I love PA--Now with FRAPPR map-- please add yourself! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-04-2008, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was driving through the "Pennsylvania Wilds" today and looking at the leaves changing color and the farms and the hills, and I realized that I totally love my state. It's beautiful. We don't have terribly extreme whether. I mean, it's a little chilly, but so what. The food is good and comforting. We have so much natural beauty. I've lived here all my life, and I don't think I'd want to live anywhere else. I just want to make PA better (with real breastfeeding protection legislation and less homeschool regulation )

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2008, 11:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
what do you mean by "real breastfeeding protection legislation"?

(I just moved here... and yes it is pretty. not much different from Maryland where i grew up! =)

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

Old 10-04-2008, 11:09 PM

I love PA too. I miss it every day. I miss the food, and my family (food before family ) and my friends, and the scenery and activities.

And I never thought I'd say it, but I love North Dakota too. The food isn't good, it's not as beautiful (not in the same way), we don't have a vibrant colorful fall and winters are hell. But it's friendly and safe and it's been home for 9 years and I get a little sad when I think about moving away (someday). But I get sad thinking about living here forever too.

So, in short, I love PA too. It's a great state. I envy you.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatteras Gal View Post

So, in short, I love PA too. It's a great state. I envy you.

By "real breastfeeding legislation" I mean something with an enforcement clause. Right now, it really doesn't so much except say breastfeeding is good and people shouldn't interfere with it. But no one can do anything if someone decides to bug you.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 10-05-2008, 01:43 AM

Add "better midwifery laws" to that list, and I'll totally agree with you, though I think it is at least helpful that we don't have to register homeschooled students until age 8, so at least nobody's demanding heavy academics of kindergarteners. I've lived in several places in PA over the years, as has my DH, and we love it here. It's home. It was heartbreaking to leave it a few years ago because of DH's job, and when we got a chance to come back (albeit to a different spot, but one we liked even better), we jumped at it. We've found winter to be lovely (if a little cold a few years in a few spots, but it could be worse), summer to be pretty tolerable most of the time, and spring and fall are just little pieces of heaven. We love that there are so many beautiful and interesting state parks, forests, nature centers, etc., and they're free (at least as far as we've found, and we've visited many). It's a great place to raise a family. Oh, and raw milk being legal is fabulous, as well as all the other great food opportunities.

Mama to four: 10, 7, 3, and 1

Old 10-05-2008, 08:33 PM

I agree, it is getting goreous around here. The mountains are becoming all ablaze with colour. It's amazing to watch it. I miss NJ's homeschooling laws, but that is the only thing I miss (scratch that, I miss the lower gas prices too, lol).

Homebirth Midwifing mama to five blessings in Northeastern PA.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:21 AM

I love it here too!

Sahm mom to three lovely girls, and happily married to a great, sweet guy
Old 10-06-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post

By "real breastfeeding legislation" I mean something with an enforcement clause. Right now, it really doesn't so much except say breastfeeding is good and people shouldn't interfere with it. But no one can do anything if someone decides to bug you.
The law says that if you're breastfeeding in a place that you & your child are otherwise offered to be, you can't be interfered with. If someone is bugging you, all you have to say is, "The law says I have every right to be here." If they go any farther, they're the ones crossing the line and they can most assuredly be prosecuted for harassment. It could be better, but it could be worse.

I'm trying to start some alternative scouting groups in the Lancaster area. I think there's a need for them... we just need to get the word out, and I need someone else to hopefully step up and run them, because my life is insane. In any case, pop on over to that thread if you're in the Lancaster area or willing to drive that way.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
Old 10-06-2008, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

But there's no enforcement clause. They say "leave." You say "No." They call the cops and you get arrested for trespassing. Mamajake explains it much better than I can, but it's really a toothless law.

I'm in Williamsport. If I knew how to do a Frapper map thingie, it would be fun to see where in PA we all are.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:41 PM

I was born in Philadelphia and left when I was 13 but I still have family there. It is SO beautiful. I don't know if I can put my finger on how it is different from where I live now, which is also beautiful, but it really is.
If I had money (which I don't ) I would move my family to the Brandywine Valley region. My cousin is getting married next summer and we are staying at one of these cottages. I have already said that I will be chaining myself to the porch .
I want to extend the trip so that we can do Longwood Gardens and the Brandywine Museum.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:09 PM

I made a frappr map for us. http://platial.com/mapv/MDC+PA+tribe/506290#

Homebirth Midwifing mama to five blessings in Northeastern PA.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Jen, thank you so much! I'll adjust my title so we can maybe get more people to add themselves to the map.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:11 PM

I added myself! Great idea.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:16 PM

Quote:
But there's no enforcement clause. They say "leave." You say "No." They call the cops and you get arrested for trespassing.
If you're trespassing, then you're not legallly authorized to be where you are. You can't be arrested for trespassing because you're breastfeeding, you have to be somewhere where you and your baby aren't allowed to be in the first place for that to happen. In other words, if you know of someone who *was* authorized to be where they were and was told that they were trespassing, they have legal recourse. I'm not really getting the problem...

Old 10-06-2008, 11:17 PM

Quote:
But there's no enforcement clause. They say "leave." You say "No." They call the cops and you get arrested for trespassing. Mamajake explains it much better than I can, but it's really a toothless law.

I'm in Williamsport. If I knew how to do a Frapper map thingie, it would be fun to see where in PA we all are.

Never heard of a Frapper map but I put myself in.

