Anyone Have Chicken Pox? - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 361 Old 02-16-2011, 07:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Mwa ha ha ha!  Spread my pretties!  Spread!  ROFLMAO! 

So excited that there are so many cases!  Almost all our playdates sprouted pox so it seems to be quite a virulent strain this year!  Yay!

Just an FYI, pox is spread through droplet AND touch so if you get a blanket for sharing that can help considerably.  I think the best exposures were the ones with alot of physical contact.  This also means if you have anyone you DON'T want to get it you don't want them touching anything of the sick child's and they should not be in the child's presence for a good 7 days from start of rash and 3 day prior to rash (so 6 days from exposure just to be sure).  I don't know how long the virus can live outside of the body.

Mandi take note for your Husband if you're doing playdates at the house where he's staying!

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
#182 of 361 Old 02-17-2011, 08:15 AM

Sarah,

Just be careful with siblings.  The more exposure, the worse the case can be.  If I had realized that, I would have discouraged a little more of the contact my 2 had.  Being siblings in the same home is probably pretty much enough to guarantee exposure without the harmonica sharing, etc

Of course, a lot of it is just the luck of the draw.

If you need any playmates when you can't yet be out and about, let us know(-;

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#183 of 361 Old 02-17-2011, 01:56 PM

My kids were exposed 14 days ago...it was prime time for exposure, as the child with the pox had just started getting them the day before.  They shared harmonicas and straws for smoothies.  And they played for about 2 hours.  My kids were both so cranky and out of sorts the past two weeks.  And still...nothing.  I was sure they would wake with spots today.

I guess we still have a few more days.  I'll be so disappointed if we don't get it!  We have stayed away from friends (who don't want to get it) for 2 weeks!  I miss my friends, and the kids miss their friends.

-chelsea dust.gif
#184 of 361 Old 02-17-2011, 07:25 PM

pretty sure dd2 has them as well (Yippee!!)  probably the mildest case on record but she has 3 on her neck, a few in her diaper area and a few red spots that look like they'll turn tomorrow.  the strange thing is they are TINY.  with teeny tiny blisters.

what are people doing in regards to making it official w/the pedis?   dh asked me if I'm going to bring her in to have them see her - I'm pretty sure they dont want us anywhere near them. 

#185 of 361 Old 02-17-2011, 08:06 PM

My eldest did go to children's while having it, they just put a mask on him.  One of my daughters and my baby saw the dr after and they confirmed that the scabs def look like pox scabs, and Mal did have one or two unscabbed blisters.  Nothing really leaves marks like the chicken pox, so if you show up for an appt after it's done and scabbed, likely they'll believe you.  Many drs will take your word for it.  We also took pics.

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
#186 of 361 Old 02-18-2011, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberbrat View Post

what are people doing in regards to making it official w/the pedis?   dh asked me if I'm going to bring her in to have them see her - I'm pretty sure they dont want us anywhere near them. 

My kids had it a couple of years ago.  Our family doctor's office definitely didn't want us to bring them in (unless there were complications of course, which there weren't).  I did take pics of both of them, but the doctors office simply recorded it as CP without the pics or anything else from us except the phone call.  I think I did tell them it was a known exposure.

#187 of 361 Old 02-19-2011, 05:55 AM

Our doctors office did not want us going in either, so we took pictures. As they would not record it as CP without seeing them, we had our DD titered and through that they recorded the exposure.

#188 of 361 Old 02-19-2011, 09:52 AM

Pretty much the same, I called- told them and they did NOT want us to come in.  Said they would note it on the records.

I called again when my son came down with it.

I took photos and brought them the next visit for the charts- but I'd encourage people to call so they have things on record and you have at least something that is on paper even if it is not accepted as proof.

When we need to draw blood we have and will request the titers for varicella to have it on hand.   (My daughter needed a lead test and we decided to draw blood rather than prick her finger-- pricking is actually a lot more painful/harsh than the blood draw was- and we may continue to try to go that route if we can. The lab tech, actually said she agreed with me as long as the person has relatively 'good' veins). 

I wish I'd asked for them to measure her  rubella since that can sometimes go unnoticed- so I wish i'd given it a little more thought.  I think we also had her tested for lyme at the time, too- I know we tested my son for tick borne diseases because he had a tick on him.   She tolerated it very well, so as long as we got what we primarily needed, and she wasn't distressed, we could have probably gotten another sample and been fine.  Vit D might be another one to consider getting a measurement for, at least around here.

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#189 of 361 Old 02-19-2011, 06:19 PM

Thank you Doberbrat for having us to play today :) We had a great time and we greatly appreciate you having us!! Fingers crossed one of the kids gets chicken pox!!!

#190 of 361 Old 02-23-2011, 06:09 PM

Hi All,

New to the forum and in search of wild chicken pox.  I have two little girls (4 and 2) and kindergarten registration is coming up for my eldest.  DH and I decided we definitely don't want the shingles gamble for our girls and would love for them to catch the real thing.  If anyone anywhere in south-of-Boston, MA has the real wild strain of chicken pox, I can't begin to tell you how much I'd love to have a playdate.  Please keep us in mind!

