Looking for Mom's outside Pittsburgh- I'm in Cranberry - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 92 Old 06-25-2008, 03:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstkid4me View Post
I'm ok with not making a ton of friends, I just don't know if I can sit through another meet up where most of the members are talking about how great scheduled csections are and I have to sit and bite my tongue.
: I had a scheduled cs and loved it..

ANYWAY, I, too, live in Crafton Heights and am actually a neighbor & really good friend of Locksmama. Im def. looking to get out more and meet more moms/have more stuff to do during the day. I checked out the Urban Mommies website, but you have to pay for all of their outings If any of you West End mamas are still interested in getting together for an adult playdate, Im all for it.

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

#62 of 92 Old 06-26-2008, 07:25 PM

Repeating my invitation to our crunchy north hills playgroup! PM me if you want info.

#63 of 92 Old 07-15-2008, 05:02 PM

I was off having a baby when this thread was busy so I'm only seeing it now.

I live in Ross in the North Hills (near McKnight) and I also belong to MoMo. I am definitely interested in this crunchy NH playgroup though I WOTH FT.

Is anyone going to the Pgh Mothers' Center picnic this weekend???
#64 of 92 Old 08-29-2008, 10:30 PM

I took over the Punk Rock Parenting group on meetup.com, so if y'all want to join, check it out
#65 of 92 Old 08-29-2008, 11:25 PM

Hi Rebecca, thanks for the update. I joined that group some time ago but I am just too shy, I guess, to hit any of the meetups. I have to get myself in some kind of social fast forward and finally make contact. Seems like a great group!
#66 of 92 Old 09-02-2008, 08:42 PM

Hey Jolene-
Its been awhile, but I wanted you to know that a lot of the moms who go to the playgroup I mentioned are members of the Pgh Mothers Center and PghMamas Yahoo group.

Everyone is welcome!

#67 of 92 Old 09-16-2008, 10:58 AM

Thanks, Orchid!

There's a little AP spinoff on meetup also. It kind of needs an infusion of activity so if anyone's interested...
http://attachmentparenting.meetup.com/477
#68 of 92 Old 09-25-2008, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Orchid View Post
Hey Jolene-
Its been awhile, but I wanted you to know that a lot of the moms who go to the playgroup I mentioned are members of the Pgh Mothers Center and PghMamas Yahoo group.

Everyone is welcome!
I'm part of the yahoo group too
#69 of 92 Old 10-13-2008, 02:48 PM

Hi All,
same situation as original poster, Although i have 2 daughters 2yo and 4 yo and moved to the mars/cranberry area from Fredonia NY. This thread has been a great read for me. i just wanted to let you all know i am here and trying to find like minded people. A McGinnis sisters grocery type store recently opened by me- I guess it is suppose to be a lot of local foods- anyone been there?
#70 of 92 Old 10-13-2008, 06:18 PM

Hey Maui-

I have two girls 2 & 4, too! We should soooooo get together! Are you at home during the day? We have a playgroup that meets in Franklin Park (about 15 minutes from Mars) on Tuesdays. I won't be there tomorrow, but I will be there next week. Let me know if you are interested.

Rebecca-

Hey that's cool! Have you ever come to playgroup?

#71 of 92 Old 10-13-2008, 10:58 PM

Hi Orchid,
Wow- so cool about the girls/ages. Yes, I am home during the day. We should get together!
I am interested in the play group as well.
#72 of 92 Old 10-17-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maui513 View Post
Hi All,
same situation as original poster, Although i have 2 daughters 2yo and 4 yo and moved to the mars/cranberry area from Fredonia NY. This thread has been a great read for me. i just wanted to let you all know i am here and trying to find like minded people. A McGinnis sisters grocery type store recently opened by me- I guess it is suppose to be a lot of local foods- anyone been there?
Yeah. It's really nice and completely competitive with GE, if not a little cheaper for some stuff. The prices are not nearly as high as I thought they might be. The produce is really fresh and the meat/deli counter has some good looking stuff. You should go. I didn't even go to shop I just went to look around and will be going back. Now as for that Cribs to Teens store right by it, it's totally expensive. I was disappointed in that. It had some gorgeous furniture. I just can't afford it.
#73 of 92 Old 10-17-2008, 01:15 PM

I'm in the north Hills. have you ever thought of getting raw milk? The East End Coop in Point Breeze on Penn Ave stocks it from a local farm.

They also have some organic stuff, nicely priced. They have a lot of bulk foods/grains/pastas/sugars that are a lot less than Whole Foods. They also have monthly sales, and there is a flyer on their website.

http://eastendfood.coop/

ETA: I love extra sharp cheddar You should try Tillamook though you can't get it here. It's white, kinda flaky and awesome

Also, there are two CSAs on Route 8 in gibsonia, which would be about 20 min or less from you by taking 228 east to Route 8. It's a little late now tough, but maybe for next year.

http://www.dillnerfamilyfarm.com
http://www.harvestvalleyfarms.com/

These may have been mentioned...I haven't read all the posts.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#74 of 92 Old 10-17-2008, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookAMH View Post
I'm in the north Hills. have you ever thought of getting raw milk? The East End Coop in Point Breeze on Penn Ave stocks it from a local farm.

