Nursing your baby when you are out and about in New England - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 68 Old 07-18-2009, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Traveling through RI and Mass I have had comments both positive and negitive but I think each time my DS is hungrey that it isnt about me or them its about him and just do it. We had a cover that we hated and we dont use it becouse in the long run I guess I dont care Every time I see a random nursing mother I probobly make her uncomfortable cuz I try to show my sapport by smiling and waving

edited to say - My DD at 3 also fakes nursing with me for comfort

Shannon : married to my love Colin Mother to Maggie-Ray(5-06)high needs Rock star and CJ(4-08) Sweet Distruction:Vegitarian BFing BWing CDing Vax reserching Viniger loving Family
#62 of 68 Old 07-19-2009, 12:23 AM

Belltree I definately have to agree with you that here in the US alot more people get hung up with anything that is or closely resembles nudity. Where other places worldwide are raised around things like this, it makes it much more easily acceptable.
I wish I was more comfortable with my own body, unfortunatley I'm not and I have to admit that especially in the warmer months even a lightweight blanket can be too warm and a pain. What's a shy girl to do??
I will be checking that article out and seeing what that's about.
#63 of 68 Old 07-20-2009, 11:05 AM

Hey Bananas,

I didn't mean to put you in the defensive position. For a European woman I am in fact on the shy site, so I sort of know where you're coming from. You've got to do, what feels right for you! But in the US, I seem to be one of these nudity loving crazy Europeans I just read a NYtimes article, where they discussed how many people find it inappropriate to have their 3year old running around the house naked. :bigeye I ran around naked in our garden in Europe until I was at least 10 or 12 years old. And we skinny dipped in my uncle's pool on family parties until much later. It is just something I will have to find a balance for: my own upbringing and values in the US. I don't want to offend anyone, nor do I want to end up in the possible child molestation corner, because we run around the house naked, even now in our 30; well, at least we put on clothes, when guests are around

Mom since Oct'09. Wife to a loving husband. Expecting a little bean in May'12

#64 of 68 Old 07-20-2009, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Amazing! there is new life to this thread.

This thread helped me considerably and since I have first post I have noticed more women nursing out and about and especially at the beach.

I think my real hang-up was not nursing in public, which I have done for what seems like a decade, but nursing in public with my own older children's friends and cohorts. I'll be in different places with this baby than I was when my older kids were littler and so I was fretting about nursing at the playground, swim practice and the like when there would be 8-10 year olds buzzing around.

It'll all work out, I'm sure. But I was reminded yesterday of how different families and different kids at different stages react to things about the body. I was at the showers at the beach and my 3 yo was naked so I could rinse him off before he got in the car. Two boys who were about 6 or 7 were laughing uproariously, an one 12 year oldish girl covered her eyes and said , "oh gross".

My sons are laid back, reasonable fellows, thank goodness. It was fuel for conversation on the way back!

Happy mom to DS2000, DS2002, DD2004, DS2006 and DS 10/2009:
#65 of 68 Old 07-23-2009, 08:25 PM

I think if anyone had the gall to give me a negative comment, I would feel free to tell them to bite me.

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09
#66 of 68 Old 07-23-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattooed Hand View Post
I think if anyone had the gall to give me a negative comment, I would feel free to tell them to bite me.

Me too!
#67 of 68 Old 07-24-2009, 09:20 PM

While I agree that the person should be told rude comments for being a *insert bad words here* its really hard ( at least for me) to act tough when Im nursing - maybe its the hormones being released? I think if I ever saw it happen to someone else I would be better equipt to pipe up . One of the times ( definitly the more hurtful time) was in the ER of Hasbro childrens hospital . I was practicly begging my DD to nurse after she had a bad reaction to her vaccines ( if only I knew then..) and a women dragged her 9ish son away saying loudly " We're going to the other waiting room if these people are going to be DISGUSTING" I wrote to Hasro saying they should put up some BFing posters or something but never saw anything.

Shannon : married to my love Colin Mother to Maggie-Ray(5-06)high needs Rock star and CJ(4-08) Sweet Distruction:Vegitarian BFing BWing CDing Vax reserching Viniger loving Family
#68 of 68 Old 08-01-2009, 12:45 AM

Breastfeeding is now legally protected in MA, so go for it! I NIP'd with both my girls whenever, wherever they needed to. And we've never had a single issue

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page