New/Soon to be moms in Brooklyn? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-23-2008, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lets get together!

I'm due next month and have only recently slowed down enough to think about socializing my pregnant/mother self.

Thought we could all probably use some birds of a feather style company, empathy, and fun in the next few months, pre and post baby. You know, pregnancy, delivery talk. Sling, stroller talk. Good food, drinks. How to deal, how to retain some semblance of past self (coolness, professionalness, laissez faire lifestyle, etc), how to be/do even more amazing things as parents. You know, all that...

I'm thinking very low key-- coffee shop, park, somebody's house style. I'm just south of the slope... looking forward to hearing from you all--ideas and suggestions welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2008, 09:09 PM

we're south slope as well--windsor terrace! my little one is 10 months but i'd definitely be up for some like-minded socializing!
Old 09-24-2008, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Yay! It'll be great to know more people in the hood. Hoping we can get a few more peeps to get something of a group together.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:19 PM

Most of the neighborhoods in Brooklyn have terrific yahoo lists for your area and local moms and moms-to-be regularly organize get togethers through these lists. It is great to know people in walking distance, especially with winter babies. If you want a list of local yahoo groups, I'd be happy to give them to you are to cconnect you with moms in your area. My mom's groups saved my life with my first!

Congrats on your pregnancy and have a wonderful birth!

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:43 AM

I’m ‘souther’ of the Slope, sort of between Kensington/Midwood on Ocean Parkway. My first is due in April, and I don’t really know anyone here with babies.

bftoddler.gif

Old 09-25-2008, 04:06 PM

Cobble Hill here and I'd love to meet other moms. I'm due in about 5 weeks and don't know that many people here in the city. I'm also the first and only of my friends to be pregnant/have a baby so it's kind of isolating.

A bit off topic, but is anyone else doing the midwives benefit walk/run in Prospect Park on October 5th? Could be a great place to meet...

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

Old 09-25-2008, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

I didn't know about that. That's great. I'm actually pretty close to popping, so hopefully I'll make it that long/far. Looks like fun!

In the meantime... anyone up for "coffee" on Monday? I would do daytime, but early evening is good too... thoughts?
Old 09-25-2008, 10:33 PM

I'd meet up sometime. I have a 7 week old and live in the south slope. Good luck on the upcoming birth - I'm sure it will be amazing!

Baby wearing Mamma to DS, dealing with all his allergies....and thriving w/another little bundle due in Early Feb
Old 09-26-2008, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthcreature View Post
I didn't know about that. That's great. I'm actually pretty close to popping, so hopefully I'll make it that long/far. Looks like fun!

In the meantime... anyone up for "coffee" on Monday? I would do daytime, but early evening is good too... thoughts?
Daytime works best for me...

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

Old 09-26-2008, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

mrforbes--congrats on your new addition!

anyone else up for meeting daytime monday? i think it's supposed to be nice out...
Old 09-29-2008, 09:20 PM

I missed all these responses because my computer was out of commission over the weekend--hope people met up!

I'd love some recommendations for local Yahoo groups. I'm on PSP and have met a group of Fall '07 moms but if there are some attachment/natural parenting groups I'd definitely love to meet them too.

I'm free for meeting up most daytimes except Thursday afternoons.

Does anyone go to a La Leche League meeting in town?
Old 10-01-2008, 02:19 AM - Thread Starter

two of us managed to get together on monday, which was great!

as far as the near future goes, i'm sort of running out of chances to get together myself, but i don't want the thread to die out! it would be nice to have more people to meet as a group sometime soon, maybe friday?

otherwise i think i'm going to try and make it to the park on sunday for the midwives benefit walk that peainthepod mentioned, though i'll probably have my mother in tow...
Old 10-01-2008, 11:16 PM

Sorry I missed these updates! I'd love to get together. I'll be at the miles for midwives walk as well. We could try for a meet up next week or start an email chain for a more long term organized thing.