They also have some organic stuff, nicely priced. They have a lot of bulk foods/grains/pastas/sugars that are a lot less than Whole Foods. They also have monthly sales, and there is a flyer on their website.

http://eastendfood.coop/

ETA: I love extra sharp cheddar You should try Tillamook though you can't get it here. It's white, kinda flaky and awesome
Hey you live near me? I had no idea.
#75 of 92 Old 10-17-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukedwifey View Post
Yeah. It's really nice and completely competitive with GE, if not a little cheaper for some stuff. The prices are not nearly as high as I thought they might be. The produce is really fresh and the meat/deli counter has some good looking stuff. You should go. I didn't even go to shop I just went to look around and will be going back. Now as for that Cribs to Teens store right by it, it's totally expensive. I was disappointed in that. It had some gorgeous furniture. I just can't afford it.
I was disappointed they didn't have any grass fed beef when I stopped in. The website says it's occasionally available.

Anyone else buy grass fed beef around here? There is a place about an hour and a half away in OH that would be worthwhile making an annual or semi-annual trip to stock up, but we are in an apt and don't have much freezer space.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#76 of 92 Old 10-17-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukedwifey View Post
Hey you live near me? I had no idea.
Me either! I am not far from Peebles Road.

#77 of 92 Old 10-17-2008, 03:04 PM

nukedwifey,
Thank you for the info on Mcginnis sisters-I'll check it out!
I was wondering what Cribs to Teens even sold. Too bad it is expensive furniture.

CookAMH,
Yes, we only drink raw milk-my husband has been driving to the East End coop for milk. I see that there is a farm in new castle
http://www.deanfarms.com/faq.htm i was thinking of trying them-i am not one to drive in the city. Have you heard of them? Do you get raw milk regularly? maybe we could take turns picking it up?
We use to only purchase grass fed beef from a local farm(chicken,eggs,and pork)i really miss that. I still have the space just need to find somewhere to purchase from. I would gladly split whatever with you though.
Thank you for the CSA names.
#78 of 92 Old 10-18-2008, 03:21 PM

We just finished our first year with Dillner... they are GREAT! They are not organic though There is only one organic CSA in the north and they are very expensive from what I've hear. Dillner uses the minimum necessary, but they do use pesticides, etc.

#79 of 92 Old 10-19-2008, 11:52 PM

Quote:
I was disappointed they didn't have any grass fed beef when I stopped in. The website says it's occasionally available.

Anyone else buy grass fed beef around here? There is a place about an hour and a half away in OH that would be worthwhile making an annual or semi-annual trip to stock up, but we are in an apt and don't have much freezer space.
If you're talking about the Millers up in Kinsmen, it is well worth it! That is where we get our beef and we love it!

Also, Soergel's at the Wexford exit on 79 has Ron Gargazs beef. You might be interested in trying that.

Also, we have been getting real milk from the Deans for a year and a half now and are quite happy with that as well. I usually go there once a week, but not on particular days (I drive past whenever I go visit my family).

Amy, wife of Ben and mommy of Paul (4/9/07), (7/09) and Charlie (5/13/10)
#80 of 92 Old 10-20-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:

Oh, I didn't even notice since I buy half a cow from my neighbor's farm. But that would be hard to do, although I think they also sell it in quarters too, since you don't have much freezer space. I'll try to keep my eye out for when they do have it though.
#81 of 92 Old 10-20-2008, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Me either! I am not far from Peebles Road.
Oh, OK, I live near Zellienople although not in it.
#82 of 92 Old 10-20-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
nukedwifey,
Thank you for the info on Mcginnis sisters-I'll check it out!
I was wondering what Cribs to Teens even sold. Too bad it is expensive furniture.

CookAMH,
Yes, we only drink raw milk-my husband has been driving to the East End coop for milk. I see that there is a farm in new castle
http://www.deanfarms.com/faq.htm i was thinking of trying them-i am not one to drive in the city. Have you heard of them? Do you get raw milk regularly? maybe we could take turns picking it up?
We use to only purchase grass fed beef from a local farm(chicken,eggs,and pork)i really miss that. I still have the space just need to find somewhere to purchase from. I would gladly split whatever with you though.
Thank you for the CSA names.
I'll let you know - what we do now works pretty well for the milk. We get it when DH is down that way for class, which is all year throughout the week except summer. I'm jealous that you get meat and stuff from a local farm!

#83 of 92 Old 10-23-2008, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty5_3000 View Post
If you're talking about the Millers up in Kinsmen, it is well worth it! That is where we get our beef and we love it!

Also, Soergel's at the Wexford exit on 79 has Ron Gargazs beef. You might be interested in trying that.

