Long Island Mamas??!! - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-27-2005, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
both of the boys are sick today, caleb slept til noon! we dont want to infect everyone else, but hopefully we'll see you next week!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2005, 03:36 PM

Morgan- i hope boys feeling better today, it's no fun to get sick during hot summer days .
yoga mama88, jaf661- it would be great to meet more MDC mamas, hope you can join us for next playdate .We won't be around next week ( having little hoilday), but we should plan something for the second week of August.We are open to any day, usually we meet on tuesdays, so let me know mamas which day works for you.
aneta

mama to Amelie '02, Maya' 04, Oliver'07 and Gavin'09
Old 07-28-2005, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoga_mama88
hi all
i have not really been able to post much with a newborn, but he's now 7 weeks old! i'm starting to feel a little overwhelmed, partly because of the heat, we are trapped in the house right now.
I know i haven't really gotten to know you all that much, but i would love to meet up for your playdates. I live in Wantagh, just off the s.state.
I have two boys, 2 1/2 and 7 weeks.

our boys are about the same age (mine are almost 27 months and almost 5 months) and i live in east meadow, so not far from you. if i had a bigger car i would say we could carpool to the next playdate. hope to see you there!
Old 07-31-2005, 07:32 PM

We're going to try to join you for a playdate in August sometime. We're in Wyoming for a bit of vacation with my family - yay- except my dog had to be put to sleep last week. She was an old friend of the family - I grew up with her. My parents waited for me to come home and make the decision and then I had to take her. Wow - it was so hard, but I think for the best as she had a stomach cancer that was growing out of control.

On another note, keep your eyes open for a Long Island Babywearing meeting coming soon. Amy has been hard at work getting us going on this, so it should be sometime in August. We'll make an announcement when the details are set.

*~* A * Mama to C and A * *~* I blog - PM me for the URL
Old 07-31-2005, 08:41 PM

Oh, that would be neat (Long Island Babywearing). I've done pouches, slings, Mei Tais, the Ergo, and the Bjorn, but I'd love to try a wrap with the newborn and am totally intimidated by all that material.

Okay, on another note...we're in the final countdown (37 weeks plus)...

starting some homeopathy (form of blue/black cohosh?) that Dale gave me....think laboring thoughts!

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Old 08-01-2005, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaby'sIma
Oh, that would be neat (Long Island Babywearing). I've done pouches, slings, Mei Tais, the Ergo, and the Bjorn, but I'd love to try a wrap with the newborn and am totally intimidated by all that material.
Yep, actually the yahoo group is LIBabywearing, if anyone is interested in joining. We'll send announcements through there and encourage sling discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaby'sIma
Okay, on another note...we're in the final countdown (37 weeks plus)...

starting some homeopathy (form of blue/black cohosh?) that Dale gave me....think laboring thoughts!
You know, our m/w suggested we use the cohoshes when I was 40+ weeks and after some research, we decided against it. There were too many risks for us - we decided to just wait and let the baby come when he decided to (and I know how you feel with it being so hot and you being so pregnant - Clark was born at the end of last August - I thought I was going to die I was so hot). We did use some Red Raspberry Leaf tea, though.

For your sake, I hope your little one comes soon.

Old 08-01-2005, 07:29 PM

DOES ANYONE NEED A TODDLER/PRESCHOOLER CAR SEAT??

I don't know anyone IRL who does, and I thought I'd offer it here before trying to sell it at a yard sale. I have 2 which are in good condition--both are the 5 point safety harnesses. One is black (well, top is a teeny bit sun faded and looks kinda maroonish when sun hits it) and the other is blue with ABCs on it. The black one is a fancier model (very nice, my son likes it--we got it new as a gift about a yr ago) complete with built in pillow. None have been in any accidents, and all parts work well. I believe they both have LATCH. My peanut grew out of his (they recommend up to 40lbs).

