Gathering of the Vibes and Newport Folk Fest - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 06-01-2009, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi~
Does anyone have any experience with the Gathering of the Vibes or Newport Folk Fests? We would like to go with our two daughters (ages 3 and 1) but just moved out East and aren't sure how family friendly the gatherings are. Is there any shade in the performance areas? A family camping area? Do many families attend? How close to the Gathering to the city of Bridgeport?

Also, any other summer festival suggestions? Anything like the Oregon Country Fair here?
Thank you!
#2 of 14 Old 06-02-2009, 01:31 PM

we've done the folk every year since my daughter was a few months old. it's very family friendly. there are always tons of little ones on the move and in arms and shady tents.

great line-up this year too!
#3 of 14 Old 06-02-2009, 06:25 PM

We've always wanted to. Very interested in info too.
I'm pretty sure there is a lot of camping. A friend of mine used to go with her fam as a young teen and her mom was super protective so I would think there wouldn't be lots of drunken, riotous stuff going on, but I have no experience with it.
#4 of 14 Old 06-02-2009, 08:26 PM

The Newport Folk Fest is very family friendly. I went 2 summers ago. They actually section off the drinking area to a pier (or at least they did at the one I went to) You can only drink on the pier, and then the rest of the area in front of the stage is a bunch of blankets, and camps people set up. LOTS of little ones running around.

Momma to Samuel Wyatt 8/15/09 and our new addition Jack 9/25/11!   mdcblog5.gif  winner.jpgcd.gif

#5 of 14 Old 06-02-2009, 11:41 PM

You might want to check this out, which is less about dance than it might seem...

http://www.dne.org/camp/2009/
#6 of 14 Old 06-03-2009, 06:51 AM

I've heard gotv is very family friendly. It has a family only camping area. I am jealous- I really wanted to go this year!
#7 of 14 Old 06-03-2009, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone!

Sounds like both festivals are a good bet for our family. Yay!!
#8 of 14 Old 06-03-2009, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsmama307 View Post
You might want to check this out, which is less about dance than it might seem...

http://www.dne.org/camp/2009/
Interesting. Is this something you have participated in? Is it all ages?
#9 of 14 Old 06-03-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
we've done the folk every year since my daughter was a few months old. it's very family friendly. there are always tons of little ones on the move and in arms and shady tents.

great line-up this year too!
hey danielle! nice to see you! congrats on your new little one!!!

the rhythm and roots festival is nice too. i haven't actually been with my kids but dh and i used to go years ago and there were always a lot of families with little ones there!
#10 of 14 Old 06-03-2009, 06:04 PM

MY dh was talking to a friend of his that has something to do with gotv. He said that there was def. a family camping site and family friendly areas.
We are thinking of going on Saturady as that is when RatDog is playing and Max Creek.

Me and Dh partners.gif, Dd1bouncy.gif  Dd2dust.gif,Ds1joy.gif, 2flowerkitty.gif, 2hamster.jpgand lots of goldfish.gif

#11 of 14 Old 06-04-2009, 01:51 AM

When I was younger we used to hit Camp Creek every year ! but I couldnt imagine taking my munchkins there - tho some did . Its nice to hear gotvs is more fam freindly :

Shannon : married to my love Colin Mother to Maggie-Ray(5-06)high needs Rock star and CJ(4-08) Sweet Distruction:Vegitarian BFing BWing CDing Vax reserching Viniger loving Family
#12 of 14 Old 06-05-2009, 08:13 PM

The vibes always has tons of kids and babes. They offer a family camping area as well that tends to be a (little) quieter as the night goes on.

The Newport Folk Fest is very family friendly as well. Much quieter scene. I tend to do this one without the kiddo just because I like the time away but I always see little ones there. (Bring sunscreen!)

Have fun!

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#13 of 14 Old 06-05-2009, 08:27 PM

We did Camp Creek for 7 years in a row with kids- everyone was so respectful of the kids! Now that my children are older, I dont think Id take them (at their ages and stages). But there is always "Family Camping"- at GOTV too. There's a kid friendly tent too. We have always had great times at these events with the kids. I always made sure to be very prepared with emergency stuff and tagged my kids too lol. Lots of sunscreen and rain gear.

Christine. Unschooling mom to Hollis, Zobey, Zeda, Anna, and Wednesday. We have a lot invested in this whole family thing with marriage kids and a mortgage. You don't just give up on the whole deal when it gets difficult.
#14 of 14 Old 06-23-2009, 12:11 AM

Hi - we've been to GOTV a few times now - twice at the current location in CT and once here in NY. We have ALWAYS had an awesome time there. The variety of music is wonderful, but it's the PEEEEEOPLE who make it awesome! Everyone is very kid friendly, and there are loads of things for them to do. Beach, vibe wash, bubbles, drums, people watching (puppets, costumes etc.) it's like a great huge circus!

It's all but IN the city, the park is right along the Eastern edge, on the beach. There is even a beach stage that is free for Bridgeport residents, though they can not enter the other stage areas w/out tix/bracelet. There IS family camping, and RV camping too (separate). We bought tix this year, but can't go. If anyone wants to purchase our RV pass at cost ($200 for Thurs -> Sun), email me newandytree@gmail.com and we can talk. Our other tix are sold already.

I do highly recommend this event - the tunes, the peeps, the vibes are AWESOME! My kids are so sad we can't go (I am too, but the timing sucks for us this year).

Mama to B and O , wife to J and me to me! :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page