Westchester NY Mamas! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 40 Old 08-27-2008, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi!

Just relocated to Westchester and looking for reccs on all the good stuff!

ISO:

~no-vax/selective/delayed friendly ped

~fantastic chiro for well visits (for kids and adults) and adjustments

~local coops-- are there any great organic coops in the area???

~fave restaurants-- any organic places in the county??

~friends! where are all the crunchies hangin' out??!!

thanks and its nice to meet everyone!!

~stephanie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 40 Old 09-02-2008, 01:55 PM

Chiro - Dr. Jonathan Donath in Full Circle Family Care in White Plains.

Ped. - try Dr. Erin Kelleher. While she's not super-supportive of delayed vax, she's in general very pro-AP and very pro Bfing and other AP practices, very non judgemental.

Welcome to the area! I live in Fleetwood, which is in the south.

Enjoy!
#3 of 40 Old 09-02-2008, 04:08 PM

Briarcliff peds are great.Dr Costabile.I moved from Tarrytown to CT and now northern NJ and I STILL travel to see him.We never left.People think that I am crazy.
Ther is a great sushi place in Dobbs ferry called sushi mike's.
Where in Westchester are you?

Natasha,Mum to many.
"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." ~ Sir Winston Churchill
#4 of 40 Old 09-04-2008, 04:26 PM

Hi, I'm new to this forum.

Our chiro is fantastic. Dr. Laura Heisler in New Rochelle- Aspen Healing Center. We brought our DD to her when she was 4 weeks old since she was a C-section and C-sect babies can get neck problems from delivery. I highly recommend her.

I would love to find some local organic food coop but i don't know of any. there's a farmer's market in new rochelle during the summer but not much organic produce.

I would also love to meet some local moms to hang with. All of my peers' kids are much older.

Mama to an IVF baby girl, Lennon Emelia, born 6/3/08! and the Junebug kitty... Missing the Jeddy and Ashes kitties
#5 of 40 Old 09-04-2008, 09:17 PM

Hi Westchester Mamas,

We are not there yet but after much debate have decided to focus on Westchester...we'll be relocating some time this school year. We have pretty much narrowed our search down to Croton-on-Hudson, Pleasantville or Dobbs Ferry...which do you all think might be the "crunchiest" option (if any?)

It's great to have those doctor recommendations........does anyone have experience with a nursery/pre-K program that they love too?

I don't know about food co-ops but have heard the Peekskill farmer's market is a good one...I have also heard good things about Stone Barns Center for Food and Agriculture http://www.stonebarnscenter.org/ and Muscoot Farm http://www.muscootfarm.org/farmersmarket.htm which has a farmers' market till the end of Oct.
#6 of 40 Old 09-05-2008, 01:08 PM

Has anyone found any local playgroups? I really don't have any friends with very young kids or infants.

Mama to an IVF baby girl, Lennon Emelia, born 6/3/08! and the Junebug kitty... Missing the Jeddy and Ashes kitties
#7 of 40 Old 09-05-2008, 01:21 PM

Hi guys!

There are a couple AP Westchester mamas Yahoo! groups, but not super active. Always looking for new members!

We like Dr. Kenamore in Hartsdale Peds, but she's NOT no-vax friendly. She's working with un delayed vax, though, which I know is outside her "comfort zone." Other than the vax issue, she's been awesome.

My hubby is a chiro in the central-Westchester area, if you want his name and number, just PM me!

Muskoot Farm is fun any day, but I thinkthe Farmer's Market is only one day. There's an indoor Farmer's Market at the County Center in White Plains:
Indoor Farmers' Market
Select Sundays, November 2008 through March 2009
November 16
December 14
January 4
February 8
March 15

10 am. to 3 p.m.
Westchester County Center
Free Admission, Parking $4

Fresh Produce, Delicious Baked Goods, Flowers and Plants, Maple Syrup, Honey & Jams, Meats Wines, Dairy Products

Purchase a variety of food and products that were grown and produced by New York Sate farmers and vendors. Plus food demonstrations by a local Chef-of-the-Month, mouth watering samples, and musical entertainment!

For general information, call (914) 995-4050
For vendor information, call (914) 864-7148

The Westchester County Center
198 Central Avenue
White Plains, NY 10606
914-995-4050
#8 of 40 Old 09-06-2008, 04:21 PM

Croton on hudson is generally pretty "crunchy". They have a local coffee shop and the town is walkable.
Pleasantville is prettier, but more expensive. Maybe not so crunchy as Croton.