Also, we have been getting real milk from the Deans for a year and a half now and are quite happy with that as well. I usually go there once a week, but not on particular days (I drive past whenever I go visit my family).
Oooh... i will go to soergel's and pick up some Ron Gargazs beef. I googled his name and see that his farm is off the slippery rock exit on 79. My mom lives in zelienople so i am figuring it is 30min drive to Dean's from there? It seems there is not any place closer for real milk in this area. East end co-op is a good 45 min from us and my husband works about 45 min down 28 from east end coop. I am thinking of switching to coconut milk for the winter.Anyone know of a BPA free can brand or of coconut milk in glass?
I went to Mcginnis sister's and got some ground beef to make jerky-not grassfed-but yummy. I found heavy cream in there pasteurized but no additives. That will be great whipped on pumpkin pie! It is a neat store.
#84 of 92 Old 10-23-2008, 11:00 AM

I really doubt it would take that long to get to the Dean's from Zelienople. Maybe even only 10 15 minutes from there. They are not to far from where you get off 79 onto 422. Its pretty close to that Animal place (I can't think of the name of it), oh Living Treasures. It only take me like 35 minutes to get home, and I'm a lot further down than Zelienople.

#85 of 92 Old 10-23-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Oooh... i will go to soergel's and pick up some Ron Gargazs beef. I googled his name and see that his farm is off the slippery rock exit on 79.
I googled his name but didn't find anything. Can you post a link? Is it grass-fed beef?

Quote:
I am thinking of switching to coconut milk for the winter.Anyone know of a BPA free can brand or of coconut milk in glass?
You could buy powdered coconut milk from this place. I've been meaning to do an order for a while (love that place) but have yet to do so. They have some great items listed and a lot of great information too.

Quote:
I went to Mcginnis sister's and got some ground beef to make jerky-not grassfed-but yummy. I found heavy cream in there pasteurized but no additives. That will be great whipped on pumpkin pie! It is a neat store.
So you think the grain-fed beef is at least better tasting and possibly healthier than grocery store beef? Is it more natural (ie no hormones) though not grass fed?

#86 of 92 Old 10-23-2008, 03:48 PM

Liberty- Thank you for the time estimate- that is really worth it! I'll try to contact them/ go to that farm this weekend.
Hi CookAMH,
This is the link that came up about ron- http://www.slowfoodpgh.com/archive_2006_green1.html it is an old article but mentions his farm under the green eats vendor section. Hope that works- i am a little slow with computer stuff It is grass fed and organic since 1986 i believe i read that in a different article.
I love that site too- i was looking at it a while back searching for mayo and forgot about them until now! Thank you. I think i'll try it because i see the mayo is in stock too.
Yes, i think Mcginnis sister's beef is nutritionally better than regular grain fed because they claim it is antibiotic,preservative,hormone free, and it tasted fresh to me. It may be comparable to GE's natures market? kind but i think it is better priced. I bought 5#'s for $2.59 a #.
#87 of 92 Old 10-23-2008, 11:15 PM

Quote:
So you think the grain-fed beef is at least better tasting and possibly healthier than grocery store beef? Is it more natural (ie no hormones) though not grass fed?
The taste is significantly different between the ******'s (and I'd assume Gargazs' meat would be similar, I don't know anything about the McGinnis sisters store, where's it at?, or has that already been said on here?) beef and anything from the grocery store, even the Giant Eagle Nature's Basket stuff. It actually has taste. It cooks so much nicer also. I don't think there is as significant a difference between the Giant Eagle Nature's Basket stuff and the regular Giant Eagle beef. It sure costs a whole lot less for me to get the quarter of a cow than it would to buy meat at Giant Eagle.

#88 of 92 Old 10-24-2008, 10:23 AM

i also think the taste between grass and grain fed is significant,grass fed cooks much nicer,and has taste-so true. My husband loves his grassfed steak! My mom,uncle, grandma and other family members claim they don't really notice a difference in beef.the pastured pork/ham they always request though. My main concern is hormone/antibiotic/preservative free until i can pick up a grassfed quarter and get my freezer re-stocked since our move.
should we start an eating local/ grassfed thread?
Oh and i placed a wilderness family order for the coconut milk powder and some other things- should be here monday.
here is some info about mcginnis sister 's. http://www.mcginnis-sisters.com/ i think the adams twshp store opened around the same time i moved to the area-aug/sept.
#89 of 92 Old 10-24-2008, 01:14 PM

Cool! I just called Soergel's to see how often they have Ron's beef in stock, and he said fairly regularly. T-bones are $17.99/lb and ground round is $7.99/lb. What do you think of that? I know buying in bulk from a farm once a year results in a MUCH lower per pound price, but we just don't have the room for it.

#90 of 92 Old 10-27-2008, 11:30 AM

Ughh.... yeah that price does seem to be what it is selling for. I was at Mcginnis sister's over the weekend and they had some grass fed cuts-wasn't from a local place but the prices were very comparable- with in a dollar i'd say.
I buy grass fed butter and raw milk cheese online-maybe a bulk or sample pack of beef from them would be a better price?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page