Hospital stay length at Tobey in wareham - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 12-17-2009, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are expecting #3, and I was lucky to give birth to my second in a very family friendly hospital in Maine that discharged me the same day (no hassle, and NOT AMA). It was a water birth, with a midwife, and was totally awesome.

We just moved back to Mass, and I'm bummed about my options. I want a homebirth, I'll say that, but I cannot afford it. We literally *just* paid off the $ from the birth of my second (since my insurance sucked, to say the least, the deductible was atrocious -- does any plan in the Commonweath Care program cover homebirths?).

I've read great things about Tobey - has anyone birthed there and been able to leave right after (a few hours, etc), with no fuss? There is no way I'm staying in a hospital for 2 days after a natural birth... I know it's genereally up to the care provider, and assuming I go this route we are looking into Louise...

Thanks!

Michelle, Mama to ~ F (10/06) ~ S (7/08) ~ H (2/11) ~ B (11/12)
Expecting a surprise (5/15)
#2 of 9 Old 12-18-2009, 08:38 PM

Michelle,
I can only say really great things about Tobey and staff. I wanted a homebirth too and Louise was my compromise- one I was okay with after I figured out my support team.
I was reassured that Tobey would be okay but still went in distrustful. The first minute I was there I was totally reassured as my nurse calmly helped me and said some simple words that just were EXACTLY what I needed to hear. She was suggesting that I be monitored for 5 minutes, which is not even really something I objected to at all (just not at that second because I was contracting), but she also mentioned I didn't have to.... something like 'you are the one in charge, you dont have to do anything that doesn't feel right'. Everyone worked well together (I had Louise and a Doula) and the nurse really stepped back to let Lousie (midwife), dh (not that he was doing much) and Erin (doula) be with me. I got to know her more after Rebecca arrived and she was so sweet I realize that she would have stepped in more had I needed that if I hadn't already had my 'team' and in a very positive way.

A lot of my reactions were based on previous hospital distrust so I wish I had gone there w/o feeling like they were going to be against me. We refused vit k and most everythign and had decided to do the PKU screen and hearing test. They were very respectful of all our decisions even though vit K isn't one that is commonly refused.
You get the luck of the draw with the pedis' but Iknew that ahead of time... so I was prepared and expected this.

If I was to do it again I would just leave after a few hours. I might research when it is optimal to do pku and ear testing and come back for that. I just hadn't looked into that. Our pedi didn't have permission for rounds at our hospital so you have to figure out if you want to have a pedi's check or not. I guess we hoped that our pedi would have been able to see her quickly, but we just happened to get the timing wrong and he couldn't do it (I gave birth Friday 11:30 am and his office was closed afternoon- so it wouldn't be till that Monday that we could take her in..... (I wonder if he would now make an exception).

After my dd's birth I read more about the ear test and reasoned it is less likely to get a false 'fail' after the baby has dried out more from birth.... but she passed so I didn't have to do any retesting. There are specific times when the pku needs to be done (it might be w/in the first 3 days. I would also look into ways to make the pku easier, I wish I had just started off nursing her... I don't think the nurse did a great job with that.

They actually went out of there way to try to get us out of their quickly and do the newborn and pku tests-- they coud have dragged their heels because they usually have more time to do them, but they pushed our schedule ahead. We also insisted in staying with her the whole time and they brought everythign but the ear test and pku screen into our rooms to do (they just couldn't do those in our room)- which was very nice since it meant I didn't have to get up/unsettled.

I guess we figured the night over would be more convenient than coming back for the pedi check and pku, but in the end it wasn't worth it. It was still hard to sleep in the hospital and it would have been better if we'd just gone home and come back. However, they went out of their way and I LOVED all of them and I was happy to see a place where the nurses really got it. They groaned when a mom came bringing her baby to the nursery... they were all really worried about this mom. They were thrilled when she said it was so her husband could help her take a shower and they would get the baby as soon as she (mom) was cleaned up. They totally encouraged rooming in and believe that the babies should be right there with mom NOT in the nursery.

I may not be around for the next week or so, but I'm happy to talk about Louise and Tobey.... I had to rapidly type this.... but I hope I made some sense.

