Vit K/Eye Ointment waivers in NYC? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-08-2008, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, I have not seen an actual written "law" or anything written anywhere but I know that Vit. K and the eye ointment are required if you give birth in a hospital in NYC or they will call CPS on you. RIght now we are looking into some way around it - DH & I do not want either of these (although we might accept the oral K). but see no way to get a waiver or anything - I have some time (we are in the 2ww right now) but want to get started (I am a total planner - we have already done the tours and will most likely be trying to deliver at the SLR birth center since a HB is not an option) I would appreciate ANY and all help/thoughts/suggestions/resources etc.

Erica
DD September 2010, m/c October 2009
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2008, 08:46 PM

It's my understanding that NY is one of the few states where it is actually mandated by law that it be given. http://nyvic.org/nyvic/law/vitamin-k.htm

Homebirth Midwifing mama to five blessings in Northeastern PA.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:57 PM

I never found a way around it. I believe you can have them do all of that after you've had time to bond, and it can be done with them in your arms.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:33 PM

Unfortunately homebirth really is the only way to totally get around it. My friend gave birth in Manhattan 2 years ago and was in your shoes -- we looked and looked for the loophole. As others have said, you can delay it until after the bonding period, and if you or DH wipe the ointment away right away after it's administered, they can't really stop you.

mama to Joey (1/04) and Teddy (4/08) :
Old 10-08-2008, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the link...
This is truly upsetting - first of all - I am allergic to erythromycin which is the eye goop, so I certainly don't want it even before all of the other reasons!! There needs to be some way. That law says you can't even give the oral K!! There has to be a way to get out of this...how dare the state dictate what I do with my child! GRRRRR - I am so angry!!

Erica
Old 10-08-2008, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeriecurls View Post
Thank you for the link...
This is truly upsetting - first of all - I am allergic to erythromycin which is the eye goop, so I certainly don't want it even before all of the other reasons!! There needs to be some way. That law says you can't even give the oral K!! There has to be a way to get out of this...how dare the state dictate what I do with my child! GRRRRR - I am so angry!!

I feel your pain. This was one of the first issues that led me to look into homebirth. I never found another way around these procedures.

''''

Old 10-08-2008, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrodjm View Post

I feel your pain. This was one of the first issues that led me to look into homebirth. I never found another way around these procedures.
We would need a new home first, but it is back in discussion again and we are talking about my mom's house upstate as a possibility.

I saw that you teach children with autism - me too! I work in Early Intervention & Preschool right now - what about you?

Erica
Old 10-14-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeriecurls View Post
how dare the state dictate what I do with my child! GRRRRR - I am so angry!!
Be aware that this is only the beginning. If you raise your children in NYS, you're going to be fighting for their/your rights for a looonnnnnnggggg time. Put on that mama armor and never let your guard down!

Do you know that you can no longer opt out of the vaccine registry in NYS? Even if you choose not to vaccinate, that is noted in the registry.

I find it really frustrating that Vit K and eye goo are specifically EXEMPTED from exemption law in NYS.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
Old 10-15-2008, 04:21 PM

I feel for you too, faeriecurls. We had our first in CT (which at the time I thought was not a very progressive state), but NY is insane. We ended up having a homebirth as well because it was the only way to have control. Of course I don't know your living situation, but it might be easier than you think to have a homebirth. I was all about the idea of homebirth but concerned about keeping my apartment clean, feeling too crowded, feeling distracted by piles of mail or dishes needing to be done, etc. Boy was I way off! Once labor started, I could have been sitting in the sink of dishes and not noticed them! Anyway, I'm sure you'll make the decision that's right for you, and I wish you all the best with it.

Our challenge now is figuring out how to selectively (and secretly) vax our 3-yr-old but also get a religious exemption for vaxing.

Oy!!!
Old 10-15-2008, 08:57 PM

You will not get around either at SLR in my experience. You can wash the ointment away immediately but they will administer it.

I have no idea what the living situation is that prohibits your homebirth, but you are welcome to call or email me to chat about it. I've attended births is all sorts of living situations. I know a lot of the homebirth midwives and I know one who will make other arrangements that could get around your living situation issue. If the housing situation is the only issue, I think you might be able to get around it. Feel free to contact me to chat about it.

Good luck.

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

User Tag List