You explained the law well Annette. Outside of Philadelphia (which has a city ordinance), there is nothing you can do under the current public breastfeeding law if it is violated.

A workplace pumping law would be good too. Plus the homeschool law is a major drag. And I would like to vote in a primary without joining a political party.

Love the vaccine exemption, though.

J.D. and mother to three. Sustainable Mothering and check out my Writing and Speaking
Follow me on Facebook and Twitter.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:27 PM

Can I join in the "I love PA" club too? Unfortunately, I am no longer there, but I have lived in Williamsport, Muncy, Mechanicsburg, Palmyra, Rexmont, and Elizabethtown. I miss it soo much!! Especially at this time of year. :
Old 10-06-2008, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post
If you're trespassing, then you're not legallly authorized to be where you are. You can't be arrested for trespassing because you're breastfeeding, you have to be somewhere where you and your baby aren't allowed to be in the first place for that to happen. In other words, if you know of someone who *was* authorized to be where they were and was told that they were trespassing, they have legal recourse. I'm not really getting the problem...
I'll ask mamajake to come and explain. She can probably do a better job than I can. But the law has no enforcement clause.

ETA: Here's a thread where she discusses it

ETAA: Cross-posted! Thanks, mamajake!

Old 10-07-2008, 05:18 PM

Thanks Annette.

I know it seems counter-intuitive and it hadn't even occurred to me how easy it is under property law to convert an "invitee" into a "trespasser" (simply withdraw authorization) until I watched these laws violated precisely this way in other parts of the country. Most people don't realize that the authorization to be in public accomodations, like malls and restaurants, can be withdrawn by the owner for any reason that does not violate another law (like the public accomodations sections of civil rights laws which prohibit discrimination on the basis of race). Long ago and far away I thought laws like this would work - after all why would owners work so hard to find ways around them? But they do work that hard. Owners know they can convert someone to a trespasser and order them out unless a law specifically says they can't.

J.D. and mother to three. Sustainable Mothering and check out my Writing and Speaking
Old 10-07-2008, 05:25 PM

hi there:
just another former PA resident chiming in (grew up in suburban PA (near Media) went to college in Indiana, lived in PGH for a bit, then left for NYC. Its been 12 years since I've lived there) but it truly is a beautiful state, take the drive in the mountains from Beford to Indiana and its really breath-taking- colors that rival (well almost) Vermont & such....

lady.gif Proud Mama of Lil "Big" Roc  banana.gifand Lil Roman superhero.gif 
Old 10-07-2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyhips26 View Post
hi there:
just another former PA resident chiming in (grew up in suburban PA (near Media) went to college in Indiana, lived in PGH for a bit, then left for NYC. Its been 12 years since I've lived there) but it truly is a beautiful state, take the drive in the mountains from Beford to Indiana and its really breath-taking- colors that rival (well almost) Vermont & such....
Maybe we should switch if you want to come back. I'm ready to live in NYC again (my home town). I've lived in PA since 1984, so I think it is probably time I stop calling myself a New Yorker.

I went to college in Vermont, btw, and don't let those postcards fool ya. Those colors only last like two weeks. Then it is just : : :

Old 10-07-2008, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajake View Post
Maybe we should switch if you want to come back. I'm ready to live in NYC again (my home town). I've lived in PA since 1984, so I think it is probably time I stop calling myself a New Yorker.

I went to college in Vermont, btw, and don't let those postcards fool ya. Those colors only last like two weeks. Then it is just : : :
Ha! That's so funny. I've only just started calling NYC my home...weird right?

lady.gif Proud Mama of Lil "Big" Roc  banana.gifand Lil Roman superhero.gif 
Old 10-07-2008, 07:24 PM

Quote:
My mom's lived in PA since 1982, and lived in Ohio for 13 years before that... and she's still a New Yorker. She's pretty sure that when she finally kicks the bucket, the obituary in the local paper will describe her as a New Yorker despite the fact that she hasn't set foot in Brooklyn in nearly 20 years and hasn't lived there for most of her life now.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:36 PM

What a cool map I added myself too!

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post
My mom's lived in PA since 1982, and lived in Ohio for 13 years before that... and she's still a New Yorker. She's pretty sure that when she finally kicks the bucket, the obituary in the local paper will describe her as a New Yorker despite the fact that she hasn't set foot in Brooklyn in nearly 20 years and hasn't lived there for most of her life now.
Clearly a woman after my heart. I still think of myself as living in the diaspora. Some day, I will return.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

I'm going to keep bumping until someone puts a map pin closer to me.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Clearly a woman after my heart. I still think of myself as living in the diaspora. Some day, I will return.
i've been out of the city for fourteen years, but when people ask where i'm from, i still answer new york, of course.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:11 PM

Quote:
I'm going to keep bumping until someone puts a map pin closer to me.
Well heavens Annette, you do live far! Maybe you need to move a bit closer to Philly.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

We're going to be there at the zoo next Friday. Maybe I can move my map pin for the day...

Old 10-08-2008, 09:58 PM

I put my name instead of my MDC username. I am truly a dummy today...now I can't figure out how to fix it.

Already!?!?! cold.gif  ~ Lori, doula, childbirth educator, wife to Jermaine 6/04, and mom to two happy and energetic boys - Tatum 6/06 and Keegan 3/09

Old 10-08-2008, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2tatum View Post
I put my name instead of my MDC username. I am truly a dummy today...now I can't figure out how to fix it.
haha I just did the same thing and I have no clue how to fix it!

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

User Tag List