OB, CNM, and doula recommendations for State College, PA - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 10-21-2008, 02:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello, my little sister lives in State College and is about 5 months pregnant with her first baby. She currently has an OB who sounds very unkind and she's not very comfortable with him at all. She would like to birth in a hospital though.

Can any of you recommend an OB practice or CNM practice for that area? I kinda insisted that she change OB's and told her I would giver her some info. Also, doula recommendations would be great too!

Thanks!

hang.gif  

#2 of 2 Old 10-21-2008, 06:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I used to live in State College and you'd think it would be more natural birth friendly than it is (I guess that is what happens when the only hospital in town doesn't have competition). That said, I think the best place to find reliable information on good docs would be the local doulas. There are some. Go to the DONA website at www.dona.org and use their search function to find a list of doulas (birth and/or postpartum could give good referrals) near/in State College.

And have your sister (she may be doing this already) read so she is well-informed and can make her own educated choices. I recommend The Birth Partner by Penny Simkin, The Complete Book of Pregnancy & Childbirth by Shiela Kitzinger, The Birth Book by Dr. Sears and The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth by Henci Goer. She can find any of these on Amazon or at a book store....

Best Wishes!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page