Anyone use Bea Artz as a midwife? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-14-2009, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi ladies
Have any of you used Bea Artz as a homebirth midwife? If so would you be so kind as to elaborate on your experience?
Thank you,
Kerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 04-14-2009, 07:41 PM

I've used and am using Bea currently. What is it you want to know? I would highly recommend her to anyone.

Jessie. Mama to bikenew.gif(7) : broc1.gif(4) and : toddler.gif22 mo 

#3 of 12 Old 04-15-2009, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your response. I was hoping to find someone who has used her. She has been recommended to me by someone who has not used her personally and I was hoping to get a feel for others who have.
Thanks!
#4 of 12 Old 01-10-2010, 12:41 AM

Bea Artz assisted my midwife last year at our daughter's birth. She was fabulous; VERY intuitive. She even came back the next day to our house to help me with nursing, eventhough she wasn't my main midwife. Loved her!
#5 of 12 Old 01-09-2012, 06:10 PM

Never thoght I'd hear that name again. (Ran across her last name inquiring about a charity I think is a wonderful thing.) I was spared the experience,but foolishly asked her to be our back-up if our midwife, who had just become a CNM, and was about to make us her second home-birth clients, could not be there for some unexpected reason. She stood up and announced at a meeting of empirical midwives AND CNM's, some of whom were not Christians, and several of whom didnot do homebirths,(and she knew this) that there was a new midwife who was also a CNM doing home births! I cannot just assume that her motives were pure. Especially since I'd met her about two years before at a home birth support group meeting a friend was hosting.She was apparently annoyed that I'd encouraged her client,who told me she was asthmatic during a phone call, to use her inhaler if she needed it because oxygen deprivation had worse consequences than the side effects of Albuterol. We came in as genuinely happy as anyone could be, glad to bethere, and happy to meet this supposedly loving, great woman one other person I'd never met had spoken so highly of, and my smiling countenance was met with a look that could curdle lemon juice and the demeanor to match. Unless you submit to the point of open adoration, WATCH YOUR STEP. Better yet, find a midwife through the Seventh-day Adventists, ormaybe an old-time Baptist fromthe southern U.S.

#6 of 12 Old 01-16-2012, 03:20 PM

wow.

#7 of 12 Old 01-18-2012, 12:47 AM

Whaaat???confused.gif

#8 of 12 Old 01-18-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Boudicca~ View Post

Whaaat???confused.gif

Totally. Gotta love that for a first post.
#9 of 12 Old 01-18-2012, 12:02 PM

lol I know.  'Cuz you know, southern New England is totally swarming with midwives from the south, particularly Baptist ones.

Maybe she just posted to the wrong thread by accident.  It gave me a chuckle though ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monocyte View Post

Totally. Gotta love that for a first post.

#10 of 12 Old 01-25-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilliannaregal View Post

Never thoght I'd hear that name again. (Ran across her last name inquiring about a charity I think is a wonderful thing.) I was spared the experience,but foolishly asked her to be our back-up if our midwife, who had just become a CNM, and was about to make us her second home-birth clients, could not be there for some unexpected reason. She stood up and announced at a meeting of empirical midwives AND CNM's, some of whom were not Christians, and several of whom didnot do homebirths,(and she knew this) that there was a new midwife who was also a CNM doing home births! I cannot just assume that her motives were pure. Especially since I'd met her about two years before at a home birth support group meeting a friend was hosting.She was apparently annoyed that I'd encouraged her client,who told me she was asthmatic during a phone call, to use her inhaler if she needed it because oxygen deprivation had worse consequences than the side effects of Albuterol. We came in as genuinely happy as anyone could be, glad to bethere, and happy to meet this supposedly loving, great woman one other person I'd never met had spoken so highly of, and my smiling countenance was met with a look that could curdle lemon juice and the demeanor to match. Unless you submit to the point of open adoration, WATCH YOUR STEP. Better yet, find a midwife through the Seventh-day Adventists, ormaybe an old-time Baptist fromthe southern U.S.

I am not sure I understand what this post is saying at all. 

Jessie. Mama to bikenew.gif(7) : broc1.gif(4) and : toddler.gif22 mo 

#11 of 12 Old 01-30-2012, 02:57 PM

Bea was recommended to my through multiple doulas that I network with, however I'm a surrogate and my IP's are not comfortable with homebirth, therefore we are going through the midwife-run birth center in Danbury. 

#12 of 12 Old 02-09-2012, 01:36 PM

Hey. (That's Appalachian for 'Hello'.) 

My post seemed a little vague when I reread it, and the "Whaaaat?" appropriate.

For clarification's sake: although I was a committed Christian, Bea and I just didn't hit it off, and I was a little...unsettled by her surface and very forced smiling entusiasm that was a thin facade for a sourness that didn't take long to surface. We were mutually uncomfortable for reasons I'm not entirelly sure were either party's fault directly; maybe just chemistry and the innumerable complexities that make up  human beings in her and us clashing instead of clicking. We found (providentially blessed no doubt) a midwife of 30 plus years' experience, a 7th-Day Adventist, a truly amazing woman. 

A few years later we needeed a midwife again, but she was out of the country on a missionary trip and we found someone recommended by her, the aforementioned CNM. All was well until I asked her if she'd mind if we invited Bea to be our backup, and she said fine, having met Bea once, or spoken with her, or such. (As y'all (that's Southern for 'you:  all or some or one) know, Connecticut is a small state and the homebirth community is pretty close.) I called Bea, who agreed, but a few weeks later I got a call from one irate CNM who said that Bea stood up at a midwives' meeting and announced that there  was a new midwife in their midst, a CNM, and she was doing home births! (The legal status of home birth at the time was 'alegal', but as some of you know the ob-gyns arent happy about it and every few years there's a fight in Hartford.) She was trying to progress slowly and hoping to build a bridge between the ob-gyns, CNms and homebirth community, and stunned that someone would put her career in possible jeopardy that way. And I, of course, was caught in the middle. This took place after Bea was annoyed that a client of hers that I'd met through a mutual friend,  and she'd asked my advice about dealing with asthma  and i told her in response to concerns she had, that Albuterol was relatively safe and far less dangerous than oxygen deprivation or the stress of worrying about it, (and yes, please move the dog, the source of the asthmatic reaction, OUTSIDE. I'd had to do the same thing, and the animals adjusted just fine.) So... having thus said, I hope everyone's fine, doing well, happily practicing midwifery, and getting along up there. Oh! If you need a midwife and find the pickins' are slim up there, call the 7th-Day Adventists. They might be able to connect you to someone or provide resources to find one!

Best to y'all,

L.A. Regal

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page