NYC Schools: Anything other than traditional? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 10-30-2008, 01:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are there nontraditional/alternative schools in Manhattan, within the public framework? I have a kid that would be going into 4th grade. I guess private schools too, if they offered financial aid or were not crazy-expensive-40K-per-year. By alternative, I mean project-based, inquiry-focused, schools where they're calling teachers by their first names. And not a lot of homework or overfocus on tests.

We're considering a move. But this is REALLY important to us.
#2 of 2 Old 10-30-2008, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes we have plenty.
I'm really into progressive education my daughter attend only progressive schools, she is now in college, so things have changed over the years.

In the NYC public school system they now all have to all jump through the mandatory state testing hoop (and "leave no child behind" crap). It has changed the way progressive public schools can function. But most still try hard.

The handful of progressive public schools around are very difficult to get into, high demand!

Public schools:
Manhattan School for Children k-8 (west 93rd street)
Central Park East (East Harlem)
East village community school
Earth School (East village)
Children's workshop school (east village)

Private school can live easily by their philosophical progressive principles.
They all give financial aid. You do not have to be broke to get aid.
The Manhattan Country School had a policy that parents pay what they can afford, parents decide on what they can pay, it is a very affordable percentage according to what they earn. Brilliant way to make private school available to many families!

In Manhattan look at these private school.

Bank Street School (created this philosophy of child centered classroom)
Calhoun School
Little Red/Elizabeth Irwin school
Manhattan Country School
City and Country school
Rudolf Steiner School (is a Waldorf school, interesting educational pov, too teacher directed in lower grades for some parents.)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page