Baby wearing Mamma to DS, dealing with all his allergies....and thriving w/another little bundle due in Early Feb
Old 10-02-2008, 11:28 AM

Let's try for next week!
Old 10-03-2008, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter

i'm in for next week too! good times/days for everyone? mon, tues, and wedns are all good for me...
Old 10-03-2008, 03:59 PM

Monday afternoon, and all day Tuesday and Wednesday work for us.

Any ideas where? We could do the park if we had a specific meeting place or we could meet at a coffee shop or something.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:36 PM

I'm busy on Monday and Wednesday but Tuesday works for me. I like the coffee shop/park idea. We could get coffee near the park and take it to an outdoor table or something.

Old 10-04-2008, 08:19 PM

Tuesday works for me. What park enterance are you near?

Old 10-05-2008, 02:22 AM - Thread Starter

tuesday it is! pming....
Old 10-05-2008, 02:24 AM - Thread Starter

just realized probably should have switched to pming everyone...
Old 10-06-2008, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Hey everyone! meeting tomorrow(tues) afternoon for coffee and park. message me if you need details...
Old 10-06-2008, 10:30 PM

Hi everyone,
I've just started exploring these boards and saw this thread. I'm in Prospect Heights, near Flatbush, and am also looking for new moms to meet up with. I've posted a similar request on PSP and might get together with another mom this week. If anyone is interested in joining us somewhere near Flatbush, please respond here.
Thanks,
Jennifer
Old 10-20-2008, 01:42 PM

Just wanted to let everyone know there's a nursing toddlers (10 months and up) La Leche League meeting on Oct. 23rd on Prospect Park Southwest, if anyone wants to go, and a general meeting on Oct 29th in Windsor Terrace...
Old 11-19-2008, 01:29 PM

I'm interested! I'm near East NY not far from Flatbush - I'll PM too to see if anything is going on.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

For those of you who don't already know, Ike arrived October 9th! Thus my month and a half long hiatus from the boards. Finally getting a handle on things again... I want to see if we can have a meet up in the next week. Anyone in for this Friday or Monday afternoon?
Old 11-24-2008, 11:41 PM

Hi,
I am looking for a good pediatrician for a friend of mine. She lives in Brooklyn. Her baby is 1 month old and her current Dr is giving her a hard time about not vaxing.
she has medicaid for the baby.

Medium Sessions, Psychic Readings, Astrology Consultations and Mother Blessings www.magicalmoongarden.com
Old 11-25-2008, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

How about Tuesday the 2nd or Wednesday the 3rd? Anyone?

I'd also love to know of a good pediatrician that is no/slow vax cooperative.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:06 AM

congratulations! welcome baby ike! how is it going?

i'm in town this week and would be up for coffee/tea the 2nd or 3rd but am then heading out of town for a couple weeks.

let me know!

i'm also thinking about switching pediatricians because of vax'ing. i go to a practice with two doctors (or rather i've been once since we moved here, on a friend's recommendation) and supposedly one is more gentle/open and the other is more "no nonsense" and i've only seen the "no nonsense" doctor and am not a fan (after she told me i'd waited too long to train my daughter to sleep and i'd have to go home and let her cry it out as soon as possible : and made me feel irresponsible for not giving her the MMR at 12 months because I didn't realize there was a measles outbreak...)

if anyone has another recommendation, i'd love to hear it!
Old 11-30-2008, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Bummer about your pediatrician, it's such a mixed experience. You take your baby in because you want to take care of them, but care isn't always what you get. Our doc has been fine, but nothing more--pretty tow the line and out of touch.

But Ike is great! We are taking him to meet grandparents for the holidays. Challenges are stacking up with that, but it will be fun. And we're hoping to meet you all before next year!

So... lets do Wednesday afternoon. Can anyone else make it?
Old 11-30-2008, 09:14 PM

Awww... wish I was in Brooklyn.. sounds like fun, my baby boy just made 10 weeks.
BTW.. I am still looking for expectant moms who are open to me observing their births so I can become a certified child birth educator. Any help is greatly appreciated.

User Tag List