Pediatric Dentist near Philly/Main Line - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-17-2008, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone,
I hope it is ok to post this. I turn to mothering.com often for advice and support, but I rarely post on the forums. I need some help from some like minded mamas. My 20 month old daughter has cavities on her 4 front teeth. Today a dentist told me she should stop nursing right away. Because she is too small for sedation I have to go back in 3 months for another check, at that time they will either fill the cavities under oral sedation or consider general anesthesia. I do not want her in a hospital under general anesthesia for this. As far as oral sedation goes- the dentist didn't know which drugs they would use when I asked, which seems very odd to me, and she said I can't be in the room during the procedure. I feel very uncomfortable about all of this and would love any recommendations anyone might have for AP friendly/crunchy dentists anywhere around Philadelphia or the western suburbs. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2008, 11:03 PM

i don't have specific recs for you, but don't do anything that sounds wrong to you! I know there is a holistic dentist somewhere on the main line - maybe try contacting the folks at Ohm Chiropractic - the holistic moms group meets there, and they might have the name.

Also, I've heard a lot about re-mineralization of baby teeth - that would be something to check into, maybe on the food and healing forums. good luck!
Old 10-18-2008, 12:03 PM

If Devon/King of Prussia isn't too far from you we love our ped dentist.

Dr. Robert Raymond is who we see. He's at Devon Dental (610) 687-0990. We see the regular dentists there for ourselves.

We are very happy.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
After trying a couple other places, I took my ds to Dr Robin Harshaw, Senior in Bryn Mawr. He didn't give me flack for not using fluoride. Nursing didn't come up because ds was 3. He had a good chair side manner and made my picky, highly sensitive ds comfortable. We tried getting the work done with the oral sedative, first. Unfortunately, it was extremely bitter tasting although it was mixed in juice. They did want me to stay in the waiting room which I was nervous about because ds NEVER separated from me at that age. But he didn't protest going with the dental assistant (the sedative was kicking in).

Dr Harshaw filled the biggest cavity first but didn't push ds to try to get all the work done when he started fussing, just finished the one filling. He was going to try to get all the cavities in that quadrant of the mouth done in that visit. After that, we decided ds wasn't a good candidate for "conscious sedation" and got the rest of the work done under GA at Bryn Mawr Hospital. I know that isn't the experience you hope for but I felt Dr Harshaw did a good job of balancing the emotional needs of the child with getting the work done. Also, he doesn't use amalgam fillings. I would trust that he would adopt a wait and keep an eye on things approach for younger children, whenever possible, to give them a chance to mature more and make it easier on them to have the work done. Certainly, he would be a good person to get a second opinion from.

The pediatric dentist I tried before Dr Harshaw wanted to use amalgam fillings and put ds in a papoose. He assured me not to worry about the crying and gave me a lecture about sugar

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
Old 10-24-2008, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your replies. I had no idea there was a whole dental board here in health and healing- I have been reading over there a lot. The problem is there is lots of conflicting information. Anyway, I'm considering trying Dr. Harshaw. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

User Tag List