Special needs(behavioral) schools in NNJ?????? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-25-2008, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Mama's

Does anyone know of any special needs schools in the NNJ area that they could reccommend? My son is 12 and has behavioral issues (adhd, ODD, bi-polar symptoms). He was going to a alternative private school last year that he loved, but unfortunately his behavioral issues( not listening, following rules, some safety concerns-climbing the roof etc..) were getting in the way and he couldn't continue. So he is being home tutored for now, but was approved for out-of-district placement and although we do hope he can one day return to his old private school for now maybe it would be good for him to see what a good opportunity he was in by going to a out of district school for a year. Also I am nervous of putting him in a "behavioral" school for fear he will pick up "more" behavioral things. He's not into drugs, alchohol, and is "usually" pretty honest. So we will look at some schools that our district has suggested, but it would be nice if anyone had any others to personally suggest on here?
In the end if we don't like the school programs that are available then we will just go back to HS'ing (we did that the two years prior to the last year). Its just he really is social and wanted more kids around more frequently than HS'ing was providing.

thanx

RayRAy~

Life Learning Momma to DS17, DS16,DS9jumpers.gifas well a dog, a cat, two birds...ttc babygirl.gif homeschool.gifnamaste.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2008, 01:19 AM

I know that there is a school on the third floor of the school by Mt Carmel Church (the building is owned by the church, but they no longer run a school) in the center of Ridgewood. I don't really know much about the school itself, I just know of its existance since The Ridgewood Montessori School is on the first floor of the same building. I've never heard horrible yelling or anything coming from upstairs, and the students all look happy when the school buses come to pick them up.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
Old 09-26-2008, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepster View Post
I know that there is a school on the third floor of the school by Mt Carmel Church (the building is owned by the church, but they no longer run a school) in the center of Ridgewood. I don't really know much about the school itself, I just know of its existance since The Ridgewood Montessori School is on the first floor of the same building. I've never heard horrible yelling or anything coming from upstairs, and the students all look happy when the school buses come to pick them up.
We used to attend Mt. Carmel...I'll have to check it out.
thanx

Life Learning Momma to DS17, DS16,DS9jumpers.gifas well a dog, a cat, two birds...ttc babygirl.gif homeschool.gifnamaste.gif
Old 09-26-2008, 07:31 PM

Look into this school. It is on the list for non-public school placements in NYC, so i would guess it's also on NJ list since it is in NJ !

Community School, Inc.
11 W. Forest Avenue
Teaneck, NJ 07666
(201) 837-8070

User Tag List