RI public schools (special needs) - Mothering Forums

#1 of 12 Old 05-27-2009, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Does your special needs child go to a public school in RI?

Do you like the school?
Have you had luck getting what your child needs on an IEP?

My son will be going into the 1st grade so I'm interested in hearing about elementary schools right now. My son is on the autism spectrum.

Thanks!

Mama, Painter, Special Needs Coordinator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 05-27-2009, 11:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My nephew is in the public system in RI... he was bussed to a special school for preschool and now is at a public elementary school. He originally diagnosed w/Austism, but through his amazing therapy and Preschool program, he was re-evaled at Asperger's, lower on the spectrum.

I am guessing that your experience will vary by city/county greatly - he is zoned for one of the nicest elementary schools in his City (John Brown in Warwick). One of my sister's other kids was having trouble there and so they did a year at Christopher Brown, but that only lasted 1 yr.

If you need more info - you can PM me and I can ask my sister. GL!

~ Professor Mama to Gabito (July '07) & Danita (April '10) ~
A PhD = + +
#3 of 12 Old 05-27-2009, 11:17 PM

Are you familiar with the Bradley School? There are 3 locations: Portsmouth, E. Providence, and South County. My DP is a psychologist there. PM me if you'd like to be in contact with him.
#4 of 12 Old 05-28-2009, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carita View Post
He originally diagnosed w/Austism spectrum, but through his amazing therapy and Preschool program, he was re-evaled at Asperger's.
Aspergers is on the autism spectrum.

#5 of 12 Old 05-30-2009, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

anyone else?

#6 of 12 Old 05-30-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post
Aspergers is on the autism spectrum.
sorry - fixed typo

my sister has also mentioned a program called Leap I think. She said it took a year to fill the paperwork. But I think the key is good advocacy for your child, wish I am sure you'll do.

~ Professor Mama to Gabito (July '07) & Danita (April '10) ~
A PhD = + +
#7 of 12 Old 05-30-2009, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Sadly, even having a good advocate isn't enough. That's why I'm looking for a better school system.

#8 of 12 Old 05-30-2009, 03:55 PM

RIPIN (the Rhode Island Parent information network) might be a good resource. They do a lot of advocacy work and stuff with special needs. Dp did their web site
They might have the low down on what you can expect from the public schools here. Quite a few people who work there are parents' with special needs kids.
Someone was telling me about the wolf school in E. Prov. being great for kids with different needs. But I think it's probably private.
RIPIN was supposed to have a discussion forum on it's web site but I don't know if that's very active (or even exists) but maybe a good place to find some people with experience.
There is also Kidoinfo which is a RI based parent resource web site where you might find some more people with experience to relate. Just ideas.
hth
#9 of 12 Old 05-31-2009, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I think this researching is going to take more time than expected.

#10 of 12 Old 06-05-2009, 09:51 AM

Ds has Asperger's and is in public school in Woonsocket.He's in one of the nicer schools,and is doing ok.I've been fighting a lot with the school.Ds needs a one on one and they are not willing to give one.I had to call in mediation,and we've compromised(for now) on him going to a regular ed classroom(he's in self contained) every day,once a day for 30-45 minutes,with the school physcologist,resource teacher,social worker,occupational therapist,and the speech therapist.They will each take him one day a week.How they figure that isn't basically the same as a one on one,I don't understand.It's been a long hard fight.This is a unique situation as they've never done this before.I'm hoping it works out,it starts in September.Right now he goes to a regular ed classroom on Fridays for science.He misses out on so much though.I truly feel the least restrictive for him is a regular ed class with a one on one.His teacher feels the same and has been urging me to fight.I love his teacher.we're really going to miss him next year.

I am afraid with this situation that he is going to lose out on his speech and occupational therapy,as them taking him to the regular class is instead of what he usually does with the therapist.It's a tough situation but I'm working on it.I'll give it a few months to see how it goes before I start pushing the one on one again.

Student mama to one awesome,talented and unique dd,15 and one amazing, sweet and strong ds,12(born with heart defect Tetralogy of Fallot,also on the autism spectrum),9 cats,and 2 gerbils.
#11 of 12 Old 06-08-2009, 08:28 PM

Hi --

I am also in RI and will be sending DD to The Wolf School in the fall. I have my fingers crossed that it will help.

I am entering the whole special needs system rather late in the game, it seems. DD has ADHD and sensory integration disorder. Has been in regular preschools but is struggling with them. We just got diagnoses in the last couple of weeks -- and this is the last week of school, and the school systems shut down.

On advice of private psychologist we called The Groden Center and The Providence Center. Both told us that you need to go through your local school system, hav eyour kid evaluated, and fight, fight, fight to have the school system say that they can't serve your kid and they need to be in a therepeutic school. Then the school system pay to place your clid there.

They are serious about the fight though. I reccomend getting a private psychologist to eval your kid (not as expensive as you think, ours was totally free- our insurance paid it all) plus there are people who are professional advocates who will help navigate the IEPs and 504s, etc. etc. for you and help you get what you think is best for your kid. I don't know how much those folks charge, but it would be so so worth it, even if it was $500 or something.

Depending on where you live, you school system is either broke or in the hole, and they don't want to pay this extra money. However, I just read in the paper that they are getting stimulus money for exactly this purpose, so get your chunk!!!

Let me know how it goes, if you want I can give you the psychologist's name.

(also a mom to Roo)
#12 of 12 Old 06-08-2009, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

My son has been evaluated by a neuro psych in Providence (Neuro Development Center). It cost $2000.

My lease is almost up so I think I'm just going to renew for another year and hope for the best.

I'll keep looking into RI though (as a backup).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page