Montessori or Waldorf Part time Pre-K in RI?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 06-22-2009, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi galls,

I truly like the Montessori programs and have also heard great things about Waldorf so those are first on my list verses a more mainstream prek. I am looking to send my DD to a VERY part time Preschool 1-2 half days each week and am having a hard time finding a program that I like that will allow me to do such a short session. Does anyone know of any around the RI area? I want her to understand what a "real" school environment is and also learn how to interact with children. Playgroups are just not filling that need as I hoped they would since she is shy and much rather play on her own than with the other children espeically if mommies lap is available.

We currenly do a half day program at Wonder Junction in Warwick which sadly is closing this week. This was just perfect for her and she did not mind at all that I left and ran errans while she was in school and looked forward to going each week. We are planning to home school when the time comes but I am hoping that with just a bit of structured prek she will come to understand what "real" school is like and that at home we also have to do some studies as well.

Mountain Biking bikenew.gifMama of 3 little beans, .      Epumped 1pump.gif 22mths for dd1 (2006) notes.gif
Nursed fly-by-nursing1.gifmy homebirth.jpg babe, dd2 (2008) until self weaned at 3yrsbouncy.gif. We survived a major nursing strike.

Awesome homebirth.jpg for Baby #3 who turned out to be a babygirl.gif (Aug 2013)!   

#2 of 24 Old 06-23-2009, 08:48 AM

I've been researching this lately and it looks like part time is usually 3 days a week from around 8 - 12. I haven't seen anything less than that in the RI Montessori schools. Have not looked at Waldorf. Good luck!
#3 of 24 Old 06-23-2009, 11:01 AM

I think almost any montessori program you will find will be at least 3 half days. I'm pretty sure both the ones in Providence are 5 half days!!
There is one waldorf school that I know of in RI and that is the Meadowbrook school which I think offers 3 days for your dd's age.
You might look at Reggio Emilio and Enki as other cool alternative type schools. Often schools are Reggio "inspired" or something like that.
I believe there is an Enki preschool in Prov.

We have been really happy with our ds's coop preschool which is child led, play based. I think there are lots of play based preschools around and if you like the teachers and the space they can be great too. Just as parents who were initially attracted to montessori and waldorf as well we found ds's' play based coop to be wonderful.
Every preschool I've seen has had a set amount of days needed to participate, usually 2-3, but I've looked solely in Providence.
good luck finding what you want!!
#4 of 24 Old 06-23-2009, 08:41 PM

The Brown Play School in Rumford offers two half days for three-year olds. Their program is based on the Reggio philosophy - they even have a full-time art teacher!

treehugger.gif
#5 of 24 Old 06-23-2009, 10:26 PM

I would suggest looking into a co-op preschool as well for that amount of preschool. We are homeschoolers and our boys did a co-op preschool and loved it! I liked that the parents participated so much and they were surrounded by loving, caring adults when I wasn't around. We *almost* did one of the co-ops on the eastside but the price difference (from west coast co-ops) was just ridiculous out here and we didn't feel it was that worth it as a homeschooling family. But our experience at our play based co-op was great and playing 3 days a week at only 90 bucks a month it was SO worth it!

Are you on SOS yet? Many homeschoolers get together and form co-op preschool enviornments...we are actually forming a homeschool co-op now (not SOS..but homeschoolers from around the state) and I know there is an interest for the preschool aged homeschoolers/siblings as well. I'm curious to know why you feel she needs to be in a class setting to understand what school is like in order to homeschool?
#6 of 24 Old 06-24-2009, 12:42 AM

LJ- I'm glad you posted about the co-op we are trying to form I sure hope we get a big turn out!

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#7 of 24 Old 06-24-2009, 04:13 PM

Hope I'm not poaching here but, does anyone know of like a general list of play based pre-schools in the state, including co-op? A list that covers all the methods, not just one in particular?
#8 of 24 Old 06-24-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberoxy View Post
Hope I'm not poaching here but, does anyone know of like a general list of play based pre-schools in the state, including co-op? A list that covers all the methods, not just one in particular?
The only list I have seen is on KidoInfo. That link is more how to choose preschools and what to look for but at the bottom there is a list of preschools and co-ops. There are only 4 co-ops listed but I know of one more in Wakefield (Village Co-op Nursery School) and (Covenant Co-op) in Riverside. And that's about it for the entire state (which is SO weird to me since I used to live near 6 of them in a 3 mile radius). But there are 2 near you...in Barrington and Riverside

