"holistic" dentist recommendation in Boston? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 11-19-2008, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our family just moved to Boston and we'll be needing dental services as my husband and I are pretty good about getting our teeth cleaned every six months. My husband is somewhat of a dental phobe though so we need someone 'gentle' . I would really appreciate anybody recommending a dentist that they like who prefers not to use fluoride and is mercury free in the Boston area.

Thanks!
Cindy

Crunchy city momma to DS Adler (7/4/07) and VBAC success with DD Darby (10/31/09)
#2 of 28 Old 11-19-2008, 02:53 PM

Dr. Yolin is a great holistic dentist in Brookline. Here is his webpage: http://www.dryolin.com/

Linz- Mama to DS Jack (6/08) and baby #2 due 7/25/2010
#3 of 28 Old 11-20-2008, 09:56 PM

edited: oh crap, I didn't realize there were concerns with negative reviews, sorry! I just wouldn't recommend Dr Yolen.

I don't have a good holistic rec that I have tried myself, but I have been seeing Belmont Dental and they are a no-mercury office (but they do use flouride).

Michelle: obsessed crafter, Buddhist Yogini, college student, and unschooling mom of two awesome daughters 12 and 6
#4 of 28 Old 11-21-2008, 12:47 PM

hxcmama- I'm going to be honest, I just made an appointment w/ Dr. Yolin because I had a friend that had nothing but great things to say about him and told me I should see him. May I ask why you wouldn't reccomend him? I'm just wondering because I've heard nothing but good things but I would like to know before I go if there is a reason he is not reccomended. Thanks! I didn't read your post before you edited but I'm not sure what you mean by concern with negative reviews.

Linz- Mama to DS Jack (6/08) and baby #2 due 7/25/2010
#5 of 28 Old 11-21-2008, 09:42 PM

As soon as I posted m y negative review, I looked over in the Children's Hospital thread and saw that a mod had posted a note about negative reviews, asking that users message each other instead. I will send you a private message with my original post.

Michelle: obsessed crafter, Buddhist Yogini, college student, and unschooling mom of two awesome daughters 12 and 6
#6 of 28 Old 02-24-2009, 11:29 AM

Hxcmama,
I am also looking for a good holistic- mercury free dentist in New England and have had very little luck.
I am in Maine. I was going to call Dr. Yolin as well, so I would appreciate any info you could give me.
Thanks so much.
#7 of 28 Old 02-24-2009, 02:41 PM

There's the Groton Dental Wellness Spa in Groton, MA. I've never been but have heard reviews in both positive and negative directions. Same with Yolin. I saw him for a period of time but didn't find he met my particular needs. However, others have liked him.
#8 of 28 Old 02-25-2009, 03:39 PM

Barefootamy,
Thanks so much for your reply.
I have had quite a history of not so good dental encounters.
I have been to Groton Dental but am still on the fence...
Mainly I am looking for an honest competent dentist who will remove my mercury fillings safely, before I get pregnant.
Would you trust Dr. Yolin for that?
#9 of 28 Old 02-25-2009, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

I recently called Dr. Yolin's office to inquire about general cleaning and exams. The office assistant informed me that Dr. Yolin does a general seminar with all prospective patients (or you can do an individual consult) first before he will schedule an exam. I was skeptical about this 'seminar' before an actual exam, but I went anyway to find out what he had to say. It was helpful to understand his philosophy, what and how he practices dentistry, and he answers specific dental health issues that people have and what he would do about them. He is also direct about what he will not do in his practice. (He is mercury free and anti-fluoride in his practice)

I haven't been to an actual exam yet with him so I can't speak for his technique or 'bedside manner', but I thought his seminar was helpful to get some background info about him and I imagine it is helpful for people that aren't sure what 'holistic dentistry' is about.

Crunchy city momma to DS Adler (7/4/07) and VBAC success with DD Darby (10/31/09)
#10 of 28 Old 02-25-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortolan View Post
Barefootamy,
Thanks so much for your reply.
I have had quite a history of not so good dental encounters.
I have been to Groton Dental but am still on the fence...
Mainly I am looking for an honest competent dentist who will remove my mercury fillings safely, before I get pregnant.
Would you trust Dr. Yolin for that?
I don't think that is his specialty (mercury/amalgam removal). His office is mercury free but a dentist needs a special setup for mercury removal (vacuum boot for the patient's mouth and all).
#11 of 28 Old 03-11-2009, 04:14 PM

After trying Groton Dental, I am definitely ready to give Dr. Yolin a call.
I would love to know any info or experience that you have had with him. I have already spent quite a lot of time and money trying to find a good dentist.
I completely understand that you can't share any negative experience here.
I am new to this message board, so I don't know how to send you a private message???
#12 of 28 Old 03-12-2009, 11:49 AM

If you click on the user's name on the left of the post, a drop down menu gives you the option of sending a private message. At least that's how it works on my computer. I'll send you one.
#13 of 28 Old 03-12-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hxcmama View Post
As soon as I posted m y negative review, I looked over in the Children's Hospital thread and saw that a mod had posted a note about negative reviews, asking that users message each other instead. I will send you a private message with my original post.
Hi--

I'm pretty new here, and unclear on the rules about "negative" reviews-- can someone help me out?

