Tell me about Reading Birth & Women's Center - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-02-2008, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Do they do regular gyn care as well (paps, etc.)? I just moved to Reading and was thinking of going there for my exams. I recently had my dd at Birthcare and LOVED it there and loved them, but it's about an hour from me now (versus 10 minutes to Reading's birth center) and with two kids in toe, it might be easier to just go here. Also, since I hope to have more kids, I'm still debating about whether I'd want to go to Birth Care again or just switch completely over to Reading birth center so if anyone has any experience giving birth at the center, I'd love to hear about that too. Thanks!
#2 of 7 Old 10-02-2008, 11:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Jenn Stevens and Robin Grant at RBWC are wonderful people and midwives. I trust them completely. Had two births there and know them as great women as well. Birth Care is hard to beat, but Reading Birth and Women's Care is a wonderful place too. They love homebirth and birth center moms who educate themselves and birth/parent the way they do. (they see a lot of low income inner city women who use the practice b/c of cost, as opposed to Birth Care who sees their population for other reasons, religion, etc.)

I have absolutely no problem giving them a full endorsement.
#3 of 7 Old 10-03-2008, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Thanks hipmamato4! I have a sneaking suspicion that I know you irl....

Anyway, do they do/allow water births there? With my last birth, my daughter just sort of flew out so I didn't even have a chance to get out of the tub even if they wanted me to!
#4 of 7 Old 10-03-2008, 04:22 AM

ok here is my only experience... I just moved to the area a couple of weeks ago. I started bleeding and not sure if I am having a m/c so I called and asked if I could be seen. it started out a nice conversation with her being very sweet to me. and she said she couldn't see me today. I asked (not hysterically or anything) if anyone else could see me and apprently she either misunderstood and thought i was hysterical (though I can't see why!!) or she was offended?? not sure...but she got really weird with me. said if wanted I could go to an ER bt they don't give a hoot about m/c and I'll be in the lobby for hours... and I said yes I understand but I meant anyone else there... and she still didn't get it and said "well I can't see you tomorrow and I know this is hard for you but you need ot realize it's not going to change anything what day Isee you, if you're having a m/c then it's going to happen regardles"

ok seriously, I am a third time mom and a doula and I worked in L&D for 3 yrs. I comprehend that!!! for goodness sakes, but I think all moms would atleast ask if someone else would see them... right? I didn't meant it weirdly. I tried to explain but it was too late. she was already convinced I was a hysterical nutcase or something *sigh*. not much you can say at that point you know? "I'm not nuts!!" doesn't usually go over well lol.

I said all that to say this... not once during the conversation did she *listen* to me. she was sweet, yes. ut she didn't actually hear anything I had to say. she would over talk me and try to calm me (but I wasn't hysterical!) and it was so patronizing.

I think she is probably a nice caring person. but perhaps needs to work on her listening skills though? all I know is it left a not so great impression so I'm not going with them. maybe it just wasn't meant to be. I hope you have better luck, I really do! and hopefullyit was just a silly miscommunication (even if it was at a very bad time).

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#5 of 7 Old 10-04-2008, 12:27 PM

RBWC does do waterbirths. They just got a birth pool (Birth Pool in a Box) and have it available for rent. The rooms at the BC are pretty small and there is no actual birth tub like at Birth Care, but they have had ladies that have birthed in the bathtub. You'll see from my previous posts re: RBWC and Birth Care that I prefer Birth Care, but also think that RBWC is a great option for moms around here when driving to Birth Care is not.

As far as the phone conversation with one of the midwives regarding miscarriage--sigh-- I think that those of us that are active in the birth community and know the midwives pretty well realize that bedside manner, tone of voice, etc, leaves some things to be desired from some of the care providers. We hear periodically how moms have been turned off (usually by phone conversations) but also by comments at visits too. I can take a guess as to who you talked to... and I sigh. Yes, it leaves something HUGE to be desired. I realize that. But I hope that you don't take it as indicative of the whole practice.

I have had two births at RBWC and doula-ed for several others. I have had a few times when I was really upset with things that were said or done at a birth--very very minor things that to most people would not even be noticed. But I also think that when those of us are in the "birth community" are pregnant we tend to be very particular about who we choose and then hold them to sometimes impossible standards. They are people too, with personalities and bad days and it sometimes shows. Believe me, I know exactly where you are coming from and I am NOT trying to justify or excuse inappropriate comments. I just know from my own experience how one very minor thing at my HBAC a few years ago made me seek care somewhere else, simply because I have been to numerous births and I KNOW good and sensitive care. It's hard for me to say that too, because over the years these wonderful women have become my friends (to some extent) when we have worked side by side at births.

I have had a couple of clients who were REALLY turned off by the midwives at Birth Care--to the point that one mom said she wouldn't have her baby with a certain midwife. I have heard similar comments about phone conversations at RBWC, and I have heard complaints about some of the local homebirth midwives bedside manner as well. I also know these women to try really hard to give moms the kind of birth experiences that they desire, to use good judgment, and to be very capable when put in a situation that requires quick action and decisiveness. I guess it is just really important to find someone who clicks with you. I hope that you both can find a midwife that does just that.
#6 of 7 Old 10-04-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipmamato4 View Post
. But I also think that when those of us are in the "birth community" are pregnant we tend to be very particular about who we choose and then hold them to sometimes impossible standards. They are people too, with personalities and bad days and it sometimes shows.
that is true... everyone has bad days.. well have bad moods, sleepless night etc... you are right. but as a long time doula and having worked in L&D for 3 yrs.. well... you learn to push that aside or shut your mouth and put on a warm smile. you simply CAN NOT take things out on a client. and if you feel you may you step away from them. believe i hold no other birth professional to any standard I don't first hold myself too. all of us have been at birth or in situations were our heart or mind just wasn't in it. so we fake it til we make it, or we fake it til someone else can take over.

that said, it's hard to communicate with people when they are busy. and it has been a thought that perhaps they are very busy place. when you are too busy as a birth professional you greatly risk your clients and their well being but grouping and generalizing and assuming - exactly what a midwife/doula should NOT do. otherwise it's not different than an OB. at all. I needed an sympathetic ear and some helpful info, not a generalization/assumption or label. I realize after my experience that MY personal needs just aren't in line with what they offer so I'm just not going to use them. no hard feelings. it's not like i hold a grudge, it's more that I just choose another path for what works for me.

(I'm UCing now. with all my experience, knowledge, and support I'm better off going it on my own )

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#7 of 7 Old 10-05-2008, 07:59 PM

I've never birthed there but Robin has been my midwife for my last 3 pregnancies (one of them being a m/c). She's been fantastic through all of them. I also went there for my first pregnancy but the midwife who delivered my son has retired. Everyone there has been helpful and supportive. If I get pregnant again and it's not twins, I'll go there again.
They do yearly exams too.

Lindsey- SAHM to Skylar (7-12-01), Leah (10-29-04), id twin boys Addison and Riley (6-17-08, born at 25w4d), and Terran (5-29-11, born at 28 weeks)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page