Bronx Zoo questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-14-2008, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Planning an excursion to the zoo...
Most likely will go on a weekend. How packed is it?
Also, does it pay to get the all-inclusive ticket? DD is 4 years old and wants to do everything available!
I see that the hours will be changing soon. Is it better to wait until spring?
Thanks!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 10-14-2008, 10:11 PM

Avoid Wednesdays and Weekends!!! The crowds are insane. Wednesdays are the "free" days, although they still ask for a donation. Of course, that's optional.

Your best bet would be to go on a Week-day.

http://www.bronxzoo.com/
#3 of 7 Old 10-15-2008, 10:35 AM

I'd wait and go in the spring ... some of the exhibits are closed at this time of year. We've been several times, and we LOVE the Bronx Zoo! I've been on Friday and Saturday ... it's crowded, but not so much that it's difficult to get around. You won't be able to see the whole place in one day, esp with a 4-yo (it's a ton of walking, be sure to bring a stroller!), so it's best to make a plan in advance. Do not miss the gorilla exhibit - IMO it's the absolute best thing in the whole zoo. We always spend the most time there, the gorillas are mesmerizing. We also never miss the House of Darkness. We bring our own lunches to save the cost of buying food there - we save our $$$ for their wonderful gift shop instead.

The Bronz Zoo rocks! Have fun!

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#4 of 7 Old 10-15-2008, 02:21 PM

I don't think there is a bad time of year to go. My son is not even 2 and we go all the time. The all inclusive ticket is definitely worth it. My son's favorite is the children's zoo but he does enjoy everything. I hope you enjoy everything too!
#5 of 7 Old 10-15-2008, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiemomNYC View Post
I don't think there is a bad time of year to go. My son is not even 2 and we go all the time. The all inclusive ticket is definitely worth it. My son's favorite is the children's zoo but he does enjoy everything. I hope you enjoy everything too!
This time of year is mellower then spring.
I have to agree veggiemom, never a bad time to go. If it's not packed with families it's packed with school groups during the week.

I highly recommend the Central Park Zoo. It is the same type of contemporary humane nature style, and so manageable and interesting, rarely crowed during the week in the fall.
#6 of 7 Old 10-15-2008, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We actually went last weekend, and it was very, very busy (the weather was perfect)--but we still had a great time.

Look at the list of extra attractions before deciding whether to get the pay-one-price ticket; we've skipped it before because we didn't want to do most of them.

If you go more than twice a year, get a membership--it gives you free entry, attractions (16 passes for regular, unlimited for premium), and 4 parking passes. It's good for all the zoos and the aquarium.

I recommend bringing your lunch--the zoo's food isn't great and the lines can be really long.

Everything is open till the end of the month--some exhibits close Nov-March. No need to wait to see the outdoor parts as long as you go before the 31st.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#7 of 7 Old 10-20-2008, 02:10 AM

If there's any possibility of going on a weekday instead, I'd do that. Weekends are mobbed until the weather really cools down. We live very close, are members, and go at least once a week, usually a weekday (excluding Wednesdays). My son requested to go today (Sunday), and it was too crowded to park. Normally, we'd head to the Botanical Gardens a few blocks over, but they were also super-busy due to the Kiku Chrysanthemum exhibit (very beautiful and worth seeing). Our favorite time to go to the zoo is actually on a snowy weekday in the dead of winter--it's quiet, beautiful, and the animals (especially the tigers) are VERY active!

If you can't make it on a weekday, try to get there as soon as the zoo opens on whichever weekend day you pick. First thing Sunday morning would probably be best (I think even on Sundays, they open at 10 a.m.)

I wouldn't try to do everything in one trip--there are so many interesting exhibits, you could easily exhaust yourselves by rushing through to see all them. I'd advise to pick a few of the best (Congo Gorilla Forest, Madagascar, Tiger Mountain, and World of Darkness are our favorites) and just really take your time to enjoy them. Oh, and don't forget the children's zoo--our three-year old loves it.

Look on your zoo map to find out when the feedings and enrichment sessions take place. The tiger enrichments are usually three times a day, at 11:30, 1:30, and 3:30--really worth seeing, but get there early, as it gets packed with people. Also fun are the sea lion feeding at the renovated sea lion pool and the bee eater feeding in the World of Birds.

Oh--I almost forgot the Bug Carousel--really cute and fun! My son has become great pals with Josephine, who runs it on weekdays.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other specific questions, and please let us know how you liked it!

Susan--SAHM/Freelancer, wife to Neil;  nonvaxing, CLW, cloth-diapering, homeschooling Mom to Benjamin, 5, and baby Daniel, born via VBAC!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page