Mass, RI, ME or NH - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 08-21-2009, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My husband and I are ready to leave Philadelphia where we have lived for the past 10 years. I am applying for midwifery jobs in Eastern and Western Massachusetts (Northampton and Cambridge), New Hampshire (Dover), Maine (Scarborough) and Rhode Island Providence). In my ideal world we would live near a beach or some other body of water, have opportunities for year round outdoor recreation and generally be in a groovy, open-minded environment where we could live on mostly my salary.

If you live in one of those areas, please share your thoughts with me. Thanks. Jessi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 08-22-2009, 12:12 AM

I live in Metrowest Boston. If you like living in Philly, then you'll love Boston. We lived near Philly for a year.

However, if it were my choice, I would pick Dover, NH. That's supposed to be a great town with a great school system. Not only that but in NH there is no state income tax, no sales tax and it's near Portsmouth, NH.

I don't know Scarborough, ME, but Maine in general is great. Scarborough is close to Portland so you can pop up there for anything. The only thing with Maine is that be prepared for all the snow and winter. Do you like to do outdoor recreation in the winter? It seems like everyone in Boston heads up there or to NH for their outdoor activities.

Good luck!
#3 of 14 Old 08-22-2009, 09:50 AM

well i vote rhode island, but that is mostly because i think we need more awesome groovy midwives here. especially ones that will do homebirth -- there are only a couple of options in that department

ariana, mama to beautiful redheaded girls (oct 07) and (nov 10)

#4 of 14 Old 08-22-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancyoats View Post
well i vote rhode island, but that is mostly because i think we need more awesome groovy midwives here. especially ones that will do homebirth -- there are only a couple of options in that department
Plus we're losing one of our awesome playgroup-ers to Philly so it's only fair that we get someone from Philly to join the pg.

Sarah, Farmer, photographer, teacher, mother to Noah 05-05-06 and Del 03-27-08 and best friend to Josh 05-29-04.
Fostering sisters aged, 6, 3.5, and 2yrs since Sept 2013.
#5 of 14 Old 08-22-2009, 05:05 PM

If you'll be sending your child(ren) to private school, my first choice would be Providence (East Side).

Second choice is Cambridge. Although you'd probably get paid more in Cambridge, housing is VERY expensive.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#6 of 14 Old 08-22-2009, 09:46 PM

#7 of 14 Old 08-22-2009, 09:52 PM

I've lived in RI and worked in Boston, I would say Providence or Cambridge would be great, I'd move either place in a heartbeat. Northampton is also very cool, but rather far out in the middle of nowhere. I would consider living there though, and cost of living would be lower.

slingboy.gifTaking care of 2 girls:energy.gifblahblah.gifb& a babyboy.gif born on his mama's birthday and a few chicken3.gif
#8 of 14 Old 08-22-2009, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovermont View Post
Plus we're losing one of our awesome playgroup-ers to Philly so it's only fair that we get someone from Philly to join the pg.
yeah it would be like a trade

ariana, mama to beautiful redheaded girls (oct 07) and (nov 10)

#9 of 14 Old 08-23-2009, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for everybody's thoughts. I think I'll be heading up to Providence for an interview in a week or two. I've only heard good things about it so far...Jessi
#10 of 14 Old 08-24-2009, 12:12 AM

i grew up outside Boston and loved it there but we are rasing our family in providence ( where we do need more mid wives) and I have to say it depends on how much your willing to put in . Boston is already a cultured /green/open minded city or what ever you call it. Rhode Island is starting . more and more I see wooden toy stores and we just got a trader joes .

Shannon : married to my love Colin Mother to Maggie-Ray(5-06)high needs Rock star and CJ(4-08) Sweet Distruction:Vegitarian BFing BWing CDing Vax reserching Viniger loving Family
#11 of 14 Old 08-24-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama516/419 View Post
i grew up outside Boston and loved it there but we are rasing our family in providence ( where we do need more mid wives) and I have to say it depends on how much your willing to put in . Boston is already a cultured /green/open minded city or what ever you call it. Rhode Island is starting . more and more I see wooden toy stores and we just got a trader joes .
Yes, but RI has had Whole Foods for many years.

The East Side is definitely one of the more 'crunchy' areas.
Wakefield, RI is even more crunchy than the East Side but it's in Southern RI.

#12 of 14 Old 08-24-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama516/419 View Post
There's been a Trader Joe's in Brookline, on Beacon st., for at least 8 years. I Used to shop there all the time. I re-read your question, and honestly, I can't imagine trying to live with a family in the greater Boston area on 1 salary! But it is such a great place. What puts it above RI is awesome public transit.

RI has been crunchy for ages, It's just not as urban as Boston. But the East side of Providence especially, had been hugely crunchy since I can remember (and we moved there in 83). And there is a Trader Joe's in Warwick, RI, which isn't far from Providence at all!

Man I am so homesick thinking about this!!!!

slingboy.gifTaking care of 2 girls:energy.gifblahblah.gifb& a babyboy.gif born on his mama's birthday and a few chicken3.gif
#13 of 14 Old 08-24-2009, 11:39 AM

Northampton is crunchy and a good place for midwives. Lots of homeschoolers, local farms, museums and kid-friendly activities. Also COL is much, much lower than in Boston.

But it's not near the ocean. Or, it depends on your definition of "near" - maybe 1.5 hours is close enough for you.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#14 of 14 Old 08-24-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaMommy View Post

Man I am so homesick thinking about this!!!!
Me too.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page