Looks like DH has shingles... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 10-15-2009, 12:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What do you think the chances are that I can get the kids to catch chicken pox from him?!?! I am taking him into the doctor tomorrow, but I am pretty sure it is what he has...classic textbook symptoms...he has had this tingling pain in his head and cheek for the past few days, and now this blistered painful rash in the area. He needs to be seen because it is all around his eye, but I am really hoping to have the kids pick this up from him! Any ideas?!? Anyone had luck with the shingles/pox transfer?

If we do get it, we will share!
#2 of 13 Old 10-15-2009, 09:32 AM

Hey! I talked to my friend who's a nurse and she said that shingles isn't airborne contagious. It's only 'contact' contagious. If it is shingles, the chicken pox virus is the same virus so people who have never had chicken pox can catch it from someone with shingles, The problem is they usually only catch it if they have contact with the fluids from the rash itself (before it scabs over, just like regular chicken pox). HTH
#3 of 13 Old 10-15-2009, 02:52 PM

I am pretty sure that shingles can spread varicella airbourne.

Anecdote: I developed CP as an adult, I have no idea who I caught it off of because nobody I know seemed to have shingles or CP. The most likely source of my CP, in my mind is an old man who was sitting near me at a rugby match, hacking and coughing away for the 2+ hours I was there. That was just about exactly 2 weeks before my spots came out.

~ Yank Transplant to Britain and Zookeeper of 4 DC age 15 and under. ~
#4 of 13 Old 10-15-2009, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

The docs say he has it, and although I feel terrible for him due to the fact he feels like crap and is in pain, I am really hoping the kids get it. He has an area on his head that looks like it is going to be a fairly large blister, and I can't wait for him to come home from work in the morning (yes, he went to work...he will only call into work if he has the stomach virus because there is no toilet close to his work area) and let the kids rub his head!
#5 of 13 Old 10-16-2009, 11:46 AM

Hope he feels better soon! Aaaaaand, I look forward to seeing if pox come out of it for your babes. We are so at your house to play if it does! Hope you and the lo's are doing good. Sending my love, always!
#6 of 13 Old 10-16-2009, 11:57 AM

No it is not air born. You can not get chicken pox from someone who has shingles unless you touch the blisters or come into contact with something that touched the blisters (t-shirt)
#7 of 13 Old 10-16-2009, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by candipooh View Post
No it is not air born. You can not get chicken pox from someone who has shingles unless you touch the blisters or come into contact with something that touched the blisters (t-shirt)
Daddy had a boo-boo on his head...he needs you to kiss it and make it better!
#8 of 13 Old 10-16-2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommymilk1 View Post
:d daddy had a boo-boo on his head...he needs you to kiss it and make it better!:d
lol. (=

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#9 of 13 Old 10-16-2009, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Jessica - Are you doing a frontier order anytime soon? I have a sizeable order, but not $250...
#10 of 13 Old 10-16-2009, 11:24 PM

Where are you located? If your kids do get CP and you're not too far from Western MA, I'd love to get some for my son!
#11 of 13 Old 10-16-2009, 11:36 PM

Hey, yeah, thinking about it. Let's get an order in before the end of October... or if you have a pressing deadline, lmk. I was going to post to the Holistic Moms group.
And we've already had the cp (you prob. knew that), so if you ever need playgroup buddies, let us know. I know we had a few days here and there where the kids were not 'sick' but we couldn't go out because they were still contagious- no need to go stir crazy(-:

Jessica

PS-- there's going to be a once monthly winter Farmers Market. I need to find out more details, but I'll email you.

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#12 of 13 Old 10-17-2009, 10:38 PM
Rie

Just the kind of post I was looking for. I have shingles. I guess thats what lack of sleep and stress do. My rash showed up today behind my knee. I was wondering how to expose my kiddos to it. The blisters hurt...I don't want to touch them and I'm sure I couldn't get my kids to. They are sleeping now...hmmm.
#13 of 13 Old 10-20-2009, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I had shingles about 7 or 8 months ago and my kids never got it, even my nursing babe(it was between my breasts) and they always climb all over me. I am hoping you all are more lucky. Shingles sucks. It hurts like nothing else I've ever had happen to me and you feel horrible.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page