New Holistic Moms chapter in Collingswood/Cherry Hill - launching in Feb '09! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 10-17-2008, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey mamas,
Would anyone be interested in joining and/or helping start a Holistic Moms Network chapter in the Collingswood/Cherry Hill area?

I recently joined the Tri-County(Burlington/Camden/Gloucester) group, and am LOVING it:, but I have been hearing from various people a desire for a group that meets more centrally to northern Camden County. I would love to hear if you would like to join a group like this.

I'm also looking for a co-leader or two who'd like to get this off the ground with me. I don't think it's a lot of work for a fairly organized person, but I think it's prudent to share the responsibilities. PM me so we can talk if you're interested!

Heres' the main Holistic Moms website if it's new to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 30 Old 10-17-2008, 08:04 PM

Hey Virginia!

I am insanely busy (english teacher... so many papers to grade), so I can't take on a leadership role. But, I'd be interested in coming to meetings. I'm in Merchantville, not too far from the Cherry Hill mall.

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#3 of 30 Old 10-17-2008, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Stacey! I was hoping you'd post to this - it's great to know that you'd be interested in becoming a member!

I should say for those who don't know that after two meetings, Holistic Moms asks that you become a member, which is $45 a year. There are some "scholarships" available, and I'd also like to see out some local company support for those who can't afford that. Some of the money goes to the national group and some comes back to the local group, which gets to decide how to use the funds. (The Tri-County group recently used some of theirs to fully fund a group camping trip so that no one had to pay to come, for example.)
#4 of 30 Old 10-21-2008, 03:25 PM

Hi there,
I would be interested in joining if there was a chapter in Cherry Hill. The current chapter is a bit far for me, I'm in Burlington County and work up in the Trenton area, so I have hesitated to come to the south jersey meetings. I know there's also a chapter in Mercer County but I think their meetings are held on days when I'm not working- so too far once again! Anyway, Cherry Hill would be very do-able and I'd be interested! Let me know what happens.

Miriam
#5 of 30 Old 10-21-2008, 03:59 PM

Hi Virginia! I'd be interested. I'm in Philly, but it would probably be easier and faster for me to get to Collingswood than where the Philly HM chapter meets. Plus I work in Camden County, so I'm over there a lot already anyway.

modern-mama to DS (5.16.05) and DD (9.11.08) and one more (GIRL!) coming in December
#6 of 30 Old 10-21-2008, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Miriam and moderngal,
That's great to know you're interested! And it confirms my suspicion that some people would like to get to the HMN meetings in Gloucester but that it just feels too far. And I'd hope that there would be some folks in Philly who are close to the river that would feel NJ isn't that far (when I lived in Philly I thought it was the MOON - had no idea how close and convenient it was...)
So hurray!
Anyone else?
#7 of 30 Old 10-21-2008, 06:53 PM

i just joined the tri-counties chapter, too, and i'm on collingswood!
#8 of 30 Old 10-21-2008, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyhorne View Post
i just joined the tri-counties chapter, too, and i'm on collingswood!
Audrey, have you been to a meeting yet? I didn't know there was anyone else from Collingswood - and hello, neighbor!!
#9 of 30 Old 10-23-2008, 10:51 AM

Virginia,
How many people would you need to form another chapter? I checked the schedule for the tri-county group and remembered the other reason I haven't gone- Wednesdays I work late so it would be impossible to make it all the way from the Trenton area down to Pitman. So if there was a chapter closer I would definitely try to make it!
#10 of 30 Old 10-23-2008, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

I think the official number is something like 5 paid memberships - so it does seem doable! And for those of us who like being members of both, we would of course stagger the meeting days. I'd even like to have the meetings run a tiny bit earlier, say 6-8 or 6:30 - 8:30, vs. 7-9 - not sure what others think of that, but that's my vote anyway
#11 of 30 Old 10-23-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batsoup View Post
say 6-8 or 6:30 - 8:30, vs. 7-9
That works for me. I'm a teacher, so 9 is almost my bedtime!

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#12 of 30 Old 10-24-2008, 12:39 PM

6-8 is perfect for me, too... I could swing over right from work.
Virginia PM me if you want help getting things going. I'm on maternity leave now, so I have extra time these days.
*Natalie

modern-mama to DS (5.16.05) and DD (9.11.08) and one more (GIRL!) coming in December
#13 of 30 Old 10-24-2008, 03:27 PM

I can do 6-8 or 6:30-8:30 but it depends on the night as I work late Wednesday and Thursday nights.
#14 of 30 Old 10-25-2008, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

It's exciting to have a few folks interested! And to hear that folks are interested in an earlier meeting time - I'm about DONE by 9, so that's great!

Natalie, I'm PMing you - thanks!

And Tracy, I PMd you too!
#15 of 30 Old 10-26-2008, 08:50 AM

I'm a member of the tri-county chapter and have been for a while (I used to live in Glassboro) - I'm pretty entrenched in that group and not likely to switch, even though I now live in Haddonfield. :-) For a while I've thought that I'd love to see the tri-county chapter include more events in the Camden County area...