#191 of 361 Old 02-25-2011, 11:01 PM

So my kids didn't get it.  :(  I am really surprised.  It was perfect timing, and it was a good exposure.  So we are still looking...

-chelsea dust.gif
#192 of 361 Old 02-26-2011, 03:38 PM

We are hoping to get them over with sometime this year as well, we are about 20 minutes East of Hartford, PLEASE let me know if anyone in CT or not too far up in Mass gets them!! So far all the exposures seem to be up around Boston I would prefer not to have to drive more than an hour...

#193 of 361 Old 03-03-2011, 07:58 AM

The chicken pox have made a return visit to the South Shore!  Victoria goes to the doctor to get confirmed today, but she most certainly has it.  We are on day 15 past exposure.  Open for play dates starting tomorrow.  We are in Scituate MA.winky.gif

#194 of 361 Old 03-03-2011, 11:44 AM

This is tempting :) but I am still hoping for it to come a little closer... I am about 2 hours and 20 mins from Scituate MA, bummer!

#195 of 361 Old 03-03-2011, 03:26 PM
lao

I work in a school and we just held kindergarten registration.  Our nurse said that the government is now requiring TWO varicella vaccines for entering kindergarteners.  The second shot had previously been a recommendation....

#196 of 361 Old 03-03-2011, 08:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

mommymilk1 what's your weekend like?????  :)

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#197 of 361 Old 03-04-2011, 04:23 AM

I am around all weekend...sort of house bound now for the next week!caffix.gif

#198 of 361 Old 03-04-2011, 07:08 AM

AHHHHH there is no way I can get up to Boston this weekend  mecry.gif  Here's hopin' someone can bring it closer!!!!  jog.gif

#199 of 361 Old 03-04-2011, 09:55 AM

I am expecting round 2 in about 14 days! wink1.gif
#200 of 361 Old 03-04-2011, 11:43 AM

Ugg, you are about 2hrs from us as well! I too am hoping someone can bring it north of Boston :)

#201 of 361 Old 03-05-2011, 05:22 AM

Any chance you would overnight me a few well-licked lollipops if I gave you my fedex account number? My 5 year old daughter has been exposed twice - nothing both times -- and we're anxiously trying to get another chance.

Her preschool sent a note home last week saying she needed the varicella vaccine and to get it immediately. Spoke with the director and she accepted my "religious" refusal, but next fall it's public school kindergarten, and I'd really like to prove natural immunization by then just to make things a bit easier. Though that's not really the point. I'll get the exemption one way or another. I just want to get it over with before she's 6.

If you'd be willing to fedex, let me know!

#202 of 361 Old 03-05-2011, 04:45 PM

I know I'm probably just getting my hopes up but... we are day 14 since exposure and my DS has some tiny red bumps/blisters that I noticed at bath time on his stomach, back and thighes. Here is hoping when he wakes up there will be more and they will be more like chicken poxes and less like random bumps! Hopefully we will be hosting some parties soon :)

#203 of 361 Old 03-06-2011, 05:15 PM

Here's hoping for Kingston!!!  I think I spoke to you a few years ago when you had them and for some reason we couldn't make it down.  No reasons this year, this will be my last attempt with DS #3.

Please, please, please!

Sarah

Proud mama to three bouncing unschooled boys:, Ian5/02, Connor9/04, and Andrew1/08!:::: Milk Donors!familybed2.gifwaterbirth.jpghomeschool.gifselectivevax.gifdizzy.gif

#204 of 361 Old 03-07-2011, 02:19 PM

Nothing yet, but we still have a few days... The timing is terrible for us this week, but even so, I REALLY want DS to have them! Come on CP!!

#205 of 361 Old 03-14-2011, 07:25 PM

Anyone else???  My son was rather lethargic today, here is hoping we are on round TWO!

#206 of 361 Old 03-24-2011, 08:06 AM

kid.gif Just a bump!  here chicky chicky chicky.......where are you?

#207 of 361 Old 03-24-2011, 09:51 AM

I think it passed us by this time.  :(   I was sure at least one of the girls would get lucky!  We're still looking if anyone has any to share!

#208 of 361 Old 03-24-2011, 10:05 AM

Just chiming in here.   I am also looking for some Pox.  Willing to travel a bit if anyone has some to share!

#209 of 361 Old 04-15-2011, 07:03 AM

Bumping.... I'm really hoping someone posts they have it soon!! We want Pox! We want Pox!  :)

#210 of 361 Old 04-15-2011, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

I'm the one who started this thread. My son is now 4 and he still hasn't gotten it! He's been exposed 3 times, but I haven't had a chance to expose him since he stopped nursing.

Hoping someone out there might have some to share soon.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page