Sorry, I don't have pics right now....PM me or post here if interested

Kelly

Kelly, mama (12yoDS), doula, RN, and writer.
There's no where you can be that isn't where you were meant to be, its easy
Old 08-01-2005, 07:36 PM

I think I saw someone post on either nassau freecycle or nyc craigslist that they were looking for one.

You can always post on freecycle yourself. Also, here there is an organization dedicated to providing carseats to people who need them, I think it's called the Ahava Project (means love in Hebrew). http://theahavaproject.org/index.php

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Old 08-02-2005, 09:50 AM

Okay, now I'm confused.

There are a few Long Island babywearing yahoogroups but are they all the same thing?

LI-Babywearing
LIBabywearing
Long_Island_NINO

I want to join the "right" one (i.e. the one other people are on and send messages to, lol).

Old 08-02-2005, 10:55 AM

Hi mamas -- I need a little advice as to where to spend one of our last weekends before school starts back up. DH wants to do an amusement park type trip for the older boys (who are 9 and almost 7). I am not so sure about how fun/practical it'll be since we do have a 2 ½ y/o and 2 month old... Plus I can predict needing a GALLON of Rescue Remedy with visiting a BIG theme park type attraction

I am open to any and all suggestions that are a few hours (3-5 hrs or less) away from NYC. SPAM me! TIA
Old 08-03-2005, 04:52 AM

Hi everyone!
Hi Kelly!!!! How are you mama???

There are two babywearing groups on long island right now and one in manhattan

Ashley and I have started one and our first meeting is coming soon. Here's the link:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LIBabywearing/

Melissa's group is concentrated in the Hampton's area (SAG Harbor to be exact) and the name of her yahoo group is: NINO of the Hamptons
I will post her exact info when I can!
Her e-mail is: [email protected]

Bianca's group is NYCbabywearing and they have a meeting tomorrow @ 2:30 pm at Starwich.
Their link is:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NYCBabywearing/

Old 08-06-2005, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdamona
Hi mamas -- I need a little advice as to where to spend one of our last weekends before school starts back up. DH wants to do an amusement park type trip for the older boys (who are 9 and almost 7). I am not so sure about how fun/practical it'll be since we do have a 2 ½ y/o and 2 month old... Plus I can predict needing a GALLON of Rescue Remedy with visiting a BIG theme park type attraction

I am open to any and all suggestions that are a few hours (3-5 hrs or less) away from NYC. SPAM me! TIA

Hi Desdamona!

I got this in my e-mail and thought of you (all the info below is from urbanbaby.com).
Just ignore the stroller/babysitter/kids-are-a-burden babble and you have some interesting ideas for a small vacay.
They aren't theme parks but sound fun!

August 5, 2005

The Great Escape

Let’s face it, when you need a break, keeping travel-time to a minimum is key. And by August, who couldn’t use a little new scenery in their life? What follows is a list of grown-up spots that a kid will also find fun. No Disney. No Club Med. Just family-friendly weekend getaways within a few hours of the city.

Lack Placid, New York: Home of the Olympic village and situated in the beautiful Adirondack Mountains, there’s plenty to do here: Hike, fish, canoe, bike, swim, take a tour of the Olympic sites, or a scenic boat ride to check out the Great Camps on Lake Placid. Mirror Lake Inn on the lakeshore has its own beach and a health spa for some adult pampering.
Mirror Lake Inn Resort and Spa, Lake Placid, New York, 518-523-2544,
mirrorlakeinn.com.

Northwest Corner Connecticut & the Berkshires: Walking, lake swimming, hiking, art galleries, impressive restaurants–plus music, dance, and theater in Tanglewood. Visit the Norman Rockwell Museum in Stockbridge, MA for family fun activities, and check-out the famous Lime Rock Park raceway in Lime, CT. The Wake Robin Inn offers 11+ hilltop acres, fine dining and special family packages.
Wake Robin Inn, 106 Sharon Rd (Rte. 41), Lakeville, CT, 860-435-2000,
wakerobininn.com.

