Any mommies in Montgomery County, PA? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-26-2008, 11:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrsyGirl View Post
A new chapter of the Holistic Moms Network is getting started in Montgomery County, PA! If you'd like to get involved, visit the Holistic Moms Network for more information! - Nancy
I looked at the HMN website & didn't see any info about the group you mentioned. IS there talk of where you will have your mtgs?

I'm in Montco too & am always looking for others to hang out w/. I don't know what your plans are for when your children hit school-age, but I have been setting up some homeschooling activities. PM me if you'd like more info or want to get together.

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2008, 02:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama24-7 View Post

I'm in Montco too & am always looking for others to hang out w/. I don't know what your plans are for when your children hit school-age, but I have been setting up some homeschooling activities. PM me if you'd like more info or want to get together.

Sus
Hey there mamas! I am in Upper Dublin... I am actually very very interested in getting together with others who are currently or are planning to homeschool/unschool/free school. I have a lot of anxiety as of late - my oldest is four and this would, technically, be his last year with me before entering kindergarten... I just don't think I can do it - I don't buy into the conformity of the public school system. But I am also stressed out with all of his buddies already starting "preschool" and now, I am feeling like he will bounce of the walls without peergroups during parts of the day or week.
I also have a 2 year old daughter and, 10 weeks ago, had an amazing unassisted waterbirth of my third baby, Avi.
So, I am looking for a group of like-minded mamas with some funky free thinking babes to put together a homeschooling co-op for our hipped out cool leaders.

Please contact me if you are interested!

love,
andy
Old 08-27-2008, 12:12 PM

Hi mamas! I just moved from Philly to Upper Dublin.

Andy - UHHHHH, yeah, I'm that next door neighbor of yours who moved in YESTERDAY! Crazy! Thought I might run into you on here at some point though! :
Old 08-28-2008, 01:48 AM

you are too funny!! saw your post about midwifery traditions - kathy hindle is very well respected... but I was under the impression that she was CPM??? Maybe I'm wrong. A very good friend of mine just took the final test for becoming a CPM under Hindle's practice...
I would love to hear about your consult.
You might want to consult with ValleyBirth and Doylestown Midwifery as well... maybe to compare??
I thought Doylestown was a nice suburban hospital ... and they have a jacuzzi used to labor - not birth. Chestnut Hill might have some neat equipment as well being that there are so many midwives there.

Anyone have any pros and cons with Doylestown vs. Chestnut Hill??

Hope we can talk more later when you guys are settled in!!
Old 08-28-2008, 11:12 AM

Thanks for the info Andrea, I know you'll be a big help! We'll definitely talk after this weekend when all of the craziness has died down. I did have a phone consult with VBP already with a pregnancy that I lost prior to this one, so I at least have that one done, but not completely sold.

I found Midwifery Traditions by searching on my health insurance's website and it did list her and also her partner as CNM's.

My three biggest goals I needed to look into after moving were finding a midwife, a doula and starting my hypnobabies course, so I have a lot of work ahead of me! Oh yeah, and also a good place to rent a pump, but I'm sure I'll attend some LLL meetings before the baby comes. Thanks for the info!
Old 08-28-2008, 11:48 PM

Hey guys, I'm in Blue Bell.
Would love if the Holistic Moms chapter got started up again in our area. I bet there's enough of us from MDC to get it started.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:51 PM

I work up in North Wales and we live in Perkasie We have a ds who is 4.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:54 PM

Kathy Hindle is a CNM. Her partner caught my baby at CHH. However, it seems as if CHH is closing its labor floor, so you might want to look into what MT is doing!
Old 09-03-2008, 06:58 PM

Wow, this thread got bumped after about four years! When I posted back in 2004 I was in NW Philly, but now we're in Lansdale.

We have one child who is almost 9, and we homeschool.

<waving to Susanne!>

Tara
Old 09-05-2008, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarasam View Post
Wow, this thread got bumped after about four years!

I'm in SE Delco County but I get up to Montgomery Co for EMI homeschool parkdays with my 7 yo.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
Old 09-06-2008, 12:49 AM

I've never seen a thread with so many people I have met in real life.

But where are the MontCo crunchy moms of adolescents? You all are making me feel old here in Wyncote (between Jenkintown and Glenside) with age 8, 11, and 14 year old boys.

J.D. and mother to three. Sustainable Mothering and check out my Writing and Speaking
Follow me on Facebook and Twitter.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I've seen kids that age at parkdays, lately...

But your weren't there so they left.

(j/k about the leaving part)

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
Old 09-08-2008, 04:58 PM

*waving to jake*
Old 09-08-2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajake View Post
I've never seen a thread with so many people I have met in real life.

But where are the MontCo crunchy moms of adolescents? You all are making me feel old here in Wyncote (between Jenkintown and Glenside) with age 8, 11, and 14 year old boys.

Wait...is that THE Jake? I was wondering if you were still around.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:25 PM

C'est moi.

J.D. and mother to three. Sustainable Mothering and check out my Writing and Speaking
Follow me on Facebook and Twitter.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:16 PM

I grew up in Montgomery County...will be there tomorrow to go to a doctor in Quakertown. Dh and I both graduated from Souderton high school...both of us grew up in Telford. We go in a lot on the weekends to visit family in Telford and Souderton. We're in Lancaster now.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:04 AM

I'm in Montco! In the Lansdale area. I go to LLL meetings but they're only once a month. I just have one little dude who is 2. Would love it if there was a Holistic moms group around here. I know there is one in Doylestown...I think it's the closest one. However, the meetings are held at a Planned Parenthood and I don't think I'm comfortable with that.

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

Old 09-09-2008, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evermom View Post

I'm in SE Delco County but I get up to Montgomery Co for EMI homeschool parkdays with my 7 yo.

hey there! what is EMI homeschool??? I am basically looking for the socialization aspect to the home/unschooling alternative...
Would love to know a group of mamas who are choosing this option and would like to start up a co-op for this region.... jenkintown, glenside, wyncote, chestnut hill... figured these are all areas where funky families reside!!
Old 09-10-2008, 12:14 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMike View Post
I'm in Montco! In the Lansdale area. I go to LLL meetings but they're only once a month. I just have one little dude who is 2. Would love it if there was a Holistic moms group around here. I know there is one in Doylestown...I think it's the closest one. However, the meetings are held at a Planned Parenthood and I don't think I'm comfortable with that.
Actually, the CBHMN DAY mtgs are held at PP. The night ones (5:30-7:30PM) are held at the Doylestown Public Library. You can see more details here.

My LLL group's meeting is this coming Thursday in New Britain - we'd love to have you! We also have informal weekly playgroups. They haven't been well attended over the summer, but things may pick up now. PM me for more info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
hey there! what is EMI homeschool??? I am basically looking for the socialization aspect to the home/unschooling alternative...
Would love to know a group of mamas who are choosing this option and would like to start up a co-op for this region.... jenkintown, glenside, wyncote, chestnut hill... figured these are all areas where funky families reside!!
For more about the Eastern Montgomery County Inclusive Homeschoolers go here. I found them & other HS'ing groups on this website here.

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:38 AM

We live in Abington, we have two boys 5yo and 2yo and we homeschool on the unschool end of the spectrum.

Andy - I'm just getting involved with the EMI group, and a Jenkintown mom is starting up a playgroup for this area. You could go to the link that Sus gave you on the previous post to find out about it. We'd love to get together with you, either through that or on our own. We're looking for homeschooling friends.

Meryl
Old 01-23-2009, 12:00 AM

User Tag List