Chicken Pox in the Metrowest Area - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 87 Old 04-14-2009, 08:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
tuesday am --
6yo has tons of spots on his face now, baby has a couple more, 2yo still none.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 87 Old 04-14-2009, 08:33 AM

:d

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#33 of 87 Old 04-14-2009, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
DD is pretty sick and one of the babies is soooo clingy I can't manage to add more folks right now, so if you've pmed me and I didn't get back please excuse me. Avery finally fell asleep about 11:30 last night and slept fitfully for all of 45 minutes before I gave her ibuprofen for her shaking fever. Then she slept for about 2 hours. You know it is gonna be a long day when your 6 year old has already watched 3 hours of tv at 6 am! Her throat is covered with white lesions and it hurts to talk, swallow, etc.

I'm guessing the baby must be getting a healthy exposure now and we'll be back for sharing in another couple weeks.

It was nice to have company yesterday though and the distraction was great for the kids also.

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#34 of 87 Old 04-14-2009, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumm View Post
DD is pretty sick ....Her throat is covered with white lesions and it hurts to talk, swallow, etc.
Is it possible she has Strep on top of cp? Goodness, I hope not.

#35 of 87 Old 04-14-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post
Is it possible she has Strep on top of cp? Goodness, I hope not.
Yeah, I might consider taking her in to get looked at mumm, or at least calling the doc. I just got over strep myself (long after you were here, but it does seem to be going around). That would be miserable if she had both!

It sounds like your DD got a more severe case with a larger number of pox. By the end, I'd estimate my DS had about 250 and DD about 150. Her symptoms sound pretty bad (a lot worse than what we experienced at least).

Sorry you're having such a rough time! Hang in there!

=================
Mama to DS 5/03 & DD 2/06 :
: April is Cesarean Awareness Month
#36 of 87 Old 04-14-2009, 03:04 PM

So I'm not sure what's going on w/ DD. She has a couple of more spots today, but I really can't tell if they're chickenpox or not. If it is chickenpox, it's extremely mild. They just look like bug bites to me and I have not been able to tell if there is blistering, but there's not any scabs on the older ones either. Anyone know typical progression? I mean, how many days from spot to scab usually?
#37 of 87 Old 04-14-2009, 03:29 PM

Hi, seems like this strain is pretty good. My friend that came to MAmom's with us has 2 daughters that caught it too. Her oldest is covered from head to toe in pox and has been pretty cranky at night too. Anyways, I just wanted to let you know that the dr's said not to use ibuprofen with the pox. Only tylenol. You might want to ask your dr if it's ok. Best of luck.
#38 of 87 Old 04-14-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandcc96 View Post
Anyways, I just wanted to let you know that the dr's said not to use ibuprofen with the pox. Only tylenol.
I had heard that somewhere too, so I bought Tylenol after visiting MAMom just in case. So far 6yo has been fine with a dose of Tylenol & Benadryl before bed and upon waking, sleeping fine at night. He is really covered now too. I put on a little Aveeno lotion on the biggest spots, but he's not really complaining...playing, eating (a little less), and making 6yo boy eyeball jokes.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#39 of 87 Old 04-14-2009, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthgirl View Post
So I'm not sure what's going on w/ DD. She has a couple of more spots today, but I really can't tell if they're chickenpox or not. If it is chickenpox, it's extremely mild. They just look like bug bites to me and I have not been able to tell if there is blistering, but there's not any scabs on the older ones either. Anyone know typical progression? I mean, how many days from spot to scab usually?
DD's case started like that too, but by the 3rd day it really started to look like CP.

The Dr. Sears website has good info:
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T083400.asp
(says by the 4th day the first spots start to crust)

Did your friend's son get it?
#40 of 87 Old 04-14-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAMom View Post
DD's case started like that too, but by the 3rd day it really started to look like CP.

The Dr. Sears website has good info:
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T083400.asp
(says by the 4th day the first spots start to crust)

Did your friend's son get it?
Thanks! No, no spots on my friend's LO. BTW, everytime I look for spots on Simi she says, "I'm thinking about that chickenpox lady." She means you. Clearly you, and the horse, left an impression.
#41 of 87 Old 04-14-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
BTW, everytime I look for spots on Simi she says, "I'm thinking about that chickenpox lady." She means you. Clearly you, and the horse, left an impression.
That's so funny!!
#42 of 87 Old 04-14-2009, 05:20 PM

Oh Nate talked about that horse for days too.
Speaking of Nate, he has 2 suspicious spots. Hopefully tomorrow will bring more.

#43 of 87 Old 04-14-2009, 06:32 PM

There is also a mouthwash that you can get for mouth sores. I didn't end up needing it or looking into it much.... so I don't know if it's good or not, or if it is readily available.
I'm not sure what else is out there, other than the drs probably will recommend giving the vax or an antibiotic to lesson symptoms- or be totally clueless now that cp is not mainstream...

I'm probably repeating myself, but from our experience and the others with harder cases, there are 2-3 bad days and then relative ease... The first day or 2 was developing and then 2-3 days where it can feel a little overwhelming and then a good 3-5 days of everything being okay but dc is clingy and/or emotional/testy and then after that there is still some time to recover after that.
Of course, I'm basing that on a small number of cases, but when I thought at day 3 that it was going to be like that for another 3-5 days, I was really worried.. but a day and a half later we had pretty much 'clear sailing'... phew.
So if you are in the thick of it and feeling a bit overwhelmed, I hope it will seem a little less so in the next day or so. It should.