Spring Lake, New Jersey: Just over an hour outside of Manhattan via car or NJ Transit from Penn Station, is the sleepy beach town of Spring Lake. Founded in 1892, you'll find rambling Victorian mansions with wraparound porches, and a kid’s park surrounded by weeping willows and a spring-fed lake with swans. The two mile non-commercial boardwalk is great for strollers and abuts an immaculate stretch of beach. For great food in a hip low-key atmosphere, try Dennis Foy’s Restaurant in nearby Point Pleasant, and afterwards, let the kids experience some traditional Jersey-style rides & amusements at the Point Pleasant Boardwalk.
The Breakers, 1507 Ocean Ave., Spring Lake, NJ, 732-449-7700,
breakershotel.com.

Amagansett, NY: For Hampton diehards, check out the family-friendly Gansett Green Manor, which is happy to accommodate requests for high chairs, baby monitors, cribs, & babysitters. Charming, comfortable cottages, surrounded by beautiful beaches– all within walking distance of shops and restaurants.
Gansett Green Manor, Amagansett, NY, 631-267-3133,
gansettgreenmanor.com.

Mystic, Connecticut: About as family-friendly and fun for adults as it gets with its nineteenth-century seaport, cool aquarium, nearby beaches, and namesake pizza joint.
Mystic Seaport, 860-572-0711, visitmysticseaport.com or choosehotels.com.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:48 PM

Hey Mamas!

Just wanted to let you all know that the water park at Venetian Shores in Lindenhurst is open. We went today & had a great time. Hannah got to run around, we relaxed on the beach, run around, relax. They really did a nice job with it.

We're going away this Tuesday through the end of the week, but we're up for going when we get back.

Take care everyone!
Old 08-08-2005, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdamona

go camping at Wildwood. They have a bay beach on site. They also have recreation for the kids sometimes in the evenings. It might not be booked up since the summer is winding down. Worth a look. THere's also the aquarium at RIverhead. Great for all ages, I think. THen again, you could stay out east and go to the farms. They have berry picking for kids and hay rides. And it's not far from either Wildwood or the aquarium. Just a thought...
Old 08-09-2005, 09:07 PM

This may sound silly, but there's a "Wildwood" out here on the Island? Please bear in mind, that I've only been living here for ~3.5 years; I'm originally from Jersey, so I always think of the one there with the amusements and boardwalk on the ocean.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maymom2b
Hi Desdamona!

I got this in my e-mail and thought of you (all the info below is from urbanbaby.com).
Just ignore the stroller/babysitter/kids-are-a-burden babble and you have some interesting ideas for a small vacay.
They aren't theme parks but sound fun!
Thanks, Amy. These sound like something more my speed. I'll run them by DH as long as we get our new van ((Cross your fingers!!)) And BTW, I love your daughter's name!

mommamia -- Wildwood?? I'm not familiar with it... I'll have to google it. And thanks for thinking about the Aquarium. I visit it at least 2xs a season. We know every little nook and cranny of that place. Thanks for your suggestions as well.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:47 PM

Hi Mammas
Hope you are doing well.We are back from little holidays, and still recovering from super extended traveling ( 6 hours at the airport+2,5 hours in the air).It feels great to be back .And we are ready for a playdate ...If anyone wants to meet tomorrow, that would be great, maybe we should meet at the water park at the Venetian Shores, most likely afternoon ( 4pm) would be a better choice, it's less crowed.
Would be great to play with you again
aneta amelie maya

Old 08-11-2005, 10:22 AM

Hi mama,

I was thinking of a CD get together. See the thread here http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=326911

And if we have a good turn out maybe we can trade and/or sell the things we don't need or use anymore?!
Old 08-11-2005, 01:50 PM

