Religious exemption to vaccinations in New York State - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-21-2008, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Moms,
I'm looking for some guidance in writing a statement of religious exemptions to vaccinations. I'd love to hear from someone in New York State who has had success. Thanks!

Liza
#2 of 7 Old 10-23-2008, 02:08 PM

Use the NYSED Request for Exemption to Immunizations form.

Keep your statement of beliefs simple, brief, and to the point. (It's easy, b/c they only give you a couple of lines!) Do NOT mention faith/denomination specifics or quote Scripture. Do NOT copy any statements off the internet, use your own words. And above all, state that you are opposed to the practice of immunization. DO NOT specify certain vaccines or ingredients - this is considered philosophical objection and disallowed in NYS.

Lots of NYers on this board, including myself, have successfully obtained religious exemptions for their children. There are many NYS exemption threads in the Vaccinations forum. The ones who've had trouble often had their kids in private schools - only public schools and daycares/schools that receive state/federal funding are required by law to accept exemptions.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#3 of 7 Old 10-23-2008, 04:10 PM

I have had success in a Catholic School and I live in your general area. I followed the guidelines Spero gave you to the tee. Good luck!

Doula, Wife and mom to A (11/23/01) and O (5/7/09)
#4 of 7 Old 10-23-2008, 11:09 PM

I got my daughter a religious exemption at a Catholic school this year, with no problems at all. The school nurse at the other Catholic school we were looking at said they legally *had* take exemptions because they do receive some gov't money. (Maybe the milk/lunch programs?)

Am I the only one who thought the list of questions sounded like something from a high school Regents exam essay question?
#5 of 7 Old 10-24-2008, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmysticprincessx View Post
Am I the only one who thought the list of questions sounded like something from a high school Regents exam essay question?
What list of questions? There are no questions on the NYSED form.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#6 of 7 Old 10-24-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spero View Post
What list of questions? There are no questions on the NYSED form.
In the area provided below, please write your statement. The statement must address all of the following elements:
• Explain in your own words why you are requesting this religious exemption.
• Describe the religious principles that guide your objection to immunization.
• Indicate whether you are opposed to all immunizations, and if not, the religious basis that prohibits particular immunizations.
#7 of 7 Old 10-24-2008, 02:13 PM

Oh, I see.

It makes me so freaking angry, how they intentionally try to trip people up with that last bit.

Quote:
Indicate whether you are opposed to all immunizations, and if not, the religious basis that prohibits particular immunizations.
So many parents don't realize that "religious objection" cannot be claimed against certain vaccines only - and yet that one statement makes it appear that you can, unless you already know the law. I wonder how many parents have had their exemption denied b/c of that.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page