PA homeschooling requirements... quick question about religious exemptions! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-17-2008, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
is there a religious exemption to the requred doc/dental exams?

I can't seem to find a clear answer... but I really am against unnessecary doc/dental visits. it's against how we believe deeply. but do I need some kinda of proof or is my word good enough? I don't know how I could "prove" this kind of thing...

I see vax are easier to exempt from so I've got that handled.

these are both religious issues for us, I'm not just one of those people using it as an excuse... so I really do need some kinda answer.

TIA!

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#2 of 7 Old 10-17-2008, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I know on askpauline.com she has a form you can fill out for a religious exemption to the exams for homeschoolers.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#3 of 7 Old 10-18-2008, 02:56 AM - Thread Starter

ok thank you =)

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#4 of 7 Old 10-21-2008, 04:53 PM

i altered my waiver a bit to say that i objected to *reporting* medical/dental/vax reccords. no one seemed to question it, they gave the sheet a funny look, but didn't bother to mention it.
#5 of 7 Old 10-22-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_trillium View Post
i altered my waiver a bit to say that i objected to *reporting* medical/dental/vax reccords. no one seemed to question it, they gave the sheet a funny look, but didn't bother to mention it.

I would be a bit careful on this. You don't need to produce or submit medical records (some SDs have tried to require the records themselves - they can't). The objection that is available is to the examinations taking place. I don't think that if you have the examinations that you can object to reporting that the exams have taken place. Given a recent court ruling denying a right to object to complying with the PA hs'ing affidavit/portfolio requirement, submitting a form objecting to reporting could get you into trouble unnecessarily.

J.D. and mother to three. Sustainable Mothering and check out my Writing and Speaking
Follow me on Facebook and Twitter.
#6 of 7 Old 10-25-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajake View Post
I would be a bit careful on this. You don't need to produce or submit medical records (some SDs have tried to require the records themselves - they can't). The objection that is available is to the examinations taking place. I don't think that if you have the examinations that you can object to reporting that the exams have taken place. Given a recent court ruling denying a right to object to complying with the PA hs'ing affidavit/portfolio requirement, submitting a form objecting to reporting could get you into trouble unnecessarily.

if they do say something i will dig up the reccords i have. i hadn't read anything about that court ruling. we do see the dr. and dentist, but not "on schedule". i wasn't sure i could do a straight out exemption because we do see them, you know? but i didn't have the visits in the time frame they wanted. i saw somewhere that you could refuse to report? maybe that was faulty info. i was sort of rushed to get paperwork in this year being busy with a new little one, so i didn't look into it too much.
#7 of 7 Old 10-27-2008, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_trillium View Post
if they do say something i will dig up the reccords i have. i hadn't read anything about that court ruling. we do see the dr. and dentist, but not "on schedule". i wasn't sure i could do a straight out exemption because we do see them, you know? but i didn't have the visits in the time frame they wanted. i saw somewhere that you could refuse to report? maybe that was faulty info. i was sort of rushed to get paperwork in this year being busy with a new little one, so i didn't look into it too much.
I may not be understanding what you mean by "report." The only time you need to say anything to the SD concerning medical or dental treatment is when you file your affidavit on August 1st (or when you first begin homeschooling). I highly recommend checking with askpauline for the portion of the state law on this - I think this: http://home.comcast.net/~askpauline/...l#whattosubmit helps a lot.

Fwiw, I have never had a SD want more from me than a form indicating a yearly physical though I have heard of SDs asking for medical records (to which they are not entitled - hence the clarification from the PDE that Pauline has at her site). I've never been asked for medical records or for any evidence of dental, hearing, or vision.

Here http://home.comcast.net/~askpauline/...tml#exemptions and here http://www.pde.state.pa.us/home_educ...&Q=56276#RELIG is the exemption info - only a religious exemption for medical exams or treatment.

As for the recent legal decision concerning PA's homeschool law, here is a link: http://www.ca3.uscourts.gov/opinarch/063090p.pdf My understanding is that this decision is being appealed but I can't give you any more info though this concerns only certain religious homeschoolers.

Hope that helps.

J.D. and mother to three. Sustainable Mothering and check out my Writing and Speaking
Follow me on Facebook and Twitter.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page