Boston Architectural College? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 01-19-2009, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dh is pursuing going back to school for architecture and is looking at Boston Architectural College/BAC as a possible school. I was wondering if anyone has any feedback on this school-either through personal experience or word of mouth? Or if it generally has a good reputation back there? Just thought we'd check before investing the $ in a plane ticket for him to check it out.
TIA!

Lisa, mama to A (3/05) and R (11/07) and L (8/10)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 01-20-2009, 11:31 PM

My DH's friend did one semester there for Interior Design and he was a bit disappointed and decided not to continue.

First, they refused to transfer ANY of his credits because the classes he took were not 100% exactly like the ones they offered. Which meant he had to pay $$ to learn almost exactly what he already knew and was bored.

Secondly, there is a requirement that they get jobs in their respective fields as interns, yet they don't do any work for their portfolios until after the requirement for their jobs is in place. Not only that, but the school doesn't offer any asistance in getting these internships.

So, that is one person's view. However, he may be in the minority. I haven't heard anything else, good or bad.

Good luck!
#3 of 14 Old 01-21-2009, 03:19 AM

DH is currently going there for architecture.

The BAC just recently recieved very high acclaim for their programs, ranking in the top with Ivy League schools. You do need to have a job in the respective field you are studying but, it's a paying job, not a free internship. If you are taking classes that are relevant to your work the employer should pay for those classes. DH is getting reimbursed quite a bit of money for classes through his employer.

He is sleeping right now but, I will be back with more info you.

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#4 of 14 Old 01-21-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalulu View Post
My dh is pursuing going back to school for architecture and is looking at Boston Architectural College/BAC as a possible school. I was wondering if anyone has any feedback on this school-either through personal experience or word of mouth? Or if it generally has a good reputation back there? Just thought we'd check before investing the $ in a plane ticket for him to check it out.
TIA!
A friend of mine was the director of Continuing Ed at teh BAC. I will ask her thoughts on it. She is now at BU (and has been for at least 4 years) so I not sure how up to date her info will be.

:CLC,Doula :Mama to 2
#5 of 14 Old 01-23-2009, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroMama View Post
First, they refused to transfer ANY of his credits because the classes he took were not 100% exactly like the ones they offered. Which meant he had to pay $$ to learn almost exactly what he already knew and was bored.

Secondly, there is a requirement that they get jobs in their respective fields as interns, yet they don't do any work for their portfolios until after the requirement for their jobs is in place. Not only that, but the school doesn't offer any asistance in getting these internships.

Good luck!
Oh thats too bad about the classes. Dh is debating whether or not to take some of the prereq classes here or just wait and do it all back there.

We do know about the job requirement but didn't know about the portfolio stuff coming after.

Thank you!

#6 of 14 Old 01-23-2009, 04:21 PM

Do let me know if you are coming out this way to check things out!!!

#7 of 14 Old 01-23-2009, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo F. View Post
DH is currently going there for architecture.

The BAC just recently recieved very high acclaim for their programs, ranking in the top with Ivy League schools. You do need to have a job in the respective field you are studying but, it's a paying job, not a free internship. If you are taking classes that are relevant to your work the employer should pay for those classes. DH is getting reimbursed quite a bit of money for classes through his employer.

He is sleeping right now but, I will be back with more info you.
I saw that they just got a great ranking from Design Intelligence!

Is your dh in the bachelors or masters program? Mine would be doing the masters for people without any architecture background.

Did your dh have a hard time finding a job in the field? Thats great that your dh's classes are paid for!

Its such a huge move for us from Seattle but the school sounds like a good fit in the sense that dh would get licensed faster-he's 43 and feeling a little "mature" so to speak

Is it hard on you having him at work all day and them going to school at night (and I assume there is a bit of studio type work too)?

Thanks for all the info!

#8 of 14 Old 01-24-2009, 12:07 AM

Quote:
I saw that they just got a great ranking from Design Intelligence!
That's where it was, I couldn't remember. Their bachelors program got the ranking. A lot of other schools don't offer a bachelors in architecture.

Quote:
Is your dh in the bachelors or masters program? Mine would be doing the masters for people without any architecture background.
Technically he is in the bachelors but will most likely do the masters. In the long run having the masters will open more doors.

Quote:
Did your dh have a hard time finding a job in the field? Thats great that your dh's classes are paid for!
He was really lucky actually and found a job two blocks from our house so he walks to work and comes home for lunch
Not all of the classes are paid for just the ones that pertain to his position but, any little bit helps!

Quote:
Its such a huge move for us from Seattle but the school sounds like a good fit in the sense that dh would get licensed faster-he's 43 and feeling a little "mature" so to speak

Is it hard on you having him at work all day and them going to school at night (and I assume there is a bit of studio type work too)?

Thanks for all the info!
He said the BAC is one of the schools that allows you to actually have a life. Other schools want you to spend 8 hours a day and are more demanding in the time aspect. He takes all night classes, 2 nights/week, and only goes part-time so it's not that hard for us. Plus we live very close to the train station so he can walk.

One thing that may make a difference in the job aspect is that we don't live in Boston so it wasn't next to impossible for DH to find a job. Search around before you make your final decision to see who is hiring, this economy will not make it any easier.

About the prereq classes, as with ANY school transfer, make sure the credits will transfer otherwise it's a waste of time and money unless he really just wants some experience.

I'm curious though, why all the way across the country? That's a major move.

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#9 of 14 Old 01-26-2009, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by monocyte View Post
Do let me know if you are coming out this way to check things out!!!

Definitely!!

#10 of 14 Old 01-26-2009, 01:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo F. View Post
I'm curious though, why all the way across the country? That's a major move.
The biggest reason is that he can still work full time and leave me some flexibility for staying home or working pt if I want. And that he'd be done sooner than if he went to a regular Uni and did the 3years + 1 semester MArch. Even after his time getting the degree, he'd still have to do all the work credits before he could get his license.

And the smaller reasons being that neither of us have lived outside Seattle and we both have liked Boston when we visited.

ETA: Thank you for all the info!

#11 of 14 Old 01-26-2009, 01:24 AM

You might miss Seattle more than you realize We are working our hardest to get back to the Seattle area. I would keep in mind where you would live if he does this and really look into it. (I'm sure you will..but you will find that it is very, very different from the NW).

good luck to you, mama!
#12 of 14 Old 01-26-2009, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Juice View Post
You might miss Seattle more than you realize We are working our hardest to get back to the Seattle area. I would keep in mind where you would live if he does this and really look into it. (I'm sure you will..but you will find that it is very, very different from the NW).

good luck to you, mama!

What did you find were the hardest differences/adjustments? We are having a hard time with the idea of it being 5 years away from home especially as our parents get older.

#13 of 14 Old 01-27-2009, 05:05 PM

nak
i'll drop you a pm
#14 of 14 Old 01-28-2009, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Juice View Post
nak
i'll drop you a pm
Ok!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page