Midwives that deliver at Newport Hospital? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-02-2009, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone know of any good midwives that deliver at Newport, in Rhode Island? We are TTC soon and I really would like a midwife experience this time around! Thanks!
#2 of 8 Old 05-02-2009, 08:46 PM

There's just one midwife that attends births at Newport. Her name is Kathy Terrell (sp?). There have been mixed reviews on this board. If you search the archives you might be able to find something more helpful than this .

treehugger.gif
#3 of 8 Old 05-02-2009, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Wow is it really only Kathy? That is a shame. I wonder why not many MW deliver there? NH is baby friendly and really a great hospital to deliver at. Thanks for the post!
#4 of 8 Old 01-06-2011, 05:33 PM

Hi!  I am an Aquidneck Island native, and was curious if any midwives deliver at Newport Hospital.  (We're thinking of moving back to the area.)  We're currently outside of Boston, and I delivered my first at Mt. Auburn Hospital.  I had a fabulous experience with the Mt. Auburn Midwives.  I am hopeful to find a similar experience somewhere on the MA south coast or RI for my next.  I have a girlfriend who works as an LD nurse at Tobey Hospital under a midwife, Louise Bastarache.  She also used Louise as her midwife for her pregnancy and delivery.  I've heard only good reviews. 

I would love to hear if you found any other options in the area.  I know many women who loved their experience at Newport Hospital, but I would never want to deliver with an OB.  Thanks!

#5 of 8 Old 01-06-2011, 05:41 PM

I have attended one waterbirth at Newport Hospital, if you're looking for a waterbirth, or natural birth at Newport Hospital, Kathy Tirrel is great.  If you're looking for a warm and fuzzy midwife, you won't like her bedside manner, she's all business.  Some women like that, some don't. 

Christian SAHM & birth doula.
#6 of 8 Old 01-11-2011, 12:55 PM

Thank you!  Great tip!  I'm glad to know about her bedside manner.

#7 of 8 Old 01-12-2011, 03:07 PM

We had our first prenatal appointment with Kathy when I was pregnant with DD. DH and I both found her to be very rude and the only reason we didn't walk out of the appointment was because we were told we would be getting an u/s that day. She actually looked at my chart then asked me why we were there. After that I heard numerous stories about her all business bedside manner, but that she is also good at what she does. We still didn't go back to her because of how she made DH and I feel.

married 11/06, DD May 2009, DS  April 2011successful, natural 9lbs 6ozvbac.gif

#8 of 8 Old 01-14-2011, 08:47 AM

I'm sorry you didn't hit it off with Kathy... I really love her; she delivered my son in March.  I was high-risk, and she didn't care - she bullied my GI docs into letting me try a waterbirth despite raging a Crohn's flare (they wanted me to have a c/s), fought for me in every way possible throughout my pregnancy.  The ABC @ W&I didn't want anything to do with me.  Kathy is a non-nonsense feminist, definitely not the "earth mother" type, but she believes strongly in working for her patients' wishes, no matter what they are.  Doug Wilson (the OB, her ex and father of her 5 kids) is a trip, but if you think of him more like Dr. House, his bedside manner starts to make sense, and he can be very funny, in a sarcastic way.  Newport Hospital is such a beautiful, baby-friendly place.

I believe Kathy is the only midwife that delivers at Newport.  Have you talked to Mary Mumford Haley, or is Memorial hospital an option for you?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page