Jojo...where did E used to go?
#9 of 24 Old 06-24-2009, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Juice View Post
Are you on SOS yet? Many homeschoolers get together and form co-op preschool enviornments...we are actually forming a homeschool co-op now (not SOS..but homeschoolers from around the state) and I know there is an interest for the preschool aged homeschoolers/siblings as well. I'm curious to know why you feel she needs to be in a class setting to understand what school is like in order to homeschool?
Ok I feel sooo GREEN! What is SOS I know I have heard the term before but the meaning escapes me. Also I live out in the BOONIES, out in Coventry so finding something within a 30min drive would be amazing, that basically puts me in the Warwick, Coventry, West Greenwich, Exeter, North Kingstown, parts of East Greenwich, and a bit of Northern RI along Route 102. I would rather not drive more than that on a regular basis but if the group was great I would be willing.
Oh got to run, chat more later
Andrea

Mountain Biking bikenew.gifMama of 3 little beans, .      Epumped 1pump.gif 22mths for dd1 (2006) notes.gif
Nursed fly-by-nursing1.gifmy homebirth.jpg babe, dd2 (2008) until self weaned at 3yrsbouncy.gif. We survived a major nursing strike.

Awesome homebirth.jpg for Baby #3 who turned out to be a babygirl.gif (Aug 2013)!   

#10 of 24 Old 06-25-2009, 01:36 AM

LJ- E went to Knotty Pine in Seekonk off of 152, a great "little" private pre-school. They have been in business for many, many years (around 50?) & family owned. Not 100% play based because they do learning "exercises" (kind of like work book pages, lots of coloring and practicing writing #'s and ABC's) along with music, cute little projects and play time out doors. It's in a very quiet neighborhood, you can't see the playground from the street (I liked that), behind The Good Seed.

The Co-op we are in the works of trying to start will be all over the state in regional chapters, non-religous but, one of them will be pretty close to you Andrea, West Greenwhich, same exit as you but taking a left instead of a right.

SOS is Secular in the Ocean State- it's a yahoo group.

#11 of 24 Old 06-25-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerALM View Post
Ok I feel sooo GREEN! What is SOS I know I have heard the term before but the meaning escapes me. Also I live out in the BOONIES, out in Coventry so finding something within a 30min drive would be amazing, that basically puts me in the Warwick, Coventry, West Greenwich, Exeter, North Kingstown, parts of East Greenwich, and a bit of Northern RI along Route 102. I would rather not drive more than that on a regular basis but if the group was great I would be willing.
Oh got to run, chat more later
Andrea
I've only been in RI a year...and on SOS as long..and I have seen quite a few hs'ers in all of those areas. I think you'll def find some "near" you (for RI standards, anyway, meaning not in your neighborhood..but w/in driving distance ). And there are homeschoolers in CT near you as well

SOS is the largest homeschool group list in the state. It is great for connecting to others near you and for questions about hs'ing in the state of RI, as there are many experienced, seasoned homeschool parents on the list. The group Jojo and I are with is working together to form a co-op. Our next meeting is July 8th..still working on location..but hoping for the library in Warwick. Once it's set in stone I will be posting it to the local tribe in hopes to get more families to join us and help make this co-op a reality for homeschoolers across the state.
#12 of 24 Old 06-25-2009, 08:12 PM

Thanks LJ!!!
#13 of 24 Old 06-26-2009, 10:07 AM

my kids attend a really lovely waldorf-inspired nursery school in kingston. (it's in someone's home/garden.) probably too far for you, but it sounds like just what you are looking for.

i also just came across a nature-based nursery school in richmond (saw a flier at the library) that looks great. (they have a website...i'll post it as soon as i can find where i jotted it down.)

also...my friend visited this daycare/preschool in cranston and absolutely loved it: http://www.learningbrooke.com/

kids need me....
#14 of 24 Old 06-26-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmama View Post
my kids attend a really lovely waldorf-inspired nursery school in kingston. (it's in someone's home/garden.) probably too far for you, but it sounds like just what you are looking for.

i also just came across a nature-based nursery school in richmond (saw a flier at the library) that looks great. (they have a website...i'll post it as soon as i can find where i jotted it down.)

also...my friend visited this daycare/preschool in cranston and absolutely loved it: http://www.learningbrooke.com/

kids need me....
That place looks great!!! Thanks for posting

#15 of 24 Old 06-26-2009, 02:29 PM

We used to live down the street from that place. I never looked at them (we attempted a drop off program for 2 days before we knew it wasn't a fit for our family) but I know the location well and didn't like the no trees/natural outdoor play area..or lack of, really. But inside looks great from that site!

