Help! Just found out I'm pregnant and need some advice - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-11-2009, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a son who JUST turned 1 two weeks ago and we are pregnant again! It wasn't really planned and I just moved to the area. I am still breastfeeding, but had some preterm contractions with my son at 19 weeks, so I'm nervous.

Do you have ANY suggestions of good OBs or midwives who will support my breastfeeding throughout my pregnant. I live in the western suburbs of Boston.

Thank you in advance. I'm slightly freaking out!
#2 of 6 Old 07-11-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTnurse View Post
I have a son who JUST turned 1 two weeks ago and we are pregnant again! It wasn't really planned and I just moved to the area. I am still breastfeeding, but had some preterm contractions with my son at 19 weeks, so I'm nervous.

Do you have ANY suggestions of good OBs or midwives who will support my breastfeeding throughout my pregnant. I live in the western suburbs of Boston.

If you were planning on a hospital birth, you could start by seeing the midwives at Newton Wellesley Hospital. Their offices for appts are at Women's Health Associates.

I have found that all of the midwives practicing there are wonderful women.

::: Just another WAHM using this forum to put off picking up toys and cleaning my house.
#3 of 6 Old 07-11-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTnurse View Post

I would try your local La Leche League leader. I went to a meeting while pregnant - haven't been since I've had my son, but haven't needed any help/support, either. That meeting I attended really helped me get used to the LLL idea, and I know that is the first place I would ask for any BF advice.

http://www.llleus.org/state/Massachusetts.html

They don't post email addresses, but they do post their phone numbers & really do encourage women to call the leaders ANY time. I don't think they're kidding about that, so go ahead & call & ask or attend a meeting (the one I went to people brought both their babies & their toddlers). i had heard they are a bit militant, but I found them to be a friendly, respectful group of people.

The LLL mtg I attended (in Stow) was led by a lactation consultant, and they had all sorts of helpful advice regarding hospitals & breastfeeding - they should be able to help you find some OBs to try in your immediate area. I didn't want to travel far to get to my OB/hospital - and good thing, too: my 1st child was a fast labor/delivery. If I had chosen somewhere further away, I would have been in trouble.

The only other place I could think of is Mothers & Company in Boylston, MA (if they are near you). That's where I found my doula's info. They have all sorts of great information on hand & have lots of contacts for the Worcester, MA area (although my doula lives in Sudbury, so their reach is fairly far).
#4 of 6 Old 07-11-2009, 08:18 PM

If you wouldn't mind a male OB, I highly recommend Dr Robert Gottlieb at Southboro Medical Group in Framingham. Normally, I'd NEVER go to a man but he was so highly recommended by my natural mama friends.

He really was amazing. He believes in doing things as naturally as possible. He's very gentle and soft spoken. He sits with you at his desk to chat before each appt to find out how you're doing on a more personal level (I found it helped me to relax.)

The one negative thing about that practice is that when he was on vacation, I got a different male OB who I'd never met for the actual birth.
So, I would ask about who's on call for him if he's unavailable.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#5 of 6 Old 07-14-2009, 10:30 AM

I don't agree at all with Daughterofkali about Dr.Gottlieb. I don't want to discuss him on a public board. But I have had extensive expirence with him.

I have worked with MANY great midwives at Newton-Wellesley that are very supportive and willing to think outside the box. The two sets of midwives are Women's Health Assoc and Harvard Vangaurd, both groups have offices in Wellesley.
#6 of 6 Old 07-14-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetrowestMidwife View Post
I don't agree at all with Daughterofkali about Dr.Gottlieb. I don't want to discuss him on a public board. But I have had extensive expirence with him.

I have worked with MANY great midwives at Newton-Wellesley that are very supportive and willing to think outside the box. The two sets of midwives are Women's Health Assoc and Harvard Vangaurd, both groups have offices in Wellesley.
My first reply was removed because I violated the healthcare provider policy. PM me for details. Again, I agree with MetrowestMidwife.

Jessica- mom to four boys ,, midwife

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page