Long Island Mamas??!! - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-17-2005, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks, Ruth. Just what I needed to hear. True 'nuff about the hour's drive during labor.

Anyone else have btdt experiences with either of these midwives?

At least when I go to my appointments in Huntington I can do some househunting nearby too.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2005, 05:05 PM

i dont have experience with dale or marge, but jeanette attended my homebirth and she was great. my ped told me numc isnt that great with the midwives there, and ive heard a few times that people who chose to birth there specifically for the waterbirth but the staff said it was unavailable for whatever reason. but personally, i would go for the closer hospital. kirei had her baby there with dale cook, so im sure she would be good to ask.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Dale was a great midwife, although she was my ONLY midwife..... so I have no one to compare her with. If you move to East Northport, you'll be VERY close to her.... shes in Greenlawn.

Dale was my midwife, and I chose NUMC specifically for the water birth area. That hospital was 45 minutes away from me, but I did not care, if it meant I could have a water birth. I had an u/s a few days before I was due, which showed very low fluid. Dale said that if I did not go into labour on my own, I would need to be incuded at the hospital, and she really wanted to avoid that. That would mean a MEDICAL induction (:vomit and NO water birth. I used castor oil that night (at Dale's advice), and it put me into labour starting around 11pm. I did this to avoid being incuded, of course, but also because I wanted the water birth!! When I got to the hospital I was 3cm, and they sent me out to walk the halls because I couldn't use the tub until 5cm. They made me stay out there for, like... an hour and a half, and when I got back I was 9cm!!! I also heard things about the water birth room not being "available" because there wasn't enough staff. How does that make sense??? I only needed Dale in there anyway! : Anyway, I had my baby naturally, with no problems.... but no water birth.

The water birth area was the ONLY reason I used that hospital. Otherwise, its not the greatest. I mean, its OKAY..... Dale's other hospital is Huntington, and I don't know anything about that one. Maybe its nicer, or maybe it isn't. NUMC was mediocre, I guess.

I will still say that it was worth TRYING to get my water birth, because it was very important to me. And Dale, going to NUMC.... thats how I was going to do it. I really didn't have another option if I wanted to use the water, you know? I was very happy with Dale..

I'm totally rambling now, sorry!!! If you have any question about anything about Dale or NUMC, please let me know!!

p.s. If you use Dale, I might see you around her office sometimes.... she has a room inside of a chiropractor's office, and I go to that chiropractor now.
Old 06-18-2005, 01:43 PM

I think the biggest problem with going to the hospitals (in any situation) is that you have to advocate for yourself *very* strongly. I had some advance warning from one of my friends about this & found it helpful to be prepared for this...I had a sign for the plastic bassinet thing that said 'Breastfed Only' This didn't stop them from bringing her back to my room with formula but it was up to me to refuse & tell them no. I had an LDRP (labor, delivery, recovery, postpartum) room & Hannah was with me the whole time (except for about 2 hours total) even though the nurses encouraged me to put her back in the nursery. Eysler also delivers at Winthrop which doesn't have LDRP rooms, has very strict visiting hours & are bit more regimented than Plainview (the only 2 hospitals I know about). Plainview also has only 1 LC on staff & while she is wonderful (I'm now friends with her) she had the weekend off when I delivered Hannah so I never saw her & most of the other nurses were not that helpful. Thankfully Hannah latched on like a pro & I had the support & assistance of one of my friends.

I had written out a birth plan with things I absolutely wanted, things I could give in on depending on the situation, and things I didn't really care about. It wasn't perfect & there are a lot of things I would do differently if I had another hospital birth, but it was helpful to have things thought out beforehand instead of decisions made at the last minute.

All told though, if I have another child it will almost defintely be a home birth.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:46 PM

Nicole,
I totally agree with Gwen, it's a very good idea to have a birth paln if you going to deliver in a hospital. But i'm sure that Dale wil be a great guide during your pregnancy and labor, we loved her .
And now about the playdate... ....Who wants to come over this week? Should we do it on tuesday or wed?We are open to any day.Morgan -did i pm you phone #? Kirei- hope you can make it this week.
aneta

mama to Amelie '02, Maya' 04, Oliver'07 and Gavin'09
Old 06-20-2005, 02:43 PM

Well, I have appointments with both of them today. I figure I'll meet them and see which clicks better. Kirei, I'll be at Dale's office at 2:30 on Wed. if you're going to be around!