We use Dr. Michael Lasser in Peekskill.....I cannot say enough good things about him, he is AWESOME. He supports delayed vax/selective vax/no vax. He is pro breastfeeding and pro homebirth. (his wife had a homebirth and breastfed all three of their boys at least til 3)

It is a very busy office, but he is so good and I trust him TOTALLY.
#9 of 40 Old 09-10-2008, 02:40 AM

Hello to everybody, I am new here
I live in Eastchester and I am getting crazy looking for a
PEDIATRICIAN that supports delayed vax (for my 2 years old daughter)

I also would love to find a holistic pediatrician. I need one especially for my 7 years old daughter who suffers from asthma. She is getting sick every other week and I'd like to try some alternative medicine.

Grazie.
Anna
#10 of 40 Old 09-14-2008, 07:20 PM

(sometimes I feel like this is the only post I ever put on here! lol)

I can't recommend Riverside Pediatrics in Croton on Hudson strongly enough. It's almost as if every person I meet who doesn't vax/ delays uses them. Dr Cowan and Dr Baskind are the two main guys. I drive a half hour to get to the practice- that's how great I think they are!

Lots of people also find Full Circle in White Plains a great resource. I use one of their midwives for well visits (she takes insurance!). But they have pediatricans, homeopaths, etc.

I've lived in Westchester most of my life, and I have to say- it is not a hotbed of crunchy-ness. But for me, the way people do the specifics has become a lot less important the older my kids have gotten. More and more it's about the actual person- not their "crunchy creds."
#11 of 40 Old 09-14-2008, 09:54 PM

Welcome. I love the pleasentville farmers market and the one at muscoot both have at least two organic produce vendors each week.

there is a farm share coop but i'm sure what it is called and i know it sells out quickly, maybe google?

we love dr. purvis at mt. kisco medical group in katonah. i almost don't want to share because i don't want her to get too busy!!!! dr. lasser is great too just a little far for me.

since we are networking, any westchester homeschoolers out there? my dd is only 2 but i'm searching to find a community/group.
#12 of 40 Old 09-18-2008, 03:39 AM

Hi, and welcome to Westchester County.

We live in Yonkers and I was raised in Mt. Vernon. I haven't found either community to be particularly crunchy, but have found some good resources nearby:

Chiro: Dr. Russell in Fleetwood. He and his wife share the practice. Very open-minded and excellent care.

Ped. We were seeing one in Eastchester. She was OK re: our not vaxing, but kind of ignorant about bf, which was a turnoff, so I wouldn't recommend.

Food Co-ops: Don't know of any in my immediate area, but we go to the farmers' markets in Greenwich, CT (not very far and you can get raw milk there!), at the New York Botanical Gardens (just a short hop to the Bronx), and at Muscoot Farm on Sundays (excellent eggs, pickled foods, and other things, plus critters to see).

As an AP mom to a nearly three-year-old son (ext. bf'ing and seriously considering homeschooling) I really wish I knew some like-minded mamas near me. Haven't come across any at the local playgrounds or pretty much anywhere else. Once met one at the Botanical Gardens, but she was from New England! If anyone around in Yonkers, Bronxville, Tuckahoe, New Ro, or Scarsdale would like to meet, count me in.

I don't know of any specifically organic restaurants (except for Blue Hill at Stone Barns, which is supposed to be great), but some of the non-organic places we like include A'Mangiare in Bronxville (Italian); Spice Village in Tuckahoe (Indian, great lunch buffet); Eastchester Fish Gourmet; and Ripe in Mt. Vernon (excellent Jamaican; the chef/owner beat Bobby Flay in a Throwdown!)

Oh, and for the poster looking for a good place to relocate in Westchester: Yonkers is a large and diverse city, also quite affordable in some areas, but the school system has been struggling for awhile; similar deal with Mt. Vernon (but it's a much smaller city). Bronxville and Scarsdale are very upscale and quite expensive. Hastings-on-Hudson and Dobbs Ferry are both lovely, but still kind of pricey. If I could afford to buy in Westchester, I'd probably choose the Fleetwood section of Mt. Vernon, Hastings, Dobbs Ferry, or Tuckahoe. Sleepy Hollow/Tarrytown are also really nice.

Good luck everyone!

Susan--SAHM/Freelancer, wife to Neil;  nonvaxing, CLW, cloth-diapering, homeschooling Mom to Benjamin, 5, and baby Daniel, born via VBAC!
#13 of 40 Old 09-24-2008, 10:19 AM

My niece just had a baby (she used a midwife & BF mama, and I'd love to recommend a new mom& baby group to her.

So what are the new mothers doing in Westchester?
Any decent new mom and baby groups?
Do you all go to LLL meetings?
#14 of 40 Old 09-25-2008, 02:20 PM

i've gone to one LLL meeting in White Plains and plan to go back.

i'm back to work so don't have time for any playgroups but i'm hoping to start part-time hours, in which case i would want to find one.

