Good downtown NYC or Jersey City midwife? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 10-31-2008, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I tried to search the history for this but didn't see anything that fit. Hope this is not too redundant!

I live in Jersey City NJ. I cannot use NYC's CBS Midwives (they don't take my insurance) and I also can't do Fort Lee NJ's midwives (can't think of the name) - they deliver at Palisade b/c of my insurance too.

Donna Roosa at Avalon (delivering at Morristown) will take my insurance but her participating doctors will NOT. Which means that, God forbid, if something awful happens I'm on the line for thousands of dollars.

I do want to be at a hospital as I like the idea

My insurance does cover Susan Shannon (who delivers at NYU downtown hosp) and Christine Obremski who is in Newark but delivers in NYC.

Thanks so much for any suggestions/reccomendations!!!

(we're not PG yet, but hopeful!

Me (40) DH (49) daring DD (9) and darling DS - almost THREE! (born June 25, 2010 in an amazing, unplanned homebirth.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 10-31-2008, 01:50 PM

Have you tried calling Risa Lynn Klein,CNM she does water births at Holly Name hospital in Teaneck. Risa works with Dr Andrew Garber.
It's worth the call to see if they take your insurance.
Risa Lynn Klein, CNM
(973) 614-1171
(973) 790-1171
(201) 358-3444

Same with Lonnie Morris,CNM she delivers at Pascack Valley hospital , She also has a fantastic reputation.
201 567-0810
#3 of 12 Old 10-31-2008, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Dewi, just checked her and no she's not covered.

Me (40) DH (49) daring DD (9) and darling DS - almost THREE! (born June 25, 2010 in an amazing, unplanned homebirth.jpg

#4 of 12 Old 10-31-2008, 05:44 PM

Collectively we can help find you some midwifes at a hospital!
What insurance do you have.
I can post a request on my professional NYC doula group.

Are you open to giving birth at Roosevelt hosp on west 59th Street.
An old doula friend who became a midwife Delivers there.
Christiane McColosky,CM
646-530-3514

Maureen Rayson, CNM
delivers at St Vincents on west 12th street in Manhattan
646-230-7708
#5 of 12 Old 10-31-2008, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, Dewi! That's where I want to birth! After posting I spent about 2 hours trolling MDC, comparing names with my insurance, which is GHI.

And it looks like Christiane McColosky is covered - so that's a really good thing!!

I'm going to check out one other duo of midwives, Sandy Woods and Coralie Macqueen. Their office is MUCH closer to me (and they got good reviews here on MDC) so that might be worth it.

I'm also going to check out Maureen Rayson b/c that's even closer - but I do really like the idea of the birthing center at SLR.

Thanks so much for your help!!! I'm still open to anyone who might deliver in NJ - say Mountainside in Montclair or Palisade in North Bergen.

Thanks again!

#6 of 12 Old 11-01-2008, 02:44 PM

Did you talk to Lonnie's office (she's the midwife in Fort Lee, no longer at Pascack as the pp said)? She delivers at Palisades. She's out of network for me, but is willing to accept what my insurance company pays as payment in full (except for my deductible, of course).

This is the thing that's really getting me about finding a midwife...not only are there so few who deliver in the hospital (which is really more in my comfort zone as well), but practically none of them take insurance!

Beware with the SLR birthing center...they have a long list of things that kick you straight to L&D (age, post-date, etc). As long as you're prepared for that, you should be fine.
#7 of 12 Old 11-03-2008, 12:22 AM

It looks like you have a lot of other options now so don't know if this is still relevant, but you did mention above a midwife at NYU and I would just steer you away from that hospital if possible.

My sis was a nurse in their maternity ward for over a year. It seems the maternity ward is *trying* to be baby-friendly and they have pretty good breastfeeding support, but the facility is extremely poor - overcrowded at all times, sometimes they can't even fit all the moms into the mat ward for postpartum and they overflow into regular hospital floors. Almost all the rooms are semi-private too - so while they encourage rooming in with baby, as a practical matter that's very challenging. You're sharing the space so your DH can't stay overnight to help, and there's barely space the bassinets to fit in the rooms.

Also, from what my sis could gather about hospital policies next door in L&D its not exactly conducive to normal birth. The head anesthesiologist at NYU wrote a really obnoxious book recently that denigrated women who try to delay or skip the epidural. Most moms end up with labor augmented with pit. Even if you don't, the policy is for you to get 2 full IV bags of pitocin after the birth as a preventative measure againtst bleeding - whether you need it or not - and regardless of what all that extra fluid is going to do to the body.

I hope one of these other options work out for you! I did birth with Lonnie's group when they were at their previous hospital (now its Palisades) and would recommend them, if you can work something out that makes sense financially with them accepting out of network insurance payments.
#8 of 12 Old 11-03-2008, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganmarie View Post
It looks like you have a lot of other options now so don't know if this is still relevant, but you did mention above a midwife at NYU and I would just steer you away from that hospital if possible. .
NYU Downtown the hosp she mentioned,(used to be know as Beekman Hosp) is not the same as NYU main campus on 34th street and first ave. Sounds like your sister worked on the main campus,from what you are describing.

NYU Downtown is actually not that bad within the context of giving birth at a hospital.
#9 of 12 Old 11-04-2008, 05:33 PM

Yes, I was talking about 34th st - Sorry did not realize there were two!!
#10 of 12 Old 11-05-2008, 08:04 PM

Hey there-

I am actually using Lonnie now and only have great things to say about her practice. To use her, all you have to say to your insurance is that you want a water birth= I now have an IN NETWORK exemption! ( i have blue cross blue shield) but it worked and I am covered like a typical in network patient. IF you are still looking, I would try that. i would also stay away from SLR due to their crazy list of rules when you come in!!!

Good luck!

Mom to Akiva 12/7/08
#11 of 12 Old 11-05-2008, 11:46 PM

She is great!!!! I had my baby at home in August delivered by her and she is an exceptional midwife! You can check out her website: gentlespiritbirth.com
Best wishes!
#12 of 12 Old 11-06-2008, 09:41 PM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page