It seems hearing about all aspects of other's experiences, both positive and negative, is helpful. Opinions are always YMMV, too.

I'm asking because I've been a patient of GDW and had mixed experiences, but want to follow board guidelines before posting.

just wondering, dhmama
#14 of 28 Old 08-20-2009, 12:33 PM

Dr. Yolin was the best dentist I've ever had...he was great....unfortunately he passed away in July of this year. He was kind, considerate, knowledgeable, considerate, holistic...a very gentle man...
#15 of 28 Old 08-20-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELSOL102 View Post
Dr. Yolin was the best dentist I've ever had...he was great....unfortunately he passed away in July of this year. He was kind, considerate, knowledgeable, considerate, holistic...a very gentle man...
Oh, that's sad. Thanks for sharing, I still referred clients to him so I'll make a mental note on this.
#16 of 28 Old 08-20-2009, 02:37 PM

I found Dr. Yolin after a negative experience at Groton Dental Spa.
I felt I had finally found a dentist I could trust. I planned to have my mercury fillings removed this fall... of course that is not going to happen. His death was certainly a shock.
Has anyone been to Dr. David Brown in Westborough?
In fact does anyone have any suggestions for a holistic mercury free dentist in Maine, N.H., Vermont or anywhere in Massachusetts. I am in Maine and do not mind traveling for someone who is competent and honest.
#17 of 28 Old 08-22-2009, 03:21 PM

We use Dr. Alan Budd...he is on Boylston Street Boston...he is wonderful and gentle. He removed all of my mercury fillings a few years ago. I think it's called Back Bay Smiles... www.dralanbudd.com
#18 of 28 Old 12-07-2010, 01:17 PM

Dr. Yolin passed away last year, he was great.  Do not go to a Holistic Dentist called Dr. Satloff in Attleboro,  he has a bad attitude and makes up problems that you don't have, lost my x-rays and billed me after he told me charges were covered! 

#19 of 28 Old 12-12-2010, 07:57 PM

Try here:

http://www.iaomt.org/patients/search.aspx

Good luck!

#20 of 28 Old 05-06-2011, 09:28 AM

hi- just joined mothering...

I am also concerned about finding the right dentist for amalgam removal in Boston area.  can anyone help.  i did a consult at Groton Wellness and am also on the fence.  Any help appreciated!

#21 of 28 Old 07-11-2011, 11:11 AM

Dr. Jeffrey Corbett was recommended to me by an Osteopath from Maine and my children ages 7 and 9 are very happy with him.  His approach is very low key yet he has amazing knowledge about working with palate expanders, and ensuring airways are open and there is room for the tongue to ensure proper nose breathing.  The office staff is wonderful.  Contact is North Shore Smiles, Lynnfield, MA, 781-592-9779.  northshoresmiles.com

Good  luck!

#22 of 28 Old 08-08-2012, 08:30 AM

My family has been using Dr Robert Burton for the past 20+ years and are very happy. He's removed the mercury from myself & my spouse, and our kids have never had any. He does use flouride, but in every other way very holistic. The listing below says he's still in Newton, , but he just moved to 56 Kearney rd, Needham 02494. phone 617 332-1234

http://www.healthgrades.com/dentist/dr-robert-burton-2yfj7

#23 of 28 Old 01-24-2013, 02:17 PM

I believe Groton Wellness just hired a pediatric dentist...might be worth a new look.

They are the only ones in the area who use the complete protection protocol to remove mercury safely.  Found them directly through Huggin's who invented it.

#24 of 28 Old 08-09-2013, 01:32 PM

hi,  your post was 4 years ago!!, but if you are still a member, can you PM me in 24 hours (I just joined) and tell me why you didn't like Groton Wellness?  I see they had a lawsuit and were on probation but are now past that.  The patient didn't seek them out for mercury removal...  I am wondering how patients seeking mercury removal feel about them.

thanks!

#25 of 28 Old 08-09-2013, 01:34 PM

I was asking Hxcmama specifically, but am interested in anyone's reply...

thanks

#26 of 28 Old 08-28-2013, 07:40 AM

Could anyone who considered using but didn't use the Groton dentists please send me a personal message with the nature of your reservations?  Or anyone who did go there and would recommend them?   I really need some mercury amalgams removed and don't know where to go...

#27 of 28 Old 11-08-2013, 08:12 AM

The best dentist in New England is Dr. David Satloff. Website is www.biologicdentist.com.

I did try Yolin for awhile, but I left that practice. Sorry to hear that he passed away, though.

I have been a patient of Dr. Satloff's for several years and have been extremely impressed with the treatment I get there. He has three offices--two in southern MA and one in RI.

He has also completed medical school, although he doesn't intend to do a residency to get the MD degree.

I have never seen such sophisticated non-invasive dentistry as I've found at this practice. Very highly recommended!

#28 of 28 Old 08-08-2014, 09:25 PM

mercury-free dentist

I highly recommend West Roxbury Smiles located in West Roxbury, MA. They specialize in mercury-free pediatric dentistry and holistic functional orthodontics. They use the most biocompatible materials that are BPA-free and they don't push fluoride. They are also very reasonably priced and accept most major insurances.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page