#15 of 40 Old 09-25-2008, 03:11 PM

I exchange email with one of the LLLL in Westchester and she suggest this is nice like minded group of mamas who go to the Holistic moms group.

http://home.homewebs.com/hmnwestchesterctyny/

It meets on Saturday, I like that, it takes into consideration the vast majority of women who also work outside the home.
#16 of 40 Old 12-04-2008, 08:55 PM

dewi, have you gone to the holistic moms group? i plan on checking it out next month.

#17 of 40 Old 12-15-2008, 06:24 PM

bumping this up.... anyone find any good playgroups, preferably ones that meet up on the weekends and ones with younger babes (<12 months)?

#18 of 40 Old 12-15-2008, 06:29 PM

Just another vote for Riverside Peds in Croton-on-Hudson. We're in Cold Spring and drive 30 minutes. Worth it! We see Dr Baskind. I've heard Cowan is great too. Have heard less favorable reports of the Odells (husband and wife both practice there), though nothing specific.

Welcome and best wishes!
#19 of 40 Old 12-15-2008, 07:15 PM

I used to use Riverside Peds and it was good. Now I use Dr. Katz in Nyack. It's about the same distance for me.

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#20 of 40 Old 12-16-2008, 05:12 PM

Hi Westchester mommies

I am in Jersey now but I grew up in westchester! This thread is making me a little homesick, LOL. I grew up in Elmsford (right outside white plains) and went to Pleasantville HS. Also spent TONS of time in Croton on Hudson- if I was going to move back to westchester I think I would try to go there. they had a really cool local arts/music scene... at least a few years ago....
#21 of 40 Old 12-18-2008, 01:10 AM

Hi ladies!
I recently moved to New Rochelle, close to Eastchester. I'm expecting our first baby any day now and having trouble finding a ped. Does anyone have recommendations for peds who are pro-BF, pro-AP, and hopefully okay with selective/delayed vax? Ideally, not too far north of White Plains?

I went to an open house at Riverside Peds b/c several mamas on here recommended them... while Baskind seemed okay at first (and I like that he's into homeopathy and doesn't throw abx at everything), he really annoyed me when talking about breastfeeding. He made a pretty tacky joke about "putting the girls away" when babies start teething, said to start solids at 4 months, said that the baby will not learn to chew if you wait more than 6 months, said to give whole cow's milk at 9 months and completely dodged a question about what the AMA recommends. It was a real turn-off and very surprising!

Anyway, PLEASE help out a FTM who's new to Westchester and post or PM me about your peds if you like them! I'm 37 weeks now and desperately need to find someone ASAP! Thank you!

SAHM to DS Jan09, DD Mar11. lactivist.gifintactivist.giffamilybed2.gifhomebirth.jpguc.jpgwinner.jpggd.gifcaffix.gif

#22 of 40 Old 12-18-2008, 02:52 PM

hi rachel, congratulations! we are in NR too but closer to the south shore.

i'm not thrilled with our ped but they are pro BF (although they are starting to pressure me to start solids- not so bad considering DD is 6 months old now). we are selectively vac and so far it has not been a problem but if you are considering delayed or no vac i'm not sure if they'd be on board. i recommend making an appt for an interview.

Pediatric Associates of Southern Westchester
145 Huguenot St suite 200
235-1400

I've seen Dr. Meisler and Schulwolf (i like shulwolf better- she takes more time with us and my many questions).

#23 of 40 Old 12-18-2008, 08:27 PM

If you're looking for someone pro-BF, pro AP and willing to discuss delayed vax (not crazy about it, but willing to have the conversation) then Dr. Erin Kelleher is excellent. She's in Tuckahoe, which is very close to you (off the BRP and near the tuckahoe RR station)

She recently became a certified LC, which is great. She doesn't question about things that are not medical issues but parenting ones, like co-sleeping, sleep issues, etc. She's always said to me "keep doing what you're doing" when it came to BFing, parenting, etc.

Feel free to PM me if you want more info.
#24 of 40 Old 12-19-2008, 05:19 PM

I have never ever had a problem with Dr Baskind and breastfeeding...but then again, I never looked for affirmation from my ped. that how/when/why/etc I breastfed was ok. Larry is a jokester, which I (and my kids) really like, but to each his own. You might find Dr Cowan more to your liking.

I really feel like no one ped. is going to be your end all be all- it's most important to me that they don't push medicine, and support the vax issue. Seriously, I don't know anyone who is a delayed/ non-vaxer in Westchester who doesn't use Riverside.

Pediatricians generally don't get great training re:breastfeeding. I just preferred to get my info and support from LLL or books or a LC.

