Where to move around Boston--schools, affordability, community - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-22-2009, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Mamas. This posting is for a friend whose husband just accepted a job at BU. They are looking to buy a home somewhere in/around Boston. Their kids are 4 and 2 years old now.

Schools (public), transportation, good communities for kiddos...what neighborhoods get your votes?

Thanks! Any other tips about finding community, resources etc are appreciated too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 07-22-2009, 06:26 PM

Sent you a PM!
#3 of 9 Old 07-24-2009, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

bump
#4 of 9 Old 07-24-2009, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Ooh, so many opinions.

We live in Dorchester and love it. It's right on the red line, there are some good public schools, our neighborhood has lots of kids... But Dorchester is geographically huge and very diverse. Not all the neighborhoods are nice, and really nice can be right next to really dodgy. Like I said, we love it, but some people worry.

Brookline has famously good public schools, and parts of it are on the Green C line. Other parts are quite close to BU.

Newton is another one with awesomely good schools.

Every time I go to Somerville (the north end of the red line), I run into friendly parents with kids. There are great parks and playgrounds there. Don't know that the public schools are all that though.
#5 of 9 Old 07-24-2009, 11:14 AM

A lot depends on their budget for a house--there is a tremendous amount of variability in price--though things have of course cooled off a little.

We live in Brookline and love it, it's so close to the city and totally public transportation friendly and the schools are among the best in the state - but our 800 sq ft 2 br condo cost us $375 (at the height of the market) and now we are underwater in our mortgage and can't buy anything bigger because we have no equity, and we really need a larger place now. Single families start around $600K and there are very few in that price range.

In terms of somewhat more affordable areas, I've heard great things about Arlington. I like Melrose but hear the schools aren't so great in middle and high school. Newton has a lot of public transportation and great schools and neighborhoods but is also pricey.

If you have more specific questions let us know.

Mom to DS 5/05 and DD 9/08
#6 of 9 Old 07-24-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qestia View Post
In terms of somewhat more affordable areas, I've heard great things about Arlington. I like Melrose but hear the schools aren't so great in middle and high school. Newton has a lot of public transportation and great schools and neighborhoods but is also pricey.
: about Melrose... A college friend of mine is from Melrose and while the area she live in is nice, she and her brothers all went to private schools.

Newton is great if you can afford to live there. OP, I'm sending you a PM too!
#7 of 9 Old 07-24-2009, 01:56 PM

Arlington is good, from what I hear. I'd also suggest, a little more further out, towns like Franklin and Holliston. Easy enough to get to the commuter rail, and great schools. I say this as a BU grad student and hopeful BU employee (for the tuition remission).

Come ponder with me about food!
#8 of 9 Old 07-27-2009, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone!
#9 of 9 Old 07-27-2009, 10:09 AM

We were renting in Cambridge, but ended up having to buy out in Framingham to afford a house with a decent yard under $300K. We really love it here.

We looked in Arlington because we loved it there, but there was nothing in our price range that wasn't a dump.

As for Melrose, I nannied for a boy who went through public school there (even though his parents could have afforded private school). Structurally the school building really needed some attention, but the education seemed fine. He's at MIT now!

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page