Northern NJ Midwife Questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-13-2008, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, we're currently TTC and we're fairly new to the area so I've been trying to research midwives. So far I haven't been able to come up with much. We're near Rockaway and I'd love any suggestions/information you can give me. The more details the better because I had entirely different experiences (both good) with my last two midwives. I'm interested in how they conduct prenatals, what kinds of testing/ultrasounds they recommend, how hands on they are, how comfortable they made you feel, how they conduct postnatals etc. Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2008, 08:56 PM

Well, Judy Hagan the homebirth midwife is in Rockaway. She is great.

Morristown Hospital has two practices of midwives - Avalon and OneToOne. I used Tina Alessi from OneToOne.

Hackettstown hospital also has midwives, they are often on A Baby Story.

Do you want a homebirth or a hospital birth?

Mummy to two,  vbac.gif winner.jpgsigncirc1.gif
Old 11-14-2008, 01:31 AM

DH and I are TTC and just met with Lisa from Hackettstown Midwives. She was great. There are three midwives at the practice and they deliver at Hackettstown Hospital where every room has a tub for water birth. I've read a lot of great things about the midwives and the hospital here. We are going to use them when we get pregnant.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:51 AM

How far north are you? I highly recommend Jessica Lawlor, who's up in Sussex County.

Jessica has an office in her home, and all appointments (minus a few at the very end) were there. The office is very peaceful and child friendly. Her own toddler occasionally comes in to help, which is really cute. Jessica is very open to doing what her clients need to do. I switched to Jessica from the Hackettstown Midwives midway through my pregnancy, so I had already had an ultrasound. If I had already been with Jessica at that point, it would have been up to me whther I wanted one, after counseling on the risks and benefits. She has to do a GD test for her back-up doctor, but everything else is optional. I chose to do a GBS test, which she does encourage (but doesn't push) and she gave me some advice on making sure the test came out negative. She has an assistant who attends prenatals, but you choose whether you want her there.

At each appointment I weighed myself and tested my own urine. She does blood pressure, pulse, and later uses a fetoscope to listen to the baby (or a doppler, at times, if you're ok with that. During labor she stayed with me the whole time, and was a great doula in addition to being a great midwife. Unfortunately I had a very unusual labor, and at hour 44 I decided to transfer. This wasn't a decision made lightly. She had searched her books for ways to help me, and even called several other midwives. In the end she helped me be sure it was the decision I wanted to make, and when my husband drove me to the hospital, Jessica went with me, and stayed until after my son was born so she could help me start feeding him.

There's no doubt in my mind that I will be calling Jessica whenever we decide to have our second, and trying again for a home birth with her.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:22 PM

I know a couple women who have had great experiences with Marla Scott in Denville ("Midwives of Denville" although she practices with doctors now). One friend used her but had a (without a doubt) medically necessary c-section. Marla was with her the whole time and took awesome pictures. I wish the terrible midwife I used for my first birth had done that for me - it would have made such a difference with how I remembered my birth experience.

Proud mommy 9/2004 ribboncesarean.gif , 11/2007 vbac.gif, 2/2011 ribboncesarean.gif
ICAN of New Jersey --> find 2010 NJ hospital birth stats here!

Old 11-14-2008, 03:39 PM

I second Jessica. She was very hands-off and respected my wishes in everything. She also respected my ability to research and make my own decisions. I never felt talked down to or pressured about anything. At prenatals we talked about whatever was on my mind and stressing me, not just pregnancy and birth stuff. DD loved playing with her kids. I had a rough time the first few weeks, just with the adjustment and family stuff, and she went above and beyond the call of duty. :
Old 11-14-2008, 09:37 PM

I was w/ The Childbirth Center (now in Fort Lee, delivering out of Palisades in North Bergen) for my first. I am now w/ Avalon Midwives in West Caldwell delivering at Morristown. My story is long and drawn out but in general I was happy w/ Childbirth Center and have been happy so far w/ Avalon. I have another week till EDD and am trying for VBAC- they have been very supportive so far.