And strep is going around here too.... apparently we missed it at preschool the week Josh had the chicken pox....
Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#44 of 87 Old 04-14-2009, 06:40 PM

Strep is running rampant in the Natick, Framingham, Needham, Wellesley, and Newton area (from what the docs/hospital have been telling me.)

Good luck everyone.

#45 of 87 Old 04-14-2009, 11:16 PM

Just wanted to give you all a heads-up. Got a pm from the media today (ABC producer). Sleepdeprivedmommy is supposedly one of their producers looking for an interview. I'm not interested in their interviews and just wanted to let you know that they're looking. Best of luck to everyone, looks like we're heading toward the home stretch with most of her pox scabbing over! Woohoo...there is an end in sight!
#46 of 87 Old 04-15-2009, 07:58 AM

Interesting. Thanks for the heads up. I'll be careful today. :

#47 of 87 Old 04-15-2009, 08:32 AM

I also thought on day 3 that this would go on forever in misery. Then on day 4 it seemed like old spots were scabbing and for some reason some of the smaller dots never got big. They just got tiny blisters and scabs. My dd has some very large scabs from a couple of really large blisters. So it seems like from day 3 to day 4 there is some sort of turning point. I hope it's that way for the rest of you.
#48 of 87 Old 04-15-2009, 09:05 AM

Day 3 -
6yo is covered, but many are blistery/pussy now and a few have begun to scab.
2yo hasn't gotten any more than the 2 suspicious spots so I don't think he'll get them until later, so he and 5yo will likely be up for sharing at the end of the month.
Baby has 3-4 dozen spots, many new today, a few are blistery.

#49 of 87 Old 04-15-2009, 01:04 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
: So many pox-y kids. I am trying to keep my 3 health enough for exposure soon. We are almost done with the gross leaky nose and the cough is productive and nearly gone.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#50 of 87 Old 04-15-2009, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandcc96 View Post
Hi, seems like this strain is pretty good. My friend that came to MAmom's with us has 2 daughters that caught it too. Her oldest is covered from head to toe in pox and has been pretty cranky at night too. Anyways, I just wanted to let you know that the dr's said not to use ibuprofen with the pox. Only tylenol. You might want to ask your dr if it's ok. Best of luck.
Yikes. I've been giving dd ibuprofen. Off to dr. google now.

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#51 of 87 Old 04-15-2009, 02:21 PM

We've got em!
#52 of 87 Old 04-15-2009, 04:36 PM

congrats earthgirl! Best of luck...lots of oatmeal baths and hugs!
#53 of 87 Old 04-15-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
We've got em!

Well, the tally is now 8 out of the 10 families who visited us got them so far, so we did something right over here
#54 of 87 Old 04-15-2009, 05:34 PM

OK
#55 of 87 Old 04-15-2009, 06:17 PM

We may be for 1-2 more days.
PM me or email me at: yourmove @ rcn.com

#56 of 87 Old 04-16-2009, 09:22 AM

Day 4 -
6yo is feeling a bit better today, many spots scabbing over, but also some new ones--on his palms and fingers!
Baby has a few new ones on her face/head.

#57 of 87 Old 04-16-2009, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

So I guess it is day 5 for us. Big kid went off to school. (We were at the bus stop 40 minutes early. Think he was ready??) 6 year old appears to be fully scabbed over but is still slightly feverish and feeling sick. Not sure what the deal is there. One year old has about 7 or 8 new spots on torso while the ones on her head are fully scabbed. Other one year old has nothing.

The bus stop was hysterical. Some families treated us like we had leprosy and were holding an anthrax wind machine. Others came right up and asked how people were feeling. It was really quite interesting and only reinforced my feeling I already had for people.

#58 of 87 Old 04-17-2009, 10:07 PM

How are all the kids doing now, mama's?

#59 of 87 Old 04-18-2009, 08:41 AM

Yesterday, Day 5, 6yo probably could have gone back to school, but he was still a tad bit itchy, otherwise fine. Oh, and I noticed on day 4 that he had some spots IN his mouth, just under his upper lip, but he said he couldn't even feel them.

Baby actually went to her scheduled wbv yesterday. I didn't want to lose the appointment, plus this way it's documented that she had pox, and the doctor was happy to take my word for it about the other kids, but said we could draw titers at her 1 year appointment to be sure , but I said I know what pox look like thanks, I had them at age 15, but she just wanted to offer it since she said many parents come in with kids they think have chicken pox apparently and she tries to assure them that it something else, so they usually check titers then. Anyhow...

Some of the baby's spots had gotten pussier, and she had a low fever, which also happened to 6yo the day before they crusted over, though she was more uncomfortable. She also took 4 naps yesterday! (usually only takes 2) and had little appetite except for nursing. She had really acted fine until yesterday, I think the spots were getting itchier, so I finally caved and gave her a little acetaminophen and Benadryl. After the Benadryl kicked in she slept really well last night. (Of course Dada came home last night--yes, he's been away all week during this--so that might have helped too.)
And 6yo asked for some lotion on some spots last night before bed.

Day 6 - 6yo hasn't mentioned any itching at all so far today.
Baby woke up in a better mood, no noticable fever. So I'd so we're almost done....until round 2! which I expect will hit around the weekend of the 26th.

#60 of 87 Old 04-19-2009, 01:15 AM

Is anyone still contagious?

My lo is well and I've been ready... then forgot to check this board for the last week...augh!

Anyone?

Thanks mamas!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page