MA Midwifery Action - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-01-2009, 02:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok Ladies...let's help get CPM services get paid for by Medicaid - which means Mass Health would have to cover CPM's... :
__________________________________________________ ______

Hello friends,

As some of you may already know The Big Push for Midwives just had an amazingly successful week in Washington DC. We had many meetings with key legislators and have an opportunity to be added to an extended list of Medicaid providers in the draft health care bill in the Senate. But we need your support!

Scroll down for a template letter to Senator John Kerry along with suggestions about what to say. Senator Kerry's staff need to hear from their constituents (anyone from MA). I will be putting a packet together so please send letters directly to me copied into an email.

Thursday, June 4th is the deadline for sending me your letters.

Letters should be sent to:

[email protected]

Brielle Epstein,
Director of Federal Advocacy
The Big Push for Midwives Campaign

Please insert the date, your name and address here followed by:

The Honorable John Kerry
United States Senate
218 Russell Bldg.
Second Floor
Washington D.C. 20510

Dear Senator Kerry:

First Step:
I am writing to discuss the importance of including Certified Professional Midwives, who are specially trained as experts in out-of-hospital maternity care and deliver babies in private homes and in freestanding birth centers, in health care reform.

Next Step:

Pick one or two points to include in your own words:

Research consistently shows that low-risk women planning to deliver their babies at home under the care of Certified Professional Midwives experience outcomes equal to low-risk women who deliver in the hospital, but with far fewer costly and preventable interventions, including a five-fold decrease in cesarean section.

Babies delivered under the care of Certified Professional Midwives have significantly reduced rates of prematurity and low-birth weight, two of the leading contributing factors to racial and ethnic disparities in birth outcomes and to the costs associated with long-term care.

The state of Washington reports a savings of $3.1 million dollars over a period of two years to the state Medicaid system when women experiencing healthy, low-risk pregnancies give birth with licensed midwives instead of in the hospital.

The recent Milbank Report conservatively estimates savings of $2.5 billion dollars a year if the cesarean surgery rate is brought down to 15% in the U.S.

David Anderson, Professor of Economics at Center College with a specialization in the costs of out-of-hospital maternity care calculates that including CPMs and of out-of-hospital birthing services in Medicaid and other plans would result in savings of $9.1 billion annually, while actually improving outcomes.

Certified Professional Midwives s are the only providers specially trained in out-of-hospital birth in the event that hospitals become unsafe for healthy pregnant women during a disaster.

Briefly talk about your own experience with a midwife if you are a consumer

Final Step:

Ask Senator Kerry to support the addition of "Certified Professional Midwives" to the expanded list of Medicaid providers listed in Section IV, page 24 of The Senate Finance Committee's policy document entitled, "Description of Policy Options, Expanding Health Care Coverage: Proposals to Provide Affordable Coverage to All Americans” and thank him for his time and consideration. Please use the exact language in bold so that it is very clear where we are asking to be added.

<And please sign your letter!>

Thank you to everyone who is reaching out—it only takes a few minutes but it is so very helpful. We are making amazing progress in DC and now is not the time to let up! So please forward this to family and friends who can help, and thank you for doing your part to get CPMs and OOH maternity care included in health care reform.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 06-01-2009, 10:11 AM

Paige, thanks for this. Do you know how she intends for us to "sign" our emailed letters?

I am confused how to do it correctly.

Thanks!

::: Just another WAHM using this forum to put off picking up toys and cleaning my house.
#3 of 9 Old 06-01-2009, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Just your usual...

Sincerely,

Paige (or full name)

or, instead of writing your name & addy at the top above Kerry's, I always put mine after the sign-off...

Sincerely,

Paige

Paige Eastman Dickinson, CPM
My addy
My Town, MA Zip
My phone
My website (because it is relevant for this purpose in my case)

PS I would also make sure I put in the subject line of the email somethink like "Certified Professional Midwives on the Medicaid Provider List"
#4 of 9 Old 06-05-2009, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

I am bumping this because we have only gotten 12 letters and we need at least 30 to go down to the office on the Hill, 50 to make a big splash...so I have been told.

So I am asking again if you could just take a few min to cut and paste a letter together... We have to be in the game to win the game...let's try to get our homebirths covered!! Let's try to open up the homebirth opportunities to families of all income levels. THanks so much!!
#5 of 9 Old 06-05-2009, 04:56 PM

Oh, will hopefully get this later today... I totally missed the deadline posted.

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#6 of 9 Old 06-05-2009, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

The deadline has changed so that we can get more letters. We will deliver them on Tuesday now.

Thanks so much Jessica!! :
#7 of 9 Old 06-09-2009, 05:54 PM

it's tuesday! just saw this now!!! is it too late?

fuzmalesling.giffemalesling2.GIF mama to my spunky little girl, m, born 12/10/07 blahblah.gif, and my sweet little guy, k, born 10/27/10 babyf.gif
nocirc.gif familybed2.gif cd.gif homebirth.jpg nak.gif
#8 of 9 Old 06-09-2009, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

No it is not, the meeting should actually be tomorrow so if you send it off tonight they should be printing them in the morning.

Thanks sooooo much!!!
#9 of 9 Old 06-09-2009, 07:02 PM

good to know! i shared it at http://mfomnews.wordpress.com to help spread the word!

fuzmalesling.giffemalesling2.GIF mama to my spunky little girl, m, born 12/10/07 blahblah.gif, and my sweet little guy, k, born 10/27/10 babyf.gif
nocirc.gif familybed2.gif cd.gif homebirth.jpg nak.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page