In the meantime I'm falling apart. Have developed varicose veins all of a sudden, am having terrible reflux, and am totally stressed about selling our house and finding another one. We have narrowed down our search mainly to Huntington, so that's our target at the moment. There seems to be a wide enough range of houses that if we do well enough on the sale of ours we can get something manageable but still with a nice big yard for dh.

I realize either way a hospital birth is fraught with its own issues. However, 1) dh just won't go for a homebirth; and 2) given my history it's probably not the best idea. I'd love to, but also having the impending move would be too much of a distractionl.

Off to lie down with Sophia for naptime. I'm pooped. Don't know if she is, but I need to lie down! :LOL

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Old 06-20-2005, 04:18 PM

we will definately try to be there, either day is fine for us.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:32 PM

...well mamas, if that's ok with everybody : , lets have a playdate tomorrow-tuesday ( kirei -can you make it?) around 2pm, at Amelie and Maya's house.We can also have a back-up plan for playdate on wed.
Hope to see you mamas.
aneta

Old 06-20-2005, 09:13 PM

i just talked to my neighbor, she seems excited, so we will see everyone tomorrow at two!
Old 06-20-2005, 11:34 PM

I'm sorry, I can't make it... My nana just had a stroke, and she passed away today.

I will get to one of the playdates soon.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirei
I'm sorry, I can't make it... My nana just had a stroke, and she passed away today.

I will get to one of the playdates soon.
Sorry to hear that, mama.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:14 PM

Kirei, my thoughts are with your family. Take care, mama.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:52 PM

Kirei,

My deepest sympathy about your nana.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:18 PM

Kirei,
My deepest condolences to you and your family. May you be comforted with your memories and your family.

Saw Dale today; loved her. I'm not going tomorrow to Marge. Just going to go with my gut on this one. Besides, I don't think the office distance difference is significant enough to make me change my mind.

Old 06-23-2005, 11:50 AM

I'm so sorry for the loss of your Nana, Kirei.
It's so hard to lose someone so close.
Take care of yourself.

-Amy
Old 06-24-2005, 10:00 AM

Thank you.

It's been really difficult. Every day for this past week has been LONG...... non-stop running around, trying to get things done. Janae has been so great, but I know it's hard on her. She isn't able to get enough naps because we're out nearly all day. She's been kind of cranky because of it, although distracted by lots of people paying attention to her.

Gaby'sIma -- I'm so glad you liked Dale. She really is wonderful. I may see you around the office at some point. .... I started seeing the chiropractor there, after seeing Dale. Dr. Kelly is REALLY great too.

Also, in case anyone wanted to know.... I had an appointment with Dr. Kate Wightman yesterday, for myself and Janae... we LOVED her!!! I have NEVER had a doctor I liked so much. She didn't talk down to me, she was open and friendly, seemed sincere.... and get this: she was FINE with no-vaxing and told me that her own kids are not vaxed either!!!! I couldn't believe it. So not only is my doctor okay with not-vaxing, but she understands WHY and feels the same way. It is such a relief to see a doctor who I feel I can actually talk to.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:01 PM

Mammas Just to want to let you know mamas that tomorrow we are having a playdate starting around 2pm, so please free to join us.
Kirei-i'm so sorry for the loss of your Nana. .If you feel like meeting people, let us know.
Gaby's Ima- so glad that you liked Dale.Sometimes I think that getting pregnant again might be a good excuse to meet her again .
aneta

Old 06-27-2005, 06:15 PM

I'd love to come for a playdate, I just can't do a Tuesday! If you have one on a Mon / Wed / Fri, I'll come.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:08 PM

hello all,
my name is tara- stay-at-home-mom to michael, two and a half, and grant, born at home three weeks ago. We moved to Wantagh a year ago from London (i'm originally from Ronkonkoma). We currently are with a local pediatric group, but I am wanting to find a pediatrician that might be more in line with our family values. When I took Grant to have his official visit with a doctor, two days after his birth, the pediatrician treated me as if I was crazy for having a baby at home, etc.
Can anyone recommend a pediatrician that is a bit more 'natural'?

By the way, Dale Cook is my midwife and she is excellent, so i feel it's worth the trip, is she's not located near you.