But if a new chapter started, while I probably wouldn't change my affiliation, I would *definitely* attend any meetings/events that I could, and I'd help how I could as well!

-Katy
#16 of 30 Old 11-03-2008, 12:52 PM

I'm interested but I'd like to check it out first. I tend to overcommit myself quite often so I want to know what I'm getting into before I take on another activity!
Please let me know!
#17 of 30 Old 11-03-2008, 01:06 PM

I should add that I occasionally host "Handwork night" (knitting, spinning, crocheting, needlework, munchies, conversation) for the Gloucester County chapter at my home in Haddonfield - and I am happy to post an announcement here if you all would like.

I haven't held one in a while, but hopefully sometime in November I will. They are in the evenings, often on a Friday.

-Katy
#18 of 30 Old 11-03-2008, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Glad you're interested, Ginny, and Katy, the handwork night sounds awesome!! Would love to come sometime. It would be fun to do some things like that with both chapters together -- that's my hope, anyway...

I am sending in my official forms to HMN today, so it's gonna happen!

Any thoughts about a name? They usually go for county names, which are terribly boring, but...
Is there a name for these towns collectively other than Camden County?

Camden County Holistic Moms?
West Jersey/East Philadelphia Holistic Moms?
#19 of 30 Old 11-09-2008, 12:54 AM

I don't know about a good name for the group...but I'm looking forward to it starting. Hopefully it will be at a time I can attend! And Katy, the handwork night sounds nice....but I don't knit or spin. Is there some other alternative for us "crunchier" moms? Like a crunchy moms night out? I'd like to find something like that. If anyone has ideas...let me know.
#20 of 30 Old 11-09-2008, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Well, still waiting on the official stuff, but here's what I know so far, assuming HMN national accepts me as a chapter leader:

West Jersey/East Philadelphia Chapter
First Tuesday of the month, 6-8pm, Collingswood Public Library
Launching in January!!

and I think it would be great to plan some mom's night out kind of things - i'm going to one today from the Tri-County group and think it will be nice...
#21 of 30 Old 11-09-2008, 01:26 PM

Yay, that is good news! Have you thought about setting up a Yahoo group or some other email communication thingamabob, so that people not on MDC can get announcements and updates? The GlouCo group uses Yahoo, and it seems to work well.

-Katy
#22 of 30 Old 11-09-2008, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, Katy, a Yahoo group is an automatic component of the HMN chapter, as well as a dedicated website for the chapter. So we'll have the Yahoo email loop for members, and a website that can be shared with anyone.

I've just been using MDC as a way to test the waters, and I'll continue posting here just to keep folks in the loop...

Once we're "official" then I'll even ask folks here to share the info with their contact lists so we can REALLY spread the word far and wide...

Yay!
#23 of 30 Old 11-10-2008, 12:50 AM

I'm really excited!!
Great name, Virginia. I think it fits your goal well.

I definitely want to plan some moms night outs and could host a moms night in, too.

#24 of 30 Old 11-10-2008, 11:16 AM

oh, i am so excited about this. i haven't been able to make any events with the tri-counties chapter yet, but i can walk to the library in colls! i have several friends who would love to join a local group, since pittman can feel like the moon sometimes. please keep us posted here on mdc, and i'll definitely see you in january!
#25 of 30 Old 11-11-2008, 03:14 PM

Me too, I'm excited. Thanks for scheduling it for a Tuesday night. Collingswood is way closer than Pitman.
I guess we have to wait to schedule the moms night out until after the meeting? Anyhow I'm looking forward to it!
#26 of 30 Old 11-11-2008, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

sure! i figured if someone interested couldn't make Wed or Thurs, now's the time, right? (that was you, right? )

Plus, I tried to schedule it so that if folks wanted to go to Tri-County HMN on 2nd Wed, that wouldn't cramp their style, you know?
#27 of 30 Old 11-14-2008, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

We are one step closer - I have my "leadership interview" on Monday with Holistic Moms' Executive Director!

And there has been some interest from folks on the Collingswood parent email loop, which is great!
#28 of 30 Old 11-22-2008, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to keep everyone updated...

I had my interview last week, and it went well. It looks like the leadership process takes a little time (1-2 months), so I think it's more realistic to launch the new chapter in February.

So, save the date: Tuesday February 3, 2009 6-8 p.m. for our Open House!
#29 of 30 Old 11-24-2008, 10:51 PM

yay! glad it went well.

#30 of 30 Old 01-13-2009, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Hi folks! Just wanted to post an update.

The West Jersey/Philadelphia Chapter of Holistic Moms Network will be launching with an Open House on:

Tuesday, March 3, 2009
6-8pm
Collingswood Library
771 Haddon Avenue, Collingswood, NJ 08108

We will continue meeting monthly on the First Tuesday of each month at this location and time.

If you are interested in helping to build this community, send me an email! Or if you know someone who you think would like to know about this - let me know, and I'll contact them (potential member, speaker, sponsor - whatever!)
hmnwestjersey at gmail dot com

If you join as a HMN member in January, you save $5.
Here's the info.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page