Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania (http://www.mothering.com/forum/82-new-york-new-jersey-pennsylvania/)
-   -   Crunchy towns in NY? (http://www.mothering.com/forum/82-new-york-new-jersey-pennsylvania/1436833-crunchy-towns-ny.html)

Bellazen 07-28-2014 04:49 PM

Crunchy towns in NY?

We are looking to relocate to NY from FL and are interested in hearing what towns you all would recommend.

We want to live someplace where the majority of people are like minded. Earth conscious, liberal, AP friendly. Access to holistic health practitioners, organic farms, farmers markets, CSAs. We want to live among people who value family, arts and experience over materialistic goals. We would be starting over so we are looking for a welcoming place where it is easy to make friends. We have 2 very young children (infant + toddler) so access to alternative schooling that is affordable would need to be considered as well.

We are very much in the minority where we are now and would like to change that.

Ideally it would be within 2 hours of NYC and Fairfield County CT since that is where our families are located.

New Paltz has been mentioned by friends. We would like feedback about that area and any other suggestions that fit our description as well. Thanks so much!

vmonterrey 07-31-2014 03:12 AM

Ithaca,NY

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bellazen (Post 17867009)
We are looking to relocate to NY from FL and are interested in hearing what towns you all would recommend.

We want to live someplace where the majority of people are like minded. Earth conscious, liberal, AP friendly. Access to holistic health practitioners, organic farms, farmers markets, CSAs. We want to live among people who value family, arts and experience over materialistic goals. We would be starting over so we are looking for a welcoming place where it is easy to make friends. We have 2 very young children (infant + toddler) so access to alternative schooling that is affordable would need to be considered as well.

We are very much in the minority where we are now and would like to change that.

Ideally it would be within 2 hours of NYC and Fairfield County CT since that is where our families are located.

New Paltz has been mentioned by friends. We would like feedback about that area and any other suggestions that fit our description as well. Thanks so much!

NewBrooklynMama 07-31-2014 03:38 AM

Quote:

Hi, I would second New Paltz. But the truth is a lot of towns upstate fit your description (there is Woodstock, Saugerties, Red Hook, Millerton, Beacon...). And don't rule out NYC altogether! Unless you are hoping to live in a more rural area, of course. But there are plenty of people who fit the description of who you are hoping to meet/live amongst.

serenbat 08-03-2014 03:50 PM

This magazine is great to find out the things you are looking for - http://www.ediblecommunities.com/content/

http://www.ediblecommunities.com/con...-publications/ you can look by region at what is there, NY has tons of nice areas-IMO

Chelsea6905 08-25-2014 01:57 PM

Quote:

We just moved from FL to NY last year! Relocated from just north of Tampa :) I live in Rensselaer, which is near Albany NY and where I am, it's not bad at all, of course, anywhere you go, there's bad places not too far away. My dad lives in Waterford, which is about 15 minutesnorth of me and it's a very saef town, and they have this great farmer's market on the weekends that I love! I have not met any crunchy moms here yet though... I don't really know where to look to be honest which is why I joined this website today. Good luck to you!:grin:

PitBullMom 09-22-2014 12:43 PM

Ithaca is about as crunchy as you can get. There are some small crunchy towns in the Saratoga Springs area as well.

Saugerties and Woodstock have been mentioned and those are good options as well.

There are some majorly crunchy towns out past Buffalo, but then you are 7 or 8 hours from NYC