Crunchy towns in NY? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-28-2014, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Crunchy towns in NY?

We are looking to relocate to NY from FL and are interested in hearing what towns you all would recommend.

We want to live someplace where the majority of people are like minded. Earth conscious, liberal, AP friendly. Access to holistic health practitioners, organic farms, farmers markets, CSAs. We want to live among people who value family, arts and experience over materialistic goals. We would be starting over so we are looking for a welcoming place where it is easy to make friends. We have 2 very young children (infant + toddler) so access to alternative schooling that is affordable would need to be considered as well.

We are very much in the minority where we are now and would like to change that.

Ideally it would be within 2 hours of NYC and Fairfield County CT since that is where our families are located.

New Paltz has been mentioned by friends. We would like feedback about that area and any other suggestions that fit our description as well. Thanks so much!
#2 of 6 Old 07-31-2014, 02:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ithaca,NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellazen View Post
We are looking to relocate to NY from FL and are interested in hearing what towns you all would recommend.

We want to live someplace where the majority of people are like minded. Earth conscious, liberal, AP friendly. Access to holistic health practitioners, organic farms, farmers markets, CSAs. We want to live among people who value family, arts and experience over materialistic goals. We would be starting over so we are looking for a welcoming place where it is easy to make friends. We have 2 very young children (infant + toddler) so access to alternative schooling that is affordable would need to be considered as well.

We are very much in the minority where we are now and would like to change that.

Ideally it would be within 2 hours of NYC and Fairfield County CT since that is where our families are located.

New Paltz has been mentioned by friends. We would like feedback about that area and any other suggestions that fit our description as well. Thanks so much!
#3 of 6 Old 07-31-2014, 02:38 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Hi, I would second New Paltz. But the truth is a lot of towns upstate fit your description (there is Woodstock, Saugerties, Red Hook, Millerton, Beacon...). And don't rule out NYC altogether! Unless you are hoping to live in a more rural area, of course. But there are plenty of people who fit the description of who you are hoping to meet/live amongst.
#4 of 6 Old 08-03-2014, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
This magazine is great to find out the things you are looking for - http://www.ediblecommunities.com/content/

http://www.ediblecommunities.com/con...-publications/ you can look by region at what is there, NY has tons of nice areas-IMO

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#5 of 6 Old 08-25-2014, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

We just moved from FL to NY last year! Relocated from just north of Tampa I live in Rensselaer, which is near Albany NY and where I am, it's not bad at all, of course, anywhere you go, there's bad places not too far away. My dad lives in Waterford, which is about 15 minutesnorth of me and it's a very saef town, and they have this great farmer's market on the weekends that I love! I have not met any crunchy moms here yet though... I don't really know where to look to be honest which is why I joined this website today. Good luck to you!
#6 of 6 Old 09-22-2014, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Ithaca is about as crunchy as you can get. There are some small crunchy towns in the Saratoga Springs area as well.

Saugerties and Woodstock have been mentioned and those are good options as well.

There are some majorly crunchy towns out past Buffalo, but then you are 7 or 8 hours from NYC

-----------------------------------------------
Michelle

Affiliate photographer Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep - Infant bereavement photography

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page