Mothering Forum banner

NYCers: talk to me about the apartment hunt

569 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  nabigus 
#1 ·
I have to move out of student housing sometime in the next 6 months, and am starting the hunt for an affordable 2-bedroom to rent. We're looking in Jackson Heights, Queens (where dh works, pretty easy commute for me).

We're trying to do this without a broker, and we're trying to stay under or near $1500/month. We're in a 1-bedroom now with ds, who is 3, but he's going to outgrow his toddler bed soon. We'd consider a 1-bedroom that was unusually large, had basement storage, etc.

So not to be dense, but where else should I look besides Craigslist?? The only thing we have going for us is flexibility around move-in date and time to do some legwork. We've walked around and taken down the numbers of management companies, but a lot of the buildings seem to be coops. Tips? Hints? Is this even possible??

#3 ·
Have you tried looking in some local stores such as pizzerias? Some stores have bulletin boards where people can post all sorts of stuff including apartments for rent. Also asking around in the local stores might get you some clues. Also check the local newspapers. I know in other parts of Queens, available apartments are all by word of mouth. Good luck!

#4 ·
I honestly don't think it is possible but good luck anyway. I live in Jackson Heights in an unglamorous coop. Although, we own, there are renters in my building paying at least $1800 a month for a 2 bedroom apartment. But...I also live in the part of Jackson Heights near Woodside. Where in Jackson Heights are you looking?

#5 ·
You might also try having a broker show you around. Many work only on fees from the owners and not on fees from the renter, so you could still get a no-fee place and get some help. Talking to a broker about your price range and location might give you some ideas about how possible this is and what they would recommend in terms of where to look.

Good luck!

#7 ·
use this link
http://www.nyc.gov/html/hpd/html/pr/violation.shtml

on the right hand side is an area to enter in addresses. i HIGHLY suggest you use it. we cross referenced against this site when looking last year and found places that had multiple violations, roach infestations, mice, rats and..bedbugs *shudder*

someone has to complain in order to get a location on there, but it's worth checking out.

#8 ·
Hey Nancy! Long time no see!
I live in LIC/Astoria so very close to Jackson Heights. I think in our area in Queens is the best to find an apartment with word of mouth. I would recommend to join all the Astoria and Jackson Heights parent groups and ask around there. There is always somebody moving away and they usually post on the groups.

#9 ·
Super helpful, thanks all! (And hi back at you, Bianca!

So more questions:

Anyone know of the parent listserves in that area? I'm already on the Jackson Heights yahoo group. Any others I should know about?

Has anyone tried the online listing services that are supposed to give you access to the same apartment info that brokers get (the ones that charge a 1-time fee or monthly fee, usually around $60)? They sound like a scam, but maybe I'm just cynical.

Thanks! I have a feeling this could be a long and drawn-out proces...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.