birthing at Umass Memorial- info wanted! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-31-2009, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I will be delivering at Umass Memorial. I have my first appointment next week but I wanted to know more about it- do they allow the spouse to room in? Will they allow the baby to stay in with me? etc etc.. I just want to hear your experiences. Also, does anyone have experience with any of the perinatologists? I come from Maine and I am feeling like a small fish in a big pond.. I am afraid I will get lost in the shuffle! There were 2 other women delivering at the hospital in maine the night I had my daughter. Is there an online tour of the birth center? I googled it but I found a million links to other hospitals..
Thanks for any info!

Kerri, mom to Doran  angel2.gif  (born still 7/6/05 at 33 weeks), Mairaed (11/16/07),  angel1.gif 11/15/08 at 10 weeks,  Kieran (11/2/09).   angel1.gif 1/11/11 at 15 weeks
#2 of 7 Old 03-31-2009, 10:22 PM

I had my first daughter there 2 years ago. My husband stayed in the room with me and I had my daughter with me at all times including having her in my bed at night. Thought the nurses there were super helpful to me seeing it was my first, the food was good, the pedi there was great, and the only annoying thing was when they woke me up at night to take my blood pressure. No exp with a perinat but all the ob/gyns are excellent in my opinion. Hope this helps!
#3 of 7 Old 04-01-2009, 08:37 AM

They encourage rooming in. Your DH can stay as well, though it may be uncomfortable (they have some cots, but not enough so with my c-section DH spent 2 nights in a chair then the last night in a cot). The rooms are all singles & pretty nice, as far as hospital rooms go. You can read a bit about the Birthing/Maternity center here:
http://www.umassmemorial.org/Medical...IP.cfm?id=2086

Now, my first wasn't an ideal birth experience (failed induction leading to c-section), however I'm planning a VBAC there next month and my doctor (different one than first time) has been nothing but supportive.

Oh, the food is pretty good too. I got strawberry cheesecake every night for dessert!
#4 of 7 Old 04-01-2009, 06:18 PM

I had a great experience there, aside from needing a c-section... The nurses were all awesome (but they do come in all night long to check on you). All of my rooms had a window seat that was somewhat long enough to be a bed. My L&D room, first recovery room, and second recovery room. We switched recovery rooms to get one with a longer window seat that my husband could sleep on -- there were vacant rooms so this wasn't a problem.

Toby slept in the crook of my arm, no problems. No one said a word! I loved it. I liked the food, too. Really enjoyed my omelette breakfast every morning! I didn't think to order cheesecake -- I'll have to remember next time! For my husband, there are lots of good restaurants nearby, so he was able to go pick up good food if he didn't want the hospital food. (Now that I know about Moe's, I'll definitely have him pick me up a burrito!)

ETA: They have a good LC on staff who offers a breastfeeding class every morning. I ended up getting a new Medela PIS covered by insurance because my son couldn't latch on well. The nurse got it for me within minutes!

Cristina
CPST and mom to Toby 6/06 and Caleb 8/09
#5 of 7 Old 04-02-2009, 10:44 AM

Oh, I did have 1 nurse that was a witch. DH was holding DD at night so I could get an hour or 2 of sleep (she screamed bloody murder whenever we put her down). This nurse came in and yelled at him saying he'd drop her & that if anyone held her at night it should be me since I had rails on my bed. Now.. I was a bit drugged up and out of it and I trusted DH way more than I trusted myself. So, we ignored her and never saw her again!

The LC was good - that daily morning BF class actually turned into 1-on-1 instruction since I was the only one there that morning.

1 night they ran out of cheesecake so I had to have chocolate cake. Oh, the horror! lol.

Overall it was a pretty good experience (much better than I had when I went there to get my gallbladder removed - that was a nightmare!)
#6 of 7 Old 04-04-2009, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, I am SO GLAD to hear this! I have been thinking I would just get lost in the shuffle.... just being one of so many moms giving birth there. Thanks everyone!

Kerri, mom to Doran  angel2.gif  (born still 7/6/05 at 33 weeks), Mairaed (11/16/07),  angel1.gif 11/15/08 at 10 weeks,  Kieran (11/2/09).   angel1.gif 1/11/11 at 15 weeks
#7 of 7 Old 04-09-2009, 12:05 PM

I have not delivered there before, but I have heard lots of good things about it. I am expecting baby #3 in October and chose a dr that delivers at Memorial. I did not have stellar experiences delivering baby#1 and 2. I hear that memorail has the lowest C section rates in Worcester county.

Marie- Mom to David- c/s 2/1/03, Andrew VBAC 2/13/06 and Ashee unplanned unassisted homebirth 10/10/09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page