Aneta,

We are unexpectedly out of town this week. Our wood floor guy had to change our week to this one, so we're visiting family. We'll be back next week and can't wait to check out the new water park!
Old 08-12-2005, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredsmom
This may sound silly, but there's a "Wildwood" out here on the Island? Please bear in mind, that I've only been living here for ~3.5 years; I'm originally from Jersey, so I always think of the one there with the amusements and boardwalk on the ocean.
It's north of Wading River-- they have areas for tent and camper camping. You can go hiking a bit (well a little bit, at least), plus there is a bay beach on the LI Sound there. Our whole family used to go (about 30 of us) every year. It's very family friendly. They do book up early, though--but this time of year they may have some openings. It's also nice inthe beginning of fall for a weekend.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:56 PM

Try as I might, I just can't seem to get to be any closer to a SAHM. So I may just have to resign myself to weekends for playdates, etc. THere's a ton to do out here, if anyone's interested.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommamia
Try as I might, I just can't seem to get to be any closer to a SAHM. So I may just have to resign myself to weekends for playdates, etc. THere's a ton to do out here, if anyone's interested.
We're on the East End and can sometimes do weekends. I'm sure open to hosting (although we won't have air conditioning for at least another month or so...ugh). There are some others out this way too - maybe we could start doing something like Aneta does. Not to compete, but give another option. I know it's hard for me to get in that far with my guy who hates the car seat.

Old 08-13-2005, 12:24 AM

Our first official meeting!

Date: 15 August (Monday)
Time: 11 AM
Where: Sayville Park and Marina.
Directions: From Montauk Highway in Sayville, go South on Foster
Ave, then East on Browns River Rd. At the end, there should be a
parking lot and we'll be near the playground.

Look for Blue Balloons! I'll have a couple so you know how to find us.

If you have any questions, please call me at 631.384.1222.

To join the yahoo group, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LIBabywearing

All announcements will go through there in the future.

Yes, there was some confusion about the group name, but Amy and I have banded together and joined forces. Our goal is to eventually have sister meetings all over the island - so get your slings in gear!

Hope to see some of you there!

Old 08-14-2005, 03:19 PM

Ashley and Amy-big congrats on starting new and so exciting group , i'm not sure if i can make it this monday, but i will sling with you mamas in near future .
This week we are back to LI life, no more traveling, and we really looking forward to some real deal playdate. What about tuesday 11 am ? Should we plan a pool party?
aneta

Old 08-14-2005, 09:18 PM

if we're back in town by tuesday, we will be there!
Old 08-14-2005, 10:10 PM

Thanks Aneta. Hope to see you soon at one of our meetings.

oooh...we'd love a pool party. It's a busy week tho as we're off to WY again Weds.
We'll see what we can do though.

Old 08-16-2005, 12:32 PM

Ashley & Amy - good luck with the group! Hope everything went well yesterday!

Aneta - We just got back from Virginia. Unfortunately my nephew was sick & passed it on to Hannah & me, so I'd hate to pass it on again. I was loooking forward to seeing you all .
Old 08-16-2005, 01:06 PM

Hi everyone!

Just checking in to touch base and say hi. Spring and summer are always very busy for us, but it's starting to calm down a bit now. Maybe we can make it out for a play date some day, if you'll still have us!

Stay cool...
Carrie
Old 08-16-2005, 08:56 PM

we havent made it back to new york yet, hope to see everyone soon though!
Old 08-16-2005, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniej
We're on the East End and can sometimes do weekends. I'm sure open to hosting (although we won't have air conditioning for at least another month or so...ugh). There are some others out this way too - maybe we could start doing something like Aneta does. Not to compete, but give another option. I know it's hard for me to get in that far with my guy who hates the car seat.

I wonder if we've met at one of the LaLeche events? Were you at the Chile dinner this winter? I don't go to the meetings b/c I work (plus we weaned after 13 months). We've been showing our house on weekends, but often have last minute free afternoons. I just wish I was settled in our new home by now. We've been in limbo for 11 months now. Ugh. Know anyone who wants to buy a home on theNorth fork?

User Tag List