It still baffles my mind that it is so hard to find anything in this state. I need to get over it, I know!
#16 of 24 Old 06-26-2009, 03:58 PM

RI is a very small state and the needs of the population are different than what you are used to perhaps.
For example, both coop preschools in providence had trouble making enrollment last year. Though they are typically able to fill up.
Since we've moved here though we've found that RI has a lot to offer, partly through new things starting and just being able to find the stuff that's here.
My sil lives on the west coast and they have a waldorf charter school and a homeschool coop school, like an actual building, in her none too large city, which I think is great! So I think there is a difference in what's out there, what's going on here.
#17 of 24 Old 06-27-2009, 10:31 PM

We moved here recently and went through this whole process too. I searched using the NAEYC website and found only a very few PT programs.

Part of the Montessori philosophy is the 5-day-a-week thing. Child's Play and the Eastside Nursery school are two co-ops that do PT mornings, both on the east side of Providence.

J
#18 of 24 Old 07-01-2009, 11:34 PM

I've been exploring Montessori options but there doesn't seem to be a lot of info online. Does anyone know where to research Montessori programs in RI?

Julie, proud graduate of the AOW 3 year program in the study of boobology . Me : + DH : = Super Bubba !
#19 of 24 Old 07-02-2009, 09:56 AM

Another thing I thought of (sorry if it's already been mentioned) is that the waldorf school (meadowbrook) does parent/ child groups one morning a week. OP, your dd may be too old, I can't remember if it's for pre-preschool. But it's a great way to see if waldorf is good for your family. We did it with ds and while we loved it, we knew that we couldn't handle doing the whole waldorf experience beyond maybe preschool. I personally think it's very intense.

The three montessori programs in the Providence area are Ocean State (which goes up to middle school) and the Montessori children's house and Angel Care.
I've seen them lots of places though so if you live somewhere else there might be one close by.
#20 of 24 Old 07-02-2009, 12:30 PM

:

Shannon : married to my love Colin Mother to Maggie-Ray(5-06)high needs Rock star and CJ(4-08) Sweet Distruction:Vegitarian BFing BWing CDing Vax reserching Viniger loving Family
#21 of 24 Old 07-02-2009, 03:15 PM

I used to work at Ocean State Montessori and I would definitely send my child there if I lived close enough.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#22 of 24 Old 07-05-2009, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for all the info! now I need to take notes and organize this so I can start to make some phone calls. DD1's one day a week morning preschool just ended 2 weeks ago and I would love for her to continue throughout the summer so finding something now would be great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Juice View Post
The group Jojo and I are with is working together to form a co-op. Our next meeting is July 8th..still working on location..but hoping for the library in Warwick. Once it's set in stone I will be posting it to the local tribe in hopes to get more families to join us and help make this co-op a reality for homeschoolers across the state.
Please Keep me posted I would love to be involved with the organization of the co-op! July 8th works for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantmama View Post
Another thing I thought of (sorry if it's already been mentioned) is that the waldorf school (meadowbrook) does parent/ child groups one morning a week. OP, your dd may be too old, I can't remember if it's for pre-preschool. But it's a great way to see if waldorf is good for your family. We did it with ds and while we loved it, we knew that we couldn't handle doing the whole waldorf experience beyond maybe preschool. I personally think it's very intense.
I will have to call on that! THANKS!

#23 of 24 Old 07-06-2009, 02:04 PM

I posted a new thread with the co-op details. It will be on Wed, July 8th from 6:30pm until 8:30pm at the Warwick Library, small meeting room in the Central Library location. Hope you can make it!
#24 of 24 Old 04-09-2012, 06:01 PM

" The first time her laughter unfurled its wings in the wind, we knew that the world would never be the same." Greta 2/07 and Tallulah 12/09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page