lead testing exemptions for MA - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-17-2009, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter
hmg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone able to assist with this, I'm looking for documentation proving or disproving that lead testing is covered by religious exemption in MA.

My daughter is 2.5 years old, never had a lead test and we don't live in an old house.

We do claim religious exemption for vaccination, but I was given a hard time about lead testing at her school today. I've spent a ton of time on the state website and even called, but can't come up with anything either way.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 03-17-2009, 02:20 PM

i don't live in mass, but wanted to share our experience:

our dd had elevated lead levels and it wasn't from peeling paint in our house. it was an appliance (refrigerator from the 60s/70s) that had lead paint on the exterior. i know another family that has a kid with high levels which came from some painted furniture.

lead can be in a lot of things in the environment. it is also in the soil, air, soldering of pipes that carry your drinking water, toys, etc. you see where i'm going on this.

i'm extremely grateful that my daughter was tested for lead as early as she was. she was tested at her 9 month visit and most pedis do it at 12 months. by catching it early we were able to correct the problem and prevent any long term effects. the initial test was just a fingerprick. it was over in half a minute and had enormous benefits for us as a family.

i'm curious as to why you object to this test?

ariana, mama to beautiful redheaded girls (oct 07) and (nov 10)

#3 of 9 Old 03-17-2009, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
hmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancyoats View Post

i'm curious as to why you object to this test?
I didn't say I objected to it.

I was just looking for the information. I realize lead can come into the system from varied sources. I am merely looking for if it is or isn't covered under the exemption.

Glad your daughter is ok...~!
#4 of 9 Old 03-17-2009, 02:59 PM

sorry if i misinterpreted you, and i hope i didn't come across as a nosy nellie :P

ariana, mama to beautiful redheaded girls (oct 07) and (nov 10)

#5 of 9 Old 03-17-2009, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
hmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancyoats View Post
sorry if i misinterpreted you, and i hope i didn't come across as a nosy nellie :P
No worries!!
#6 of 9 Old 03-17-2009, 08:08 PM

I just declined it. There doesn't need to be an exemption. Your child does not have to be poked. We refuse hemoglobin too. I have been asked, and just replied that it wasn't necessary for my child.
#7 of 9 Old 03-18-2009, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter
hmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommymilk1 View Post
I just declined it. There doesn't need to be an exemption. Your child does not have to be poked. We refuse hemoglobin too. I have been asked, and just replied that it wasn't necessary for my child.
Okay, but I am trying to find where this is referenced in the state law. My school is suddenly making an issue out of it and I want to find verbage that states the law.

I can't find anything and nobody from the Health Services returning (or answering) the phone. VERY Frustrating.

Silly people!
#8 of 9 Old 03-18-2009, 07:34 PM

I understand you wanting to find info on it, but I doubt you will find it. And it drives me nuts when we get bullied for our choices on what we do with our children. I say push back if they are pushing you. They cannot MAKE you do anything. Nor can they say you cannot bring your child there because of refusing the lead test.

Don't bust your back trying to figure out why you don't need to have this done. Make them bust their backs finding out why you do!
#9 of 9 Old 03-19-2009, 01:35 PM

I'm pretty sure the law does not allow for exemptions. Lead screening is required to enter Kindergarten, that would include private Kindergartens if they haven't been screened before.

Here are the laws related to this:
http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/111-193.htm
(and all of 111-190-197 I think, but this is the most relevant one)
http://www.mass.gov/Eeohhs2/docs/dph...ad/1054601.pdf

I don't vax, but I do the lead test, lead is all over New England and children can get lead poisoning from a wide variety of sources. Christmas Lights, Toys, appliances, soil where an older building might have stood (and its not really possible to know a building never stood in your backyard 300 years ago), soil near streets (lead was an ingredient in gasoline until the 70s), jewelry, etc. Other than the slight pain of a small finger prick, lead testing does not have any negative effect on your child. This is not something I would look to exempt personally.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)

User Tag List