Chicken Pox in the Metrowest Area - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 87 Old 04-12-2009, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Okay-

Here’s our deal. Please pm with who you are and where you are coming from and who you’ll be bringing. Please be sure you are all healthy! We came down with colds shortly after exposure to the pox. I don’t want to get sick again, especially after this past week of colds. Also, we are finishing up the cold so three of us have pretty good coughs, but mostly just at night. One of the babies has a watery nose.

DS still has 30-40 pox. Not a lot of new ones over night. DD has about 6 but they are so textbook perfect- dew drop on a petal. Nothing from the twins who are going to get tossed through the window if they are just planning to be this miserable for the foreseeable future!
Our house will be open this afternoon after two pm. We will also invite guests on Monday between 9:30 and 11:30 and again after 2pm. We are unwashed and the house is a mess. Hey- we’ve been sick! I’ll give you our address in a pm or email. I'll add more days as needed or appropriate.

Here’s to natural immunity! : Thanks for helping us with this MAMom!

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#2 of 87 Old 04-12-2009, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Glad to hear the exposure worked, mumm (though not on the ones you were expecting it for, eh?)!

The Aveeno anti-itch cream really helped us more than plain calemine (Jessica recommended this to me, and it really worked well...thanks J!), and we also used Benedryl a couple of nights when sleeping was tough.

Hang in there
#3 of 87 Old 04-12-2009, 12:10 PM

Well...we still have the drippy noses so I guess we can't reexpose yet.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#4 of 87 Old 04-12-2009, 01:40 PM

Mumm- Thinking of you.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#5 of 87 Old 04-12-2009, 02:18 PM

Subbing. DD has a runny nose so it's either pox or just a cold. Please keep us updated.
#6 of 87 Old 04-13-2009, 08:36 AM

I THINK we have it, well, Ryan anyways. A few spots, 1 or 2 very pox-like in appearance. And he was complaining his tummy hurt a little this morning and he feels warm too. Which means we'll probably have it to share on and off for a while since the 2yo and baby don't have it yet, and the 5yo wasn't at MAmoms so he'll have to catch it from his siblings hopefully.
I'll keep you all posted. We're also in Metrowest so I'll just piggyback this thread!

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#7 of 87 Old 04-13-2009, 08:44 AM

Krista- Hope it's a mild case.

#8 of 87 Old 04-13-2009, 09:05 AM

Please, please, please let us know if it pox. I'll come by at any time.
#9 of 87 Old 04-13-2009, 10:17 AM

If you can, try to limit exposure to siblings. Just wanted to be sure those with more than one child are aware of this. Josh got it quite a bit worse than Rebecca, which, of course, could be just 'luck' but it can be due to the extended exposure.

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#10 of 87 Old 04-13-2009, 10:30 AM

Aw, I got all excited last night...Tobias had a fever and was snuffuly...Geoff ran out and got tylenol and I asked him to pick up benadryl because I was convinced he had the pox (I saw him itch his arm and back a couple of times). But this morning nuthin but a little raised circle by his cheak.

So, anyway, no pox party for us. C'est la vie!
#11 of 87 Old 04-13-2009, 11:09 AM

Ours started out with just one little raised circle so don't give up hope yet!! Best of luck!
#12 of 87 Old 04-13-2009, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Well Avery has about double the pox today and has been weepy and tempermental like Logan was yesterday. Meryl has exactly one blister. Poor kid has a severely infected bug bite (to the point of fever and oral abx) on the back of her head and a pox on the front. And older sibs who love to rub her hair.

I understand about prolonged exposure possibly creating a more severe case. I just want the babies to get enough of a case to be real, kwim? I think they may still be nursing too much.

We've had no trouble with itchiness but I have Aveeno cream and the oatmeal soak jic.

And the spots don't start like the "dew drop on a petal" like I thought. We just thought Logan's were bug bites for about 16 hours. Okay- 2 naked toddlers climbing on me so I can barely see the screen. Time to g o b......

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#13 of 87 Old 04-13-2009, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Darn it, I KNEW my kids would get sick when there was pox around.: The baby has a snotty nose and the 4 year old has a cough.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#14 of 87 Old 04-13-2009, 02:22 PM

Okay, Ryan's back is looking pretty speckled now, but just little red dots mostly, only 2 that look like typical pox so far, 1 on his chest and one on his face. He has a fever and is hanging out on the couch, but we have a nicely contaminated Wii remote from the Littlest Pet Shop game.

2yo has had a runny nose from a cold, so it's hard to tell what's up with him...but I suppose it's time to invite people over...

PM me or email me at yourmove @ rcn.com
I thinking of sending 5yo to school tomorrow morning (tuesday) but not 2yo, and allowing people over from 9:45-11:45am, and again from 2-4pm. Maybe something similar over the next few days, but I don't want to wear us all out so I'll see what response I get...

- Krista

#15 of 87 Old 04-13-2009, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Krista- I'm glad to know you are doing what I am. I'm feeling very isolated at the moment. Perhaps exhaustion but I'm weepy over the fact that our neighbor can't even put the school work sent home in our mailbox because we are so contagious. Sheesh, our mailbox across the street might be lethal????? I can't wait for dp to get home on friday so I can sleep for 60 consecutive minutes!!

