Jan '09 RI AP Playgroup - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 140 Old 02-02-2009, 10:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, I think mixed age groups are really good and healthy but bring along a set of problems as well. I said under 2 because I was thinking maybe sometimes some of you would rather go to a playgroup where someone like Isaac isn't going around pushing your littler ones or bopping them on the head. But obviously that's not a problem all 2s have
The biggest reason for people to feel free to have younger ones playgroups though is that more people will be able to host them hopefully and that's what we are having trouble with!
Also, I think it's fun to do the whole big lunch deal once in awhile. I'm pretty sure I could commit to doing every other thursday here with all ages invited and having lunch together. That way we could all connect at least that often.
I enjoy it and I think for the most part the kids do too. Then when spring gets here we can move to the great outdoors.
We were at the park today and it was SOOO nice to be outside!

Shalonne, when I got rear ended many years ago a friend gave me his massage appointment and it really helped. It really can do a number on your body. Hope you feel better!
#122 of 140 Old 02-02-2009, 11:00 PM

Okay...just gonna say it..I hope my children have not freaked you all out. I know we are a big group and a playgroup w/ just my tribe alone but if we are too much we totally understand. I know the group is already crowded and w/ my 3 high energy boys they make it down right hectic for you all, I'm sure. I realize having a large family w/ children so young can be overwhelming for many other families. I understand and we'll keep put. I think that should help out a lot. I have thought about hosting but didn't think people wanted to come down to Cranston...and figured we might not get many to show b/c my kids are older (some, anyway) and sooooo spirited and most have much younger babes. I tend to think most sane people don't want to actually enter into the temple of doom (aka, our house)

Shalonne, I hope you feel better soon! Many healing vibes to you :
#123 of 140 Old 02-03-2009, 01:04 AM

Shalonne, I hope you feel better and I can't help but feel like it's my fault. If you weren't coming over here you wouldn't have gotten in the wreck.

Thank you Kristen for coming over, I really enjoyed the company!!

Today was so beautiful, Ethan got to go outside and play in the snow in his sweat shirt. I wish we could have gone to the park!!

LJ, don't feel like the age group thing is because of you, you are always welcome!!

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#124 of 140 Old 02-03-2009, 11:17 AM

OMG, it is totally not any one person/ family that has prompted this so much as that we are not meeting because people live in small houses/ apartments and just can't handle big groups as hosts. Sarah and I thought that we should think about meeting in smaller groups and little ones tend to be easier to host and take up less space.
It's not that playgroup was bad, it's just that maybe this will be better!
If it feels like you're excluding people just use pm or email...ofcourse maybe some of you already do that...
#125 of 140 Old 02-03-2009, 11:31 AM

I know it's an off day, but if anyone feels like getting together, we are free until 2:00 and looking for something to occupy us .

treehugger.gif
#126 of 140 Old 02-03-2009, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantmama View Post
Yes, I think mixed age groups are really good and healthy but bring along a set of problems as well. I said under 2 because I was thinking maybe sometimes some of you would rather go to a playgroup where someone like Isaac isn't going around pushing your littler ones or bopping them on the head. But obviously that's not a problem all 2s have
The biggest reason for people to feel free to have younger ones playgroups though is that more people will be able to host them hopefully and that's what we are having trouble with!
I think that's where the idea about going to whatever group is appropriate for the oldest comes in. Isaac seems to be fine with the over 3 set because he's with an over 3-year-old every day. Del is fine with the over 1 set because she's with an over 1-year-old every day.

I don't think it's any family in particular- Noah has knocked over Madeleine (and probably others) and Del has tried to scratch out Leo's eyeballs. It doesn't mean that either kid is doing something malicious- just that maybe we need more space? So break the group into smaller groups by age makes sense... for the winter anyway.

a small disclaimer for anyone is reading this thread but has never attended playgroup: this discussion in no way means that new people are not encouraged to start coming. The more the merrier- we're just having some logistic/growing pain issues we're working through- I think that's a good thing. It shows that the group is a)needed and b)worth investing the time/energy to make it work.

Sarah, Farmer, photographer, teacher, mother to Noah 05-05-06 and Del 03-27-08 and best friend to Josh 05-29-04.

#127 of 140 Old 02-03-2009, 06:06 PM

Just another thought - Is there really no where big that we can all meet regularly during the winter? I know we tried Fed Hill PH and that didn't work out but I wonder if there would be anywhere else? Does anyone attend a church with a rec hall that they would be willing to let us use for a small monthly donation? Maybe then we could all just bring a couple toys and snacks? Or does anyone have family that is involved in VFW or Knights of Columbus or groups like that that usually have halls? Or maybe a library that has rooms if we say we are doing like a kids book club or something like that?

I totally see how smaller age groups makes sense for the kids but, being the selfish parent here - I want to be able to interact with all of you!!! I also like Sam to have the interaction with the older kids so he can learn to interact with kids in different age groups before he goes to school. But the younger kids are the ones he has the most fun playing with.

BTW - thank you all for the nice thoughts after my fender bender yesterday. Luckly, I had already had an appointment with chiro Kelly Frye scheduled for tomorrow so hopefully she can help get rid of this pain that's bugging me. I saw some great recommendations for her in the FYT RI/CT/MA section so I'm optimistic
#128 of 140 Old 02-04-2009, 12:39 PM

Thanks for letting me know things are good. I am really glad to have this playgroup and to have met all of you, I was really hoping to keep up seeing you all and getting to know you all better.

My boys are sick and passed it on to me today So when I have a clear head I'd love to toss around ideas about how to help the playgroup during these loooong winter months : Off to rest and drink some teas.... (finally! I have been wanting to use the new tea smilies for some time now! )
#129 of 140 Old 02-04-2009, 05:05 PM

Would a YMCA be an option?

