AP families in the Boston area? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 01-13-2009, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're new to the Boston area and have been having a hard time finding like-minded people to hang out with Are there AP families here in the city? I'm a SAHM with an 18 month old son and would love to get together for playdates!

Cindy

Crunchy city momma to DS Adler (7/4/07) and VBAC success with DD Darby (10/31/09)
#2 of 19 Old 01-14-2009, 12:30 PM

Hi Cindy,

to MDC!

There is an Attachment Parenting of Greater Boston list on Yahoo:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/apiofgreaterboston/ where you might find some families close by for playdates.

There's also the Boston Babywearers group which has monthly meetings:
http://www.bostonbabywearers.com/

If you're BFing, there are a couple of LLL toddler meetings in the Boston area (Newton, Dedham and I think I heard there's one forming in Cambridge?).

Bitchin' Mamas (on meetup.com) is a moms group where several of my AP friends have found like-minded mamas, though it's not focused on AP.
http://hipmama.meetup.com/212/
(and search meetup.com for other parenting groups too)

The Boston Mamas website has a "find local parents" section which lists lots of area parenting groups:
http://www.bostonmamas.com/localresources.html

And, I'm sure Boston MDC mamas will reply to your post here too

=================
Mama to DS 5/03 & DD 2/06 :
: ICAN “You never know when you're making a memory.” ~ Rickie Lee Jones
#3 of 19 Old 01-15-2009, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info! I am rather surprised that the API group here doesn't meet, but rather is an online only chat group. Hopefully I'll get some responses when I post there to see if there are SAHM up for playdates or get togethers.

It's good to know that the LLL group here does toddler meetings, so I'll check into that.

I'm a bit puzzled that there doesn't seem to be more AP/Natural Family Living folks that actually live in the city, or perhaps it's just my luck that most of the people I meet are pretty mainstream

It's pretty frustrating when people think you're crazy because we're still nursing, we cosleep, we don't vax, we don't own a stroller, etc etc...

anyway, thanx for the leads!

Crunchy city momma to DS Adler (7/4/07) and VBAC success with DD Darby (10/31/09)
#4 of 19 Old 02-19-2009, 11:30 PM

I'm not a SAHM, but I have a friendly 16 mo daughter, and I am the crunchiest mama I know We're always up for meeting new ppl. We live in Arlington...

Loving being a stay at home mamma to DD 10/07, and newly arrived DS 7/26/10
#5 of 19 Old 02-28-2009, 12:06 AM

I am in Quincy and have an 18 month old son also. Always looking to make new friends!
:
Alison
#6 of 19 Old 02-28-2009, 09:12 AM

We are in Cambridge/Somerville often because we used to live there and my husband owns a business there...maybe a playground meetup near the T when the weather warms up?

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#7 of 19 Old 03-01-2009, 04:23 PM

You may also try seeking other like minded parents on the Boston Parents Network (bpn) Yahoo Group. Not everyone is AP but there are quite a few crunchy AP subscribers. I would call myself a wannabe crunchy parent with AP tendencies
#8 of 19 Old 03-02-2009, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganf View Post
We are in Cambridge/Somerville often because we used to live there and my husband owns a business there...maybe a playground meetup near the T when the weather warms up?

I'm up for that! I'm not too familiar with the playgrounds except the couple that are close by to where I live, but we're always up to exploring new fun spaces. Hopefully the weather will warm up soon!

#9 of 19 Old 03-03-2009, 01:08 AM

I've always wondered where all the Boston parents were too, although there probably are not that many that actually live in the city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alisonsvw View Post
I am in Quincy and have an 18 month old son also. Always looking to make new friends!
:
Alison

Alison there's an informal AP group up in your area, and a lot of parents from Quincy.... many also post here. I used to live in Quincy but moved to Plymouth.

Here's the link http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SouthShoreAP/
HTH,
Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#10 of 19 Old 03-10-2009, 01:05 PM

I'm a SAHM in Waltham with a 15 month old!

Here's the Mommy Milk Meetup group for Burlington - the group hosts plenty of events in Somerville and Arlington (as well as the Metro-West area).

fuzmalesling.giffemalesling2.GIF mama to my spunky little girl, m, born 12/10/07 blahblah.gif, and my sweet little guy, k, born 10/27/10 babyf.gif
nocirc.gif familybed2.gif cd.gif homebirth.jpg nak.gif
#11 of 19 Old 03-10-2009, 01:37 PM

I haven't checked out Meetup in a while...are they still charging fees these days?

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#12 of 19 Old 03-10-2009, 03:17 PM

yeah, but you get a month free to try it out first. the fees are $10 a year. the nice thing about trying it out first is that you can see if there are actually things that you want to go to. i know there's also a naturababes yahoo group that has a lot of people on the meetup and runs playgroups and stuff, but i am really bad at stuff like yahoo groups so i didn't join.

fuzmalesling.giffemalesling2.GIF mama to my spunky little girl, m, born 12/10/07 blahblah.gif, and my sweet little guy, k, born 10/27/10 babyf.gif
nocirc.gif familybed2.gif cd.gif homebirth.jpg nak.gif
#13 of 19 Old 03-10-2009, 05:01 PM

Thanks for the info. I'll just stick to MDC, my YMCA group, and my DDC club then.

#14 of 19 Old 03-10-2009, 09:02 PM

adlersmom are you near jamaica plain at all? there is a big tent group called jpmoms that covers all these neighborhoods around the area and it is a good way to meet local families. not everyone is AP, but there are definitely a good bunch of AP folks on there and a lot of nice people.
#15 of 19 Old 03-11-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganf View Post
I haven't checked out Meetup in a while...are they still charging fees these days?
there is a fee because meetup.com charges a fee to have a group.
#16 of 19 Old 03-11-2009, 03:16 PM

the local LLL conference is coming up. always lots of fun and a great place to meet people.

http://www.llleus.org/ACf/MaRIVt/index.htm
#17 of 19 Old 03-12-2009, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

rollergirl, thanks for the tip. I'm in the South End so JP isn't that far away, and it's t-accessible.

btw, I'll be attending the local LLL conference so hope to see some of you there!

#18 of 19 Old 03-13-2009, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessjgh1 View Post
I've always wondered where all the Boston parents were too, although there probably are not that many that actually live in the city.

Alison there's an informal AP group up in your area, and a lot of parents from Quincy.... many also post here. I used to live in Quincy but moved to Plymouth.

Here's the link http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SouthShoreAP/
HTH,
Jessica
Im on SSAP
#19 of 19 Old 03-13-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdlersMom View Post
rollergirl, thanks for the tip. I'm in the South End so JP isn't that far away, and it's t-accessible.

btw, I'll be attending the local LLL conference so hope to see some of you there!
I work in the South End (but I don't have my LOs with me)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page