, and have decided to go with Kathy Hindle at Midwifery Traditions. We've had 1 appt so far with her, and have 1 tomorrow now, and so far we LOVE her. We felt so much safer and in control there, she actually takes your feelings into consideration, and she was completely fine with my refusing certain tests, all she asked was that I listen to the pros and cons for the tests I was refusing, before I refuse them. The only reason I am describing my experience in detail with TBC is because I have yet to find ANYTHING about anyone's experience there, other than the glowing reviews on their own website (which they do not tell you about the area or no parking issue, nor do they tell you you lose your right to refuse tests), and I wish I would've known these things before wasting my time there.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page