#130 of 140 Old 02-04-2009, 05:10 PM

I've never been to a YMCA so do not know if they do this kind of thing but if anyone knows of one that is conveniently located, I would be more than happy to call and ask / beg...
#131 of 140 Old 02-04-2009, 05:46 PM

there's a ymca on the corner of hope/doyle ave, but i'm not sure how being in a confined space at the ymca is different from being in a confined space at someone's house. if anything, there's fewer toys/activities available in an empty library room/church hall/ymca room, etc than at someone's house. it also doesn't really eliminate the mixed age/large group issues.

my own feeling is that i have a hard time dealing with the chaos that a large group inevitably brings. (large = more than 10 people including adults and kids both) whether it is in my house or someone else's. perhaps this is my own (pathological?) desire for order manifesting. i dunno, maybe by the time amy gets to be 5 or 6 or 7 i will have learned to deal with more chaos. right now, i just kinda get overwhelmed and overstimulated and this causes me to shut down.

i guess i just think that amy has a better time in a group of three or four or even five kids that are relatively close to her in age, and that i have a better time and get to have better conversations when the group is smaller.

ariana, mama to beautiful redheaded girls (oct 07) and (nov 10)

#132 of 140 Old 02-04-2009, 05:58 PM

I totally know what you mean Ariana. I guess I thought the difference would be that a large open room would not have all the stuff in it that a house has. We could just throw a bunch of toys on the floor in different age piles and the kids could play and we could all talk. Maybe that is not realistic? I also thought that having a planned location that we knew would be available on a weakly basis would help alleviate the scheduling problems we seem to run into. This way, we would always know when and where playgroup is, kind of like when it is at the park.

I like the big groups because I like talking to all the different moms - my fear is that I won't get to see the moms of the older kids as much anymore if we split up. It also seems like a lot of the chaos in a house comes from the kids and adults going all over the place? Like they run upstairs or go outside and the adults are trying to get food and not step on kids and stuff. In my head - this all just seems easire in big empty room with maybe just one table on it for snacks... But, there's a lot of wacky stuff in my head so I am totally open to the idea that I know absolutly nothing about what I am saying I won't be offended if no one thinks this is a good idea
#133 of 140 Old 02-04-2009, 10:15 PM

I agree with Sonja, Sarah, and Ariana. When we meet outside and the kids have more room to explore and pursue varied activities, it seems a bit more manageable. I think grouping kids by age - on at least one of the regular meeting days - would help a lot.

I feel like I spend a lot of time hovering over Iris in the larger group because she is younger and smaller than some of the children, and older and bigger than others and I am trying to be diligent in preventing some of the physical contact that happens sometimes. I don't think anyone is being mean-spirited, but there are simply different levels of development that require different kinds of play. I find that when we spend time with fewer people and children who are closer in age and development to her, we can both relax a bit more and there seems to be less need for intervention.

Just throwing my two cents worth in.

treehugger.gif
#134 of 140 Old 02-05-2009, 10:35 AM

Ok not sure if any of you are meeting today...and I know it's last minute but if any of you are dying to get out I can open up my house for the younger kids. I hate beeing all excluding but it's what I can offer right now....gosh I can't wait till SPRING! Just PM me and I can give your my addy and some poor directions. I'll warn you the house is kinda messy but there are lots of toys!

artist mama to two BEAUTIFUL boys, Gabe 3/7/06 and Judah 9/23/09
#135 of 140 Old 02-05-2009, 01:59 PM

It seems like the majority want smaller age-appropriate groups for now. My question is....who has older kids? If we are to host playgroup for the older bunch, what is the cut off age? Just curious to know if we host how many would show up for the older group. I am fine with the splitting up the ages, I honestly would feel much more relaxed as well.

Maybe a solution for getting some adult conversation w/ all the mamas (which is something I would miss very much) is to plan a Mama's Night Out? Maybe we could meet on a week night (thr or fri) or weekend evening/afternoon, etc and go somewhere great? I know my old tribe does this (OR tribe). My old playgroups in Seattle did this and our homeschool group here does as well. I loooove Mama's Night out too We could do a movie, coffee shop, pottery place, good restaurants, etc. If you have a young nursling they would be welcomed as well (that's how we did things). We also met at one another's house to play board games (fun!), movie nights, etc. But that might get crowded....
#136 of 140 Old 02-05-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Juice View Post

Maybe a solution for getting some adult conversation w/ all the mamas (which is something I would miss very much) is to plan a Mama's Night Out? Maybe we could meet on a week night (thr or fri) or weekend evening/afternoon, etc and go somewhere great?
I love this idea!

treehugger.gif
#137 of 140 Old 02-05-2009, 04:00 PM

I'll add my vote!

Quote:
Originally Posted by laneysprout View Post
I love this idea!
#138 of 140 Old 02-05-2009, 04:19 PM

LJ- we'd be there for the big kids group and you can count me in on the Mama's Night too.

#139 of 140 Old 02-05-2009, 07:01 PM

I've done mom's night out with the other playgroup Isaac and I do and it's sooo fun. And I have way more in common with most of you guys.

I posted a Feb. thread for an open playgroup next thursday.

We could do the older kid one as well. Plus Aidan is in school 3 mornings so Isaac and i could come to little ones, unless people want to keep them for really little ones? I know Isaac is at a different stage than a lot of the younger ones and does a lot more pushing, bopping, etc...
#140 of 140 Old 02-05-2009, 09:25 PM

Thanks, Sonja. I just wanted to link to the new thread you started for February.

treehugger.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page