Mothering Forum banner

december 08 ri ap playgroup

3K views 96 replies 14 participants last post by  lovermont 
#1 ·
woah.....december.......crazy!

so sonja's on thursday?

#5 ·
hey! as much as i'd like to be there, i think we're out for the next couple of weeks. my mom is going home for a month and a half on the 15th, and i feel like i need to use the time that she's here to get as much work done as possible.

while she's away (and i am without childcare), i'm taking something of a vacation from school, etc., so will hopefully catch up with you guys then.

have fun!

#7 ·
So...dp is in NYC tomorrow (again
) and that made me realize I have the car and can come! We are not early birds so we might be "late" but we can come!

I can make some no yeast bread (simply b/c I don't have any yeast) and bring that and my 4 children. I have warned Jojo many times that I *think* they are too wild for playgroup..but she says it's okay even tho she knows how they are! So I apologize ahead of time if they make you crazy and we can all tell Jojo told you so! :nana:
Just kidding, of course. I am nervous about them attending..if we are too much, let us know.

Sorry I am going to miss you Angela. Hopefully we will meet up one day soon! Thanks again for the PP stuff, you are very kind

I look forward to finally meeting the rest of you and Jojo can you PM me the directions, please?? thank you

#9 ·
OMG, I'm sooooo torn!!!! Ethan got sick last night, blackberries all over his bed
Then around 5 AM he got sick again but, this morning he feels fine and no fever. Regular little rambuncious boy. What to do, what to do. We really want to come!!!

#10 ·
I was all confused about why people weren't talking in the old thread about today... then I realized...

Anyway- subbing today but we're coming Monday! I miss everyone.

#11 ·
we miss you too sarah!

thanks for hosting today sonja! the soup was delicious! i also would LOVE the recipe for those bar cookies with the almonds on top, if you care to share.....

and it was so good to finally meet you leslie! after hearing people talk about lemonjuice for a while it was good to see the real person!

#12 ·
I'm so glad we got to go today! I am really glad we did
It was great to meet all of you and put a face to the screen name
Thank you all for making me feel so welcomed!

Sonja, thanks for opening your home to us and allowing us into your lives. We had a lot of fun and the kids really enjoyed it. The food was great and the company was even better.

Hopefully we can make it again soon and maybe after our babe arrives we can have you all come over here!

#13 ·
Thanks for coming everyone. I love sharing lunch.
And my kids got tired out. What more do I need out of a day?

Here are my two recipes since I think everyone liked the soup too.

Butternut squash soup:
1-2 butternuts, sliced in half and baked at 400 until tender (or however you prefer to cook them)
1-2 yellow onions
1-4 garlic cloves
thyme
chicken broth or vegetable broth or water
salt and pepper
cream (optional) (I didn't use today)

Cube and peel squash and set aside.
Chop onions and saute in butter and olive oil. Add garlic.
Add squash and thyme and cook for a minute or so. Add broth until almost covering squash. Add salt and pepper.
Cook for about 15 minutes, more if the squash is still a little hard.
Cool for a minute and blend in batches in a food processor or blender.
Heat again. Remove from heat and add cream.

Jan Hagels

2 C whole wheat flour
3/4 cups white flour
2 sticks butter, softened
1 C dark brown sugar
1 TBSP cinnamon
1/2 baking powder
a pinch of salt

Mix ingredients together with hands until well mixed. (I added a little bit of water because it was so dry).
Pat the dough down into a greased pan. It should be about 1/4 inch.
Dip a brush in water and paint all over the top of the dough.
Sprinkle the top with sliced almonds (flat ones work best) and press into the dough.
Bake for about 20 minutes at 350, until nuts are golden brown.
Cut into squares or diamonds while still warm then let sit for 10 minutes before removing from pan.

Hope you all have a good weekend!

#16 ·
Thanks again Sonja!! I'm glad I decided to come today, I'm just bummed we had to leave but, I'm very happy to have food in the oven right now

Lemon juice, I'm soooo glad you all came today
Ethan loves playing with the boys

Ug, now I get to clean all the pukey stuffed animals, poor, poor, poor stuffed animals

#23 ·
I've sent out e-vites for the ap playgroup holiday party. Thank you everyone who has responded so far. I'm so excited to have everyone over for this.

If you're reading this thread- you probably should have received an invite. If you didn't it's because I didn't have your email address (or possibly forgot that I had it) so can you pm me your email address? I don't want to leave anyone out. Thanks everyone.

And for those that wanted to participate in the cookie swap- this is when we'll exchange cookies. For those that are interested in the cookie swap but don't know what I'm talking about- everyone will make 100 of one type of cookie and then exchange their cookies for 100 various cookies that other people have made.

Looking forward to tomorrow- wherever we end up meeting.....
nevermind. Was just called in to sub. Tried to say no but they're desperate. Hopefully Thursday.

#25 ·
amy is in the middle of her first cold. poor thing, she's got snurffely nose and cranky pants. so as much as i want to hang out, i think we are staying home.
no sense in spreading it around. so far i have remained un-sick.....cross your fingers i stay that way

jojo i hope the puking stops.....blecch, puking is awful

sarah does gordon need more subs? you sure are getting lots of calls.....

#26 ·
OH no! There's lots of "sickies" out there (That's what we call them in our house).

Sonja- Hope you guys get your energy back (yup that cup IS mine!) Thank you so much for hosting! We had a great time.

Ariana - The first cold is always the worst, harder on you than on them! {{Sending HUGS }}

Jojo-Puking is the worst, and there are TWO of them! Ugg. Hoping everyone gets better really fast. OH and I think it WAS Susan Weed who you mentioned.

Leslie- It was fantastic to meet you and you amazing children, hope to see you again soon!

Not sure if we will make it tomorrow, we have A LOT to do in the new place. Thurs. might be better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.