Thanks alot,
Tara
Old 06-28-2005, 01:39 PM

i go to Dr Ente in mineola, and i like him a lot.

my midwife gave me his card when my second was born and he has been really great with us. very friendly, good with the kids, fine with not vaxing though he does personally support it, fine with home birth.

his number is 516 873 3683.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:24 PM

thx for the recommendation. my midwife's assistant gave me one as well, in levittown, so since that is closer, i'll try that one.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:13 PM

Hi Mamas,

You're not going to believe this after my midwife drama, but now my doula may have to go out of town the week I'm due.

She's a certified doula but was doing me a favor as a friend as money is very tight right now and I can't afford the $1,000 standard doula fee. I can't even really afford half that.

So now I need a backup. There's still a chance she might be around but it doesn't look likely. I currently live in Cedarhurst (we will be moving further east at some point to Plainview or Huntington but maybe not before the babe is due in late August) and will be delivering at NUMC in East Meadow with Dale (hopefully) or Jeannette as her backup.

Any recommendations of great doulas who work on a sliding scale? I'd love to be able to call and say, "so and so recommended you" etc.

THanks!
Nicole

Old 07-05-2005, 11:36 AM

Hi...one great place to go/person to call is the Suffolk county chapter of Natural Mothering Forum, based in Yaphank, and Long Island Homebirth Forum. Call Keri for Natural MOthering at 631-205-1985 and Ashley for LIHF, 631-384-1222.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:50 AM

Hey mamas! I haven't really been here in a bit...just reading really quick.

Kirei - I'm so sorry about the loss of your nana. I hope you have lots of good memories to help you through this difficult time.

It's so good to see more & more new mamas here! Sometimes I feel so overwhelmed by the mainstream living on LI.
Yogamama - where in Wantagh are you? That's where I grew up & now I'm in Babylon. We're over there a lot though since my mom still lives there.

I was thinking of doing the Children's Museum this week. Anyone interested?
Old 07-05-2005, 11:56 AM

I'd be interested in taking my 23 month old dd. Never been there, is it a good thing for her or is she too young?

Old 07-05-2005, 02:30 PM

Nicole, yes your dd would love it!! I started taking my son at about 2 years old. There's a toddler fun spot for the little ones as well, but even the stuff for the older kids is entertaining for toddlers. We joined as members. I'd love to go along with you, but my newborn is 4 weeks old, not ready for the museum just yet.

Gwen,
I actually grew up in Ronkonkoma, and now am in Wantagh. We live in a development called holiday park. We just moved here a year ago. ALthough very congested, we still really like the area.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:28 PM

Re: Who to call.

I just want to clarify - the LIHF was started by Desa (Desdamona here), Keri of NMF (mentioned in the above post) and another amazing woman named Genny. Desa just had her fourth son (second born at home), Keri is due with her second in a couple of weeks and Genny is in the process of moving to FL.

I've started to run a Riverhead extension of the group, but the Patchogue-Medford group is still alive and well, although on hiatus for a bit. You can actually reach all of us at: [email protected]. We check that email regularly (Desa and I do) and we send out special notices regarding meetings from there. If you want to be added to the mailing list, please either PM me or send an email there.

We're full of resources and always happy to help.

*~* A * Mama to C and A * *~* I blog - PM me for the URL
Old 07-10-2005, 03:40 PM

Thanks Ashley for clarifying ... But you know you are more than welcome to toot your horn for running the sister group in Riverhead!

A place to look for doulas here on LI if you haven't seen it already is on the Stony Brook MW's webpage... They have a semi-current list (I am still on the list but haven't attended any births in over 2½yrs) of doulas and CBE's here on the Island.

Feel free to get in touch with us at LIHF if you need any more resources...

Warmly,
Old 07-10-2005, 04:23 PM

On this topic, what is the wisdom (around here :LOL ) -- if I'm having a midwife, do I need a doula as well or is it redundant?

I made my dh agree to paying what we can for a doula since he just can't fathom the idea of homebirth but things are so tight right now that I just want to make sure I'm using my resources (both financial and with dh, lol!) wisely.

Sorry mamas. My hormones and stress are getting to me. Thanks for any input.
Best, Nicole

Old 07-10-2005, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
So, anybody want to come to my house today to help me pack and take some of this extra furniture off my hands? :LOL

We're moving on Tuesday and I'm completely overwhelmed!!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)

User Tag List