Pennsylvanians Check Your Voter Registration - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-14-2008, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There have been a record number of new voter registrations in PA this year and with that has come a record number of errors and incorrect registration rejections. While the voter registration deadline for the upcoming election has passed in PA, you have until 10/20 to correct any error in your application. Apparently if you have not received either a voter registration card or a letter concerning a rejection of your application by now, you should definitely check your voter status. You can do this on-line at https://www.pavoterservices.state.pa...ionStatus.aspx

I highly recommend it. I had changed my registration when I changed my driver's license after my last move (within PA). At primary time, I called the county voter services office and was told that I did not show up in the computer as registered, either under my own name or under my husband's (which I knew I had registered under once ten years ago). It was then too late to register for the primary. So I made sure to register in time for the upcoming election. I checked my status at the above link just now only to discover that I am NOT listed as registered. I then checked myself using my husband's last name and I show up as registered at my current address and in a party I left long ago. Since my county voting commission closes at 4:15 <grrr> I am just storming around at the prospect that I may have to go through this gruesome process of trying to correct this. I have no identification with my "married name" and never received a voter registration card. I have never been asked for a voter registration card in PA (in the 20 years I have lived here) but word on the street is that they may be asking for them this year or at least picture ID, which I don't have with that name.

Moral of the story, PA seems to be botching voter registration so hit the above link and make sure the information the state has is correct.

J.D. and mother to three. Sustainable Mothering and check out my Writing and Speaking
Follow me on Facebook and Twitter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2008, 09:01 PM

thank you so much for this post!!!!
i just checked my name and i'm supposedly not registered. (???!!!!) we just moved back instate a few months ago and i thought i took care of this with my new PA driver's license. guess not. i checked my husband and he's all set. what's up with that? guess i'll have to get on this.
thanks again for the important update )
Old 10-14-2008, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama-lo View Post
thank you so much for this post!!!!
i just checked my name and i'm supposedly not registered. (???!!!!) we just moved back instate a few months ago and i thought i took care of this with my new PA driver's license. guess not. i checked my husband and he's all set. what's up with that? guess i'll have to get on this.
thanks again for the important update )
Definitely spread the word! I thought I was all set doing the change via my driver's license as well but it didn't happen. Clearly PENNDOT can not be trusted with this. Then when I sent in a fresh registration, somehow that didn't take - maybe because my first name and birthday where already registered? Who knows but all corrections have to be made by the 20th and I got a post today saying that 35,000 mail-in registrations were "rejected" in PA. It is a big mess.

If you don't have a voter registration card, definitely double check to be sure you are registered.

J.D. and mother to three. Sustainable Mothering and check out my Writing and Speaking
Old 10-14-2008, 11:26 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I think there's a political forum somewhere on MDC - you might want to cross post this there.

Thanks for the heads up - I'm off to look for me!

Sus

I checked - I'm there - yeah! So is DH & my dad (he lives w/ us). Thanks!

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:00 AM

Ah! It didn't recognize me. I've been in this same address for 6 years; I voted at the previous presidential election (plus a few elections in between) without any troubles. DH was recognized as registered, but not me. : I'll be calling my the county contact info tomorrow, I guess. Argh.

Thanks for posting this.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

As a bit of an update, I just got off the phone with a very nice woman at the Montgomery County Voters Services office in Norristown. She said that the registration changes done by PENNDOT (when you change your drivers license) have NOT been working consistently. Also she said they are very backed up inputting the new voter registrations so lots of people who registered in the past month have not been changed in the system yet but she says they will be by the date of the election. However, it seems unlikely that everyone will get a voter registration card by the election. So she took my info and said she would call me if there was trouble finding my new registration and is sending me a voter registration card with my old name so I feel confident that I can vote.

So the bad news is the same - PA is flooded with processing registrations and there are tons of mistakes - particularly with people who relied on PENNDOT to make the changes. Good news is that, at least in Montgomery County, they are very cooperative about making sure you are able to vote.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I just moved in June and supposed changed my registration through penndot. I just checked and all my info is still at my old address, under my maiden name. Who do I call now to correct the info?
Old 10-15-2008, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by callieollie View Post
I just moved in June and supposed changed my registration through penndot. I just checked and all my info is still at my old address, under my maiden name. Who do I call now to correct the info?
I am having trouble finding the link but I read in an official FAQ that after you move you can legally vote at your previous polling place one time. It is probably too late to modify your registration to correct your information in time for this election, though I would call your county office to be sure. If you are within driving distance of your former polling place, you can go there to vote once after moving.

Apparently, if you don't have the receipt PENNDOT gave you (I don't even remember getting one) there isn't going to be any way of proving they screwed up.

HTH.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I know I didn't get a receipt. I did it online. And I don't remember getting anything online. I COULD drive to my previous place but it's an hour away and I have a 6-month-old (who HATES the car) and a 2-year-old and driving for 2 hours to vote for a few minutes just doesn't sound appealing to me! I did call, though, and I was told that I could still send in an absentee ballot so I guess I'm doing that. So annoying!

User Tag List