Jessica

PS, I call it the secret birth center on the South Shore(-;

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#3 of 9 Old 12-19-2009, 12:49 AM

Michelle,

I just wanted to chime in and confirm everything Jessica said!
I gave birth at Tobey in 2007 and prior to developing extreme
hypertension, I would've never believed I would be giving birth
in a hospital---EVER. But, it was an absolutely wonderful birth!

Louise had been my midwife for years but I had NO TRUST in
hospital environments at all, having seen the worst as a midwifery
student and a doula. I couldn't have been more surprised to find
that the entire nursing staff there was completely on board with
[nearly] totally unhindered birthing. Tobey is really a birth center
in "hospital clothing"!

None of the issues that would have to be fought over in the other
hospitals in this area are even questioned there.

Best of luck with your decisions and your birth

Lisa

Lisa, momma to DD '10 , DD '07, DS '82 and partner to DH
#4 of 9 Old 12-19-2009, 02:16 AM

Hi Michelle,

You shouldn't have any issues there at all if you want to leave early. Signing AMA is only a 'legal' piece of paper work, they are totally fine with you leaving if you want to.

The newborn exam is done by the nurses until a Ped comes in the morning. The nurses exam is just fine and you can take your babe to your dr if you want to at your convenience.

I recommend the PKU be done within a day of your milk coming in, if you choose to do the testing. Some of the tests are metabolic so are more accurate when the kiddo has a good amount of milk in the system...so this is usually by day 3 or 4 right? YOu can arrange that with the VNA, your dr, or the hospital.

The hearing test can be done at your convenience, again. The timing is not crucial...you just call up the local hospital and request it and they will tell you when to come in.

Tobey and Louise are the best hospital options and the staff is great...give them a good birth plan and you should be gold (Louise will ask you for one anyway).

As far as homebirth coverage goes...you should call your policy and ask them if they cover out of network midwives and you can find out...I am always happy to chat about it if you want to give me a call or pm me. What is your plan exactly? If it is Masshealth then no they do not cover hb at all.

Good luick!
#5 of 9 Old 12-22-2009, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all your replies!

I knew the last time I wanted to leave early, and made all arrangements with my ped's office. I had a quick exam from the ped on call at the hospital, but brought Sam to our real ped at day 2 for the PKU and for another quick exam and weight check. We did wait around for the hearing test, which I husband brought Sam to in the nursery while I showered and got dressed. From the horror stories I've heard of hospitals, I felt that we totall lucked out. And having a great midwife up there helped too.

We are in the middle of applying for Commonwealth Care or MassHeath, our application is still pending. I assumed we would be Commonwealth Care (which isn't medicaid) but I guess the income guidelines are way different than Maine's. I'm sure if Mass Heath doesn't cover HB then none of the plans will I guess.

#6 of 9 Old 01-07-2010, 12:23 AM

I too have nothing but wonderful things to say about Tobey and Louise, as well as all the nurses on staff. I delierved DD in Nov 07, and I third everything the previous posters said !
#7 of 9 Old 01-10-2010, 01:50 PM
Banned

I know you have received some good feedback but I just really had to jump on the Louise/Tobey bandwagon. I gave birth there in May (homebirth compromise because DH just refused). Louise is amazing and the staff is great too. They pretty much will do anything or nothing depending on what you want. I had a very long labor (over 40 hours) and spent a lot of time laboring in the hospital, not once was I pushed to start a pit drip or something.

As far as leaving early, I don't foresee a problem. They are a very small hospital and when I was there it was quite crowded (full moon go figure) and the only thing negative I could possibly say was that they practically pushed us out because they were over crowded a bit. Not pushy at all but tried to gently nudge the first time parents to get the heck out of the hospital because all was well on our second day!

Louise is absolutely amazing I just have to add!
#8 of 9 Old 01-12-2010, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

For those who used Louise, does she have a backup MW?
I ask because yesterday our first appt was cancelled because of someone in labor and it made me think since it's a one MW office that could pose an issue.

#9 of 9 Old 07-25-2014, 08:35 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
No, but she doesn't seem to take vacations either. She only delivers at Tobey, so if you go into labor she is already there. I have had appointments rescheduled so she could attend to someone in labor, but honestly I would want that if I were the mom in labor, so I consider it a minor inconvenience. I birthed with her in September 2011 with my second.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page