Maybe I just can't hear anyone slam Larry B.! He's awesome- for example, one time I had a question about school districts (we were considering moving where he had his kids enrolled) and he (a very busy dr) called me to talk about it and give me an honest inside scoop. I never thought I'd have **loving*** feeling for our pediatrics practice, but what do you know, I do!

Anyway, welcome to new mom-hood!
#25 of 40 Old 12-30-2008, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna xox View Post
Hello to everybody, I am new here
I live in Eastchester and I am getting crazy looking for a
PEDIATRICIAN that supports delayed vax (for my 2 years old daughter)

I also would love to find a holistic pediatrician. I need one especially for my 7 years old daughter who suffers from asthma. She is getting sick every other week and I'd like to try some alternative medicine.

Grazie.
Anna
I just joined the group as well as this thread so you've probably gotten tons of recommendations by now...if you're still looking though, Westchester Medical group has offices in Rye, White Plains, Yonkers and Scarsdale. Their doctors are excellent, their offices and service are excellent and best of all its their policy to show support and respect to parents that choose delayed vax (only a couple of their doctors will take no vax patients tho). We use Dr Wendy Proskin at the Rye office. She's young, kinda crunchy and she has a preschooler and a toddler.
#26 of 40 Old 02-27-2009, 06:37 PM

Anyone know of any at MKMG? I'm up north, in Yorktown. >.<

Wacky Zack! Born 23-Apr-2009
:::::::
#27 of 40 Old 12-26-2010, 02:34 PM

Hello and Happy Holidays to everyone!  I just recently relocated to Westchester and I was wondering has anyone Heard of Bambini Pediatrics Wholesome Care For Kids?  They are located in Poughkeepsie NY and are an Integrative Medical Practice who according to their website are supportive of delayed vax.  It is a 45 min. drive for us but if anyone has any input on this place please let me know.  I cannot find any Pediatrician in Lower Westchester like this who takes insurance and are supportive of delayed vax.  Thank you and nice to meet everyone!-COOP4 

#28 of 40 Old 12-29-2010, 11:19 AM

My pediatrician is not "supportive" per se of delayed vax, but she is tolerant of my difference of opinion, and she respects my intelligence.   I chose her because she came highly recommended as pro-BFing and doesn't push antibiotics too much.  I stick with her and recommend her to others because she is respectful of me as a parent, knows that I am the primary decision maker, and can discuss issues intelligently and respectfully.   She is a partner in that care, but doesn't use ultimatums or scare-tactics.  She is also very friendly.  When I had #2 at home, she chattily remarked "you're getting more crunchy in your old age ;)"  I like her as a doctor and as a person. 

Our pediatrician is Dr. Erin Kelleher in Tuckahoe, right off the Bronx River Parkway.  The practice is called "bronxeville Pediatrics" and the head doctor is Dr. Mark Rabuse.   FYI, the other doctors in the practice are more mainstream - we stick with Dr. Kelleher.

#29 of 40 Old 01-02-2011, 09:30 AM

Dr. Stuart Tashman is a pediatrician located in Wurtsboro, NY (may also work out of another location but not sure).  He is amazing!  He listens, understands and offers options.  Although he is not against vaccinations, he will offer suggestions.  He also is available around the clock & makes house calls even!  Which is pretty amazing!  Believe he may now have a Face Book page, so take a look : )

#30 of 40 Old 07-06-2011, 12:15 PM

I just have to say that we just met with Dr Cowan today and he is AWFUL. He was totally not supportive of me still night nursing my 15 month old. He told me that it wasn't natural, that hunter and gatherers night wean their babies when they grow teeth and get them on to solid foods, that night nursing prevents language development, that night nursing is bad for your digestive system. I asked him how nursing at night is different than nursing in the day in regards to your stomach. He asked me how I'd like to eat while I slept. I said that I wouldn't really like to eat solid food while I slept... (uhh, waiting for you to make your point Dr Cowan) and then he told me I probably wouldn't really like it if he tube fed me liquid food down my throat while I slept. (???) I challenged him about his statement that hunter and gatherers wouldn't feed their babies on demand, and asked him why the WHO recommends nursing until age 2. He was like "The WHO...?" And he was just like "no, natural weaning occurs when their teeth come in." 

He was dismissive about my concerns about possible tooth enamel defect on my son's molar and he first told me that I was projecting it on to him and he didn't see it, and then he saw it and blamed in on the nursing (even though it's only on his 2 top molars in the back that only came in 2 months ago). I really hated him. I don't like to use that word, but I think we will be looking for someone else soon. He was truly horrible. I hope this prevents someone from seeing him who was considering it. 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page