hospital/birth center 4 23.53%
group classes (not in a hospital) 12 70.59%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 11-06-2009, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I’m just interested to know where everyone took childbirth classes in CT.

Privet classes in your home, hospital/birth center, group classes (not in a hospital)

hypnobirthing, Bradley, or basic preparing for birth?

What did you like or not like about it?

Did you not take classes at all?
#2 of 18 Old 11-08-2009, 10:28 PM

I took Hypnobirthing through Manchester Memorial Hospital (but taught by a non-employee). It was ok- I think it didn't prepare me fully for the hospital obstetrical machine.
#3 of 18 Old 11-09-2009, 04:52 PM

I didn't take classes because I am a CBE. I'm trying to figure out how to advertise so I can actually give classes, I am certified except having so many couple evaluations. All I have taught are private classes so far.
#4 of 18 Old 11-10-2009, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

me too! I really want to teach group a group class!
#5 of 18 Old 11-16-2009, 12:24 AM

I'm looking into becoming a CBE - where are you guys located? I'm in North Central CT.

I used a private nurse from New Britain.
#6 of 18 Old 11-16-2009, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmlife View Post
I'm looking into becoming a CBE - where are you guys located? I'm in North Central CT.

I live in Noriwch, I travel up to one hour so from (Hartrford/Newhaven all the way to Providence,RI) for CBE & Doula clients. have you checked out CBE programs yet? I did distance learning from Childbirth International and I LOVED it. good luck
#7 of 18 Old 11-17-2009, 09:07 PM

I'm working on a PPdoula with Birth Arts. The CBI program looks really interesting.
#8 of 18 Old 11-19-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmlife View Post

I'm near Hartford. I was certifying with ALACE but now they've split into 2 groups and changed their name, so I don't know if their CBE program is still good. It was good when I was doing it.
#9 of 18 Old 02-04-2010, 02:34 AM

Janet Hall of BirthPartners. I can not recommend strongly enough, she is a great teacher, and really inspiring. The class was more than a class, it was a community. She's out of the Waterbury area, but well worth traveling from just about anywhere in the state imo.

Happy fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed2.giffemalesling.GIF, delayed/selective vaxxing, WOHM to DD1 4/10 diaper.gif, DD2 8/12 babygirl.gif and partner/wife for thirteen years to SAHD DHsuperhero.gif.  

#10 of 18 Old 02-08-2010, 12:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stTimeMama4/4/10 View Post
Janet Hall of BirthPartners. I can not recommend strongly enough, she is a great teacher, and really inspiring. The class was more than a class, it was a community. She's out of the Waterbury area, but well worth traveling from just about anywhere in the state imo.

Janet is amazing and is so valuable to obtaining the power of birth. I actually try to gift her class for any of my friends who are expecting.

born to be a mom to Lilah Rose at home on 7-18-06 and a cranky wife to Johnny 12-05 ::
Home birth to Eirwen Claire on 1-06-11
#11 of 18 Old 02-09-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamille View Post

Janet is amazing and is so valuable to obtaining the power of birth. I actually try to gift her class for any of my friends who are expecting.
Another vote for Janet and her classes. They are fantastic!
#12 of 18 Old 02-11-2010, 04:52 PM

With my first pregnancy, I took the Middlesex Hospital class since I knew I was birthing there. It wasn't very helpful in terms of "how to give birth," because I'd already read a ton of books that covered the same information and way more, but it was very helpful to calming my nerves about what hospital policies were and where I might run into problems. It turned out that a lot of things I was worried about were really non-issues, and it highlighted a couple points that I did want to address with my doc and in my birth plan so that we could avoid unwanted interventions. Basically, for a Type A Capricorn, it was useful in showing me what to focus my anxieties on.

For my second pregnancy, instead of birthing classes, I took tai chi. We did a ton of energy work; I got in touch with my body physically, emotionally, and energetically. It was fantastic.
#13 of 18 Old 02-11-2010, 10:52 PM

We went with Dale Bernucca in Kensington/New Britain, who was teaching Bradley at the time and is now independent, I believe. She was a tremendous help, and ended up supporting me in my son's birth at John Dempsey Hospital (UCONN) when my water broke 7 weeks early.
All the reading I had done could not compare to her teaching and encouragement, her empowerment of the dads, and then of course her help and advocacy at the birth.

We have recommended Dale to every pregnant mother we've known since then.

We did not take the hospital class. I think we were going to go to the one-time shot just to understand what THEY expected - but then again, my son was so early.
#14 of 18 Old 04-05-2012, 01:54 PM

what excatly is a doula and how much do you charge 

#15 of 18 Old 05-09-2012, 10:15 AM

Hi Julie,

I'd be happy to share some doula info. with you.  Feel free to pm me if you are interested.  :)

Stefanie

Footprints Doula Services

Mama to Oliver 12.22.07 & Lucille 7.14.10

#16 of 18 Old 12-29-2012, 09:22 AM

Baby Moon Education Weekend Getaway - Mystic, CT March 22-24, 2013

New option for Childbirth Education Classes in our area!

It's a weekend for of exploring, connecting, learning and enjoying - a getaway with purpose - only 45 minutes from Providence, only an hour from Hartford - but far enough to feel "away" while you connect with your loved one dive into learning about normal birth!

If you're envisioning a no or low-intervention birth, if you know that birth is a state of wellness and you desire to birth your baby(ies) normally, if you trust the birth process and want to honor your experience and protect your memory of your birth, this retreat is for you!

To learn more, visit http://motherscircle.net/baby-moon-education-retreat/

Brandy Lewis likes this.
#17 of 18 Old 11-24-2013, 02:08 PM

I see you give private classes me and my girlfriend are expecting our first child in one month and want to take some parenting classes could you possible teach us?

#18 of 18 Old 02-23-2014, 04:52 PM

I took Birthing from Within with one other couple in New London with Marcia Callisman. It prepared me for the birth including things like birthing positions, and guided meditations. This was my first child that I had at home with midwives, so I ended up using some of the positions I learned in class. I also felt it prepared my husband to be supportive during labor. While Birthing from Within does cover the birth and labor, it does not cover things like parenting or breastfeeding. In particular, I wish I would have gone to a le leeche league group before having him and read more information about breastfeeding. I choose it because I was looking into classes probably later than I should have so I did not really have time for some of the more in depth options.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page