favorite alternative pregnancy/birth books? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-17-2009, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
just curious which books you got and loved or hated. i want one week by week book full of information of what's going on but am focused on having a natural birth and making informed and healthy choices throughout my pregnancy so am looking for something beyond just having the typical what to expect when you're expecting but recognize a lot of the 'green baby' books can be full of hype as 'green' is so trendy right now.

anyone have any recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2009, 09:41 AM

You might want to check out the "pregnancy" board, there are many lists like this available.

I also suggest going to your public library and ordering books in, so you can see, what you like and what not, without spending a fortune.

Good Luck and Have fun!

Mom since Oct'09. Wife to a loving husband. Expecting a little bean in May'12

Old 09-17-2009, 06:59 PM

Your Best Birth: Know All Your Options, Discover the Natural Choices, and Take Back the Birth Experience by Ricki Lake & Abby Epstein is an excellent one.

You also might want to check out this reading list for more suggestions.

=================
Mama to DS (6) & DD (3) : :
Old 09-17-2009, 07:03 PM

This isn't a how-to book, but Jean Hegland's The Life Within is absolutely the best book I ever read while pregnant.

The Life Within explores the astonishing miracle of human conception and gestation from three unique perspectives. Each of its nine chapters corresponds to a month in a typical pregnancy, and describes what is happening during that time from the perspective of the author’s own experience as well as through the lenses of medical science, and the stories, customs, and beliefs that people around the world and throughout time have used to attempt to understand where babies come from and how they should be welcomed into the world.

http://www.jeanhegland.com/books/life-within/index.htm
Old 09-17-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAMom View Post
Your Best Birth: Know All Your Options, Discover the Natural Choices, and Take Back the Birth Experience by Ricki Lake & Abby Epstein is an excellent one.

You also might want to check out this reading list for more suggestions.

=================
Mama to DS (6) & DD (3) : :
Ina May's Guide to childbirth, and I also like Your Best Birth here is a list of my favorites http://www.yourbirthdoula.net/reading__viewing
Old 09-17-2009, 11:56 PM

Ina May's Guide to Childbirth

Gentle Birth gentle choices by Barbara Harper

The Birth Partner

The thinking Womens guide to a better birth

Spiritual Midwifery Ina May Gaskin

The Roots of Natural Mothering

:CLC,Doula :Mama to 2
Old 09-18-2009, 11:44 PM

I have to chip in to say my favorite book, in place of the awfulWTEWYAe is Sheila Kitzinger's The Complete Book of Pregnancy & Childbirth. It is multi ethnic and multi birth locationpictures, excellent and empowering information and has three different sections regarding stages of fetal and maternal development.

I try to keep it simple and recomment that and what others have said ...Ina May's Guide to Childbirth...she also just came out with a Breastfeeding book hcih I have not seen yet but can't wait to. So a good bfing book also is essential and The Baby Book by Sears & Sears. I think that is a good simple start...I like the suggestion of the library (we are so lucky in this country to have tha!). And The Life Within souns great...I am going to get that at the library and check it out.

Oh, also, if you want to look at childbirth issues in America I would highly recommend Pushed by Jennifer Block...it is great. And have you seen The Business of Being Born? Also an important film I wish everyone could see.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:29 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by belltree View Post
I also suggest going to your public library and ordering books in, so you can see, what you like and what not, without spending a fortune.
Many libraries are also part of a library network, so even if your local library doesn't have a particular, you can have it sent from another library. My library network lets you do all of this online, so I was able to request pretty much every pregnancy book on there. Most of them went back within a few days because they weren't right for me and I was so glad to spent the money on buying them. I did find a few I liked and it was well worth it to purchase those.

As for my favorites:

Our Bodies, Ourselves: Pregnancy and Birth: It's not a week by week one, but it's got a lot of great info and short personal comments from a diverse group of women. It covers the full range of topics from natural pregnancy and childbirth (including homebirth) to possible tests (e.g. ultrasound) and interventions (including induction and c-section). Although I was (and am) very pro natural pregnancy and childbirth, I really liked having something that non-judgmentally covered the wide spectrum of pregnancy and birth experiences and choices. It helped me think more deeply about the choices I had and why I was choosing was I was choosing. It was also very useful because I did have some complications in pregnancy, so it was good to have a resource that didn't just say "in most cases, things will be fine."

The Birth Partner: This is my favorite for labor & delivery. We ordered this for my partner, but both of us found it really interesting and helpful.

Wishing you a wonderful pregnancy and birth and beyond!

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

Old 09-23-2009, 10:28 AM

Another vote for 'Ina May's Guide to Childbirth.' That one really stuck with me through my labor. I also like 'Childbirth Without Fear' by Grantly Dick-Read. And there is always the trusted Sears Parenting Library! The Pregnancy Book is good, and for the future, I like the Baby Book too.

“He allowed himself to be swayed by his conviction that human beings are not born once and for all on the day their mothers give birth to them, but that life obliges them over and over again to give birth to themselves.” 

- Gabriel García Márquez

User Tag List