Anyway. Avery developed about 200 more spots in the last few hours, so she has well over 400 at this point. She doesn't feel feverish but has been shaking and cold most of the day. And she is weepy sad too. I can't even imagine what the teen years might be like with 5 people pmsing.

My kids have watched more tv in the past day than in the past 4 months!

Hang in there!

#16 of 87 Old 04-13-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumm View Post
I can't wait for dp to get home on friday so I can sleep for 60 consecutive minutes!!
So funny (well, not really), I'll be on my own for this too.
Good luck! If you need to talk or want to get our highly contagious kids together I'm sure we could work something out.

- Krista

#17 of 87 Old 04-13-2009, 03:43 PM

Really? DS has his birthday party this weekend and then another one the first weekend of May..
#18 of 87 Old 04-13-2009, 03:47 PM

A question for those much more knowledgable than myself. There's a chance (small) that I'm pregnant. I've had pox. Is it safe for me to bring my 2 year old by?
#19 of 87 Old 04-13-2009, 04:50 PM

Looks like the baby has it too. 2 on her head, 1 on her back, 1 on her bottom...2 already have the droplets.

#20 of 87 Old 04-13-2009, 05:35 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
: I'm SO irrationally angry that my littlest has a snotty nose. I REALLY wanted pox.

that just sounds like something a MEAN mommy would say.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#21 of 87 Old 04-13-2009, 07:14 PM

Oh please let more kids get the pox! I need to expose my kids but can't until after the 27th!!!!!!!!!!!! Pass it around ya'll! Don't let it stop!
#22 of 87 Old 04-13-2009, 07:47 PM

it looks like there's lots of possibilities for exposure now, and hopefully a few weeks from now. our first exposure at Jessica's didn't take (maybe just past the contagion period?), and we're moving May 1st, so I'll have to see what's happening after that. Thanks for spreading the love so far & wide, people!

Danielle, mommy to Dylan 9.5.06 and Cooper 3.11.10 , living in Providence, RI
#23 of 87 Old 04-13-2009, 08:27 PM

We might have it here. I'm in Boston (JP), btw. DD has a spot on her back, near her eye, and now one on her upper thigh. They don't seem to be bothering her at all and look like small bug bites to me. So far no blistering or anything like that. DD is notorious for having skin issues, though, so I'm not exactly getting my hopes up. Still, I'll check her out in the morning and if she has more, or if it's glaringly obvious, I'll be sure to update.
#24 of 87 Old 04-13-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchChild View Post
A question for those much more knowledgable than myself. There's a chance (small) that I'm pregnant. I've had pox. Is it safe for me to bring my 2 year old by?
Likely you're fine....
I had an oppt'y when I was pregnant, and I had my titers tested. If you've had a blood test run, you might already have that information, but I felt more comfortable having it checked-- although we ended up not exposing ds then anyways because he ended up with a cold. I also wanted to double check it because I had a mild case of chicken pox, and some people do get it twice.

The information my midwife gave me, along with the titers showing immunity, made me feel comfortable, but sometimes I hear that the titers are not always accurate, etc.. so I'd check it out till you feel comfortable.

I think it also depends what trimester you are in, and I cna't remember that info now

Jessica

Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#25 of 87 Old 04-13-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcleary17 View Post
. our first exposure at Jessica's didn't take (maybe just past the contagion period?), and we're moving May 1st, so I'll have to see what's happening after that. Thanks for spreading the love so far & wide, people!
I guess it's just luck or not. You were there at the right time... mamom was there later that same day. One from the next day ended up with it too.

We really need to be conducting some sort of scientific experiment to see what works best, lol. So far the harmonica/kazoos seem to be a good bet although it could just be shared sippies.

Jessica

#26 of 87 Old 04-13-2009, 10:17 PM

i think MAMom was there the day before--i came on saturday, i think she was on Friday (i had emailed MAMom when i saw that they caught it from your house.)
that's great that someone on Saturday came down with it too. that may mean that the cold Dylan had was somewhat due to the cp...every exposure helps!

Danielle, mommy to Dylan 9.5.06 and Cooper 3.11.10 , living in Providence, RI
#27 of 87 Old 04-14-2009, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessjgh1 View Post
I guess it's just luck or not. You were there at the right time... mamom was there later that same day. One from the next day ended up with it too.

We really need to be conducting some sort of scientific experiment to see what works best, lol. So far the harmonica/kazoos seem to be a good bet although it could just be shared sippies.

Jessica
My kids were not into sharing instruments or toys, but we sure got them. What they did share was straws from a glass of water, playdough, and I'd brought a bag of popcorn so they'd have to rummage their hands around in the bag together to get it out (and then back and forth from the mouth, etc).

Of course the baby did none of that, so go figure. The most she did was put a dinosaur and train in her mouth.

And the 2yo is still asleep...actually I hear him upstairs now...off to check him out!

#28 of 87 Old 04-14-2009, 08:04 AM

Pay no attention to my post. tee hee

#29 of 87 Old 04-14-2009, 08:19 AM

Huh, I included my number in the email...I'll send another one...

#30 of 87 Old 04-14-2009, 08:25 AM

How's everyone doing?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page