GL,
Brenda
Old 11-16-2008, 10:16 PM

I dont know how close Teaneck is to where you are in NJ... but I am in NY and I traveled to NY for her... she is that great! Plus, she makes home visits towards the end of your pregnancy.
Check out her website: www.gentlespiritbirth.com
Old 11-20-2008, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlm194 View Post
I know a couple women who have had great experiences with Marla Scott in Denville ("Midwives of Denville" although she practices with doctors now). One friend used her but had a (without a doubt) medically necessary c-section. Marla was with her the whole time and took awesome pictures. I wish the terrible midwife I used for my first birth had done that for me - it would have made such a difference with how I remembered my birth experience.
I want to throw my vote in for Marla Scott, also. My experiences with her have been nothing but wonderful, and I don't know anyone who hasn't been happy with her care. The doctors she works with are awesome, and very supportive of her care and style. Definitely worth talking with her. The office # is 973-627-1400. Good luck!
Old 11-20-2008, 04:04 PM

I also know Jessica, and she's wonderful.

I personally used Avalon midwives and delievered at Morristown. Wonderful experience. Joanne Yates is my favorite and she delivered by son.
They're CNMs so it's all covered by insurance if you have it. That was a big plus for us. Good luck!
Old 11-29-2008, 11:32 AM

Hi!

In NJ midwives can work either at home or in the hospital. Some do both. Some of us that are home birth midwives are CPM's which means our training is specific to home birth. If you have questions, please feel free to call me. I can understand how overwhelming it can be trying to figure out what you want!

My number is 908-575-3282

Dina Aurichio
Old 12-02-2008, 02:22 PM

I can attest to Dina's awesomeness having just had an awesome homebirth with her :
Old 12-03-2008, 12:55 PM

Hi,

I am a homebirth midwife living in Rockaway. Feel free to contact me. You can also check out my web site for lots of good info on having a great birth.

Judy Hagan CNM
Old 12-05-2008, 11:25 AM

I don't know if you have located a midwife yet, but I am using the Childbirth and Women's Wellness Center in Fort Lee (Lonnie Morris is the midwife). I haven't had my baby yet (EDD is next week!) so I can't yet comment on the birthing experience, however, I have been very pleased with the pre-natal experience. The office is homey and friendly but has facilities for doing pretty much all of the prenatal tests, like ultrasounds, gestational diabetes screening, etc.

This is my first baby so I can't compare Lonnie to other midwives, however, she has about 30 years experience delivering babies. Also, the Childbirth Center has a couple of well-recommended ob-gyns as back-up and a collaborative perinatologist.

We just visited Palisades Medical Center, where the births take place. It is a small hospital that seems very progressive. The c-section rate for the entire hospital is 7% and the hospital itself has a policy of rooming-in and doesn't put babies in a nursery (unless it is medically necessary).
Old 12-06-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckyfriedgirl View Post

We just visited Palisades Medical Center, where the births take place. It is a small hospital that seems very progressive. The c-section rate for the entire hospital is 7% and the hospital itself has a policy of rooming-in and doesn't put babies in a nursery (unless it is medically necessary).

How I wish!!!! The c-section rate at Palisades was 29% in 2006. It was 32.8% in 2007.

Last time I heard Lonnie Morris speak, I thought she said her personal c-section rate was around 9% but maybe it's just 7% and that's the number you were quoted.

Proud mommy 9/2004 ribboncesarean.gif , 11/2007 vbac.gif, 2/2011 ribboncesarean.gif
ICAN of New Jersey --> find 2010 NJ hospital birth stats here!

Old 12-29-2008, 08:42 PM

I used Marla for my first birth, and was not happy with my experience at all. I think she would be fine for a birth where everything went according to plan, but when things started to get a little crazy (baby's heart rate fluctuating), she seemed to be bullied by the hospital staff. I ended up with a huge episiotomy and forceps, with nothing but a local shot beforehand. I was left both physically and emotionally traumatized for months. I'm not saying Marla's a bad midwife, but she seems severely limited by the hospital where she delivers (and I wasn't aware of that ahead of time). FWIW, the baby's head was turned, but I was forced onto my back which, I later found out, is the absolute worst